Cold Hearts

You're Still My No. 1

After a week or so, things became normal again.

SORRY that was my wishful thinking. NO. Things did not exactly turn good. In fact, I was beginning to worry for Yoona. She became really quiet and distracted these few days. Whenever I ask her something, she would give me out-of-this-world answers. Take one example, I would ask her how was school and she would reply me that she had eaten lunch. I mean, if no one's stressing her out, what else can be the reason?

My second most worried problem - Miss Jessica Jung.

We both talked to each other a lot - that was good. She was pretty icy to the rest of the world except for Jung Min and her friend, which earned her the nickname Ice Princess. She practically chased me from the third level to the canteen after I called her that for the first time but now she's fine with that. Phew.

Jessica wasn't attention seeking. She didn't wear much make-up. She dressed plainly, not adding extra things like sequins to her uniform like other girls. They folded up their skirts but she didn't. One day, I asked her why she didn't want to dress prettily. Her face turned stony and a little angry and she looked away from me for a while while biting her lips as if she was thinking of something bitter. Then she looked at me with sad eyes, "No... I just don't like to wear too prettily..." Then she looked away and sighed. I never asked her why.

Now in school, despite trying to blend in and not be noticed, more and more people were noticing her. They would whisper when Jessica walked in the corridors and she would give her her ice dagger stare. After these few days, I noticed that she tended to be suspicious of people outside of our class. Sometimes, when some boys in my class wave and smile to her, she would look at them suspiciously and ignore them. To the girls, she was a very scary person. They didn't dare to befriend her because they were scared that she would snap at them. Only one person person became her friend, Hwa Min. Hwa Min was a pretty out-going person adn she was brave in her own way to make friends with Jessica. Jessica sure knew how to pick good friends.

Because of this, most of them ganged up against her. The biggest ring leader was obviously Nicole. She kept taunting Jessica and bullying. Sometimes, she would 'accidentally' spil water over her worksheets and walk away laughing. Jessica seemed immune to it. She told me she was okay with all these but I knew that she was getting tired of it. I didn't know how she could stand all of Nicole's trash any longer.

I was really angry at Nicole and her gang but I couldn't do anything against her. Everyone in the cohort knew that Nicole could do anything to get her revenge. Behind that cute and pretty cover was an evil witch. Sica and I called her 'witch' behind her back. So like whenever Nicole was coming, we would say "witch alert!" It was pretty epic.

This continued for a long time. Soon everybody was like targeting Jessica. I didn't say anything. Blame me for being a coward. I desparately wanted to help Jessica but she always told me not to worry about Nicole and her. She was a really strong-willed person.

Then, one day, everything in my life changed forever, just because Jessica revealed something that she had been hiding. Its amazing how a sentence can change everything.