What Is Love?

You're Still My No. 1

You know, in stories they always write 'love at first sight'. I thought it was just plain rubbish. None of that actually happened in real life. I always believed in that right until my sis, Yoona did exactly what I thought was impossible.


It was a week before summer break ended, then school terror starts. I wasn't really thrilled to go back to school a year older. Yep 17. 11th Grade. Grumpy teachers to face again. Not to mention the fact that I was constantly thinking of Jessica, did not exactly improve my mood.

Yoona decided to pull me out for a walk on a fine Sunday morning - while I was still asleep. Not. Fun.

"Oppa! Wake up! I want to go out for a walk!", a voice filled my room. I refused to move an inch. A pair of hands whipped the blanket off me and bright light flooded my eyes. "Urgh...", I mumbled groggily as I my back and covered my head with my pillow.

"Ya! Jonghyun oppa! WAKE UP NOW.", the girl's voice rang again. This time, she slapped my arm hard. I sluggishly turned back over and opened my eyes a little. A gir's face was glaring at me. Short hair, pretty eyes, milky white skin... Yep. It was Yoona.

I groaned, "Yoona-ah... Can you go and take a walk by yourself? I'm really tired." Yoona pleading, "Pleaseeeee. You haven't accompanied me for a long time." I opened an eye and saw Yoona giving me a puppy-eyed look.

"Aish... Okay fine... I'll follow you.", I gave in and sat up, rubbing my eyes. "Yay!", Yoona cheered as she sped out of my room and I could hear her thumping down the stairs. I took in a deep breath and got out of my bed. Still groggy, I dragged my feet across the wooden floor to my cupboard where I stored my clothes. I opened it and took out a random tee-shirt and a pair of jeans. Then, I made my way to the bathroom.

It seemed to take forever to reach it. Sometimes, I wished that my room wasn't that big.

I woke up totally after washing up. Without bothering to comb my hair, I s past all the musical instruments that were lying around in my room. It was a very, messy sight. Papers were lying all around the room, the keyboard still from last night. You see, I had been a little busy writing a new song these days. So... Yea.

I picked up all the pieces of papers a placed them neatly into one pile. I sifted through the papers, looking at the work I'd done so far. So many weeks of hard work...

I placed them aside and walked out of my room.

I treaded lightly downstairs. My living room... Okay, not exactly 'living room'. It was really big. A large chandelier hung from the ceiling. The living room was in a antique setting. Almost everything was made of wood. The lights casted a yellow hue on the furniture. Okay long story cut short - my family was rich. Not boasting. Just telling you the truth. Sometimes, I hated being 'rich'. My friends thought that I was some 'deity' or something.

Yoona was already downstairs waiting for me. Considering her usual style, she looked like she was planning to be simple today. She wore a white blouse and a pair of skinny jeans. She smiled at me and did a little wave to me when she saw me coming down the staircase. Then she made her way towards the front door and took out a pair of jogging shoes  and prepared to wear it.

I made my way towards the dining table. I saw mum sitting down there, eating toast whie reading newspapers. "Good morning Mum.", I said casually as I picked up a cheese sandwich and took a bite. Mum put down the newspaper when she heard my voice and she smiled at me. She scanned my dressing and said, "You're going out?"

"Yep. With Yoona.", I replied as I took another bite. She nodded approvingly. "By the way, where's Dad?", I asked, popping the last bits of the sandwich into my mouth. "Oh he's at the office. He has a lot of work to do nowadays.", Mum replied as she brought the newspaper up to her face and continued reading.

I dusted my hands and walked towards the main door. "Bye Mum! See you later.", I called as I slipped on my sneakers and walked out of the house. Yoona was waiting for me outside, frowning at me. I suddenly felt self-conscious.

"What did I do wrong again, Your Highness?"

"What took you so long?"

"Gosh! I was talking to Mum."

"Why is your hair so messy?"

"Uh... I forgot to comb it..."

Yoona gave me a disgusted look. Then she sighed, "You've never changed..." She smiled at me wryly and said, "Let's go." Then we both walked down the quiet street, enjoying the cool morning breeze.


A while later, we were busy playing the game of catch. Yea. Pretty childish for a 16-year-old and a 17-year-old. But like my dad says, "Be young at heart." Yeah I know. He's a great dad.

We were busy running down the streets, laughing and yelling. You see, we were living in a rural part of Korea. It was so quiet and peaceful here, we could make as much noise as we liked. There were a few more mansions nearby but most of them were empty. Recently, I noticed a lot of activity around one of the mansions in this area. Probably a new family moving in.

Yoona and I were running (as I said). Yoona was busy running in front of me, looking back once in a while to tease me. Suddenly, a teenage boy with dark black hair cut in a mushroom cut walked around the corner humming a song. Yoona was still running like mad in his direction. My eyes flew open wide when I saw what was happening.

"Yoona! Stop running!", I yelled as I ran towards them. Yoona heard me and turned her head back forward. She gasped and tried to stop but she could not. Sure enough, the boy and Yoona crashed into each other in a crumpled heap.

I winced as I hurried towards them. Yoona stood up slowly, followed by the teenage boy. He wore a grey tee and his mushroom hair was dishevelled after the fall. He rubbed his head while standing up. Yoona instantly fretted and asked quickly, "Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry! Are you alright?" She then bent down to help the boy pick up his phone. The boy replied quickly while stuffing his earpieces into his jeans' pocket, "No no no. I'm fine! I'm alright."

Yoona passed the phone to the boy and the boy said while he looked up, "Thank you-" The moment they two locked eye contact with each other, I swear I could feel the air turned electric. Electric with love? Or hate? I don't know.

A few minutes passed by in stillness. The boy's jaws dropped in surprise, then he grinned. I realised that he was pretty cute. "Hey! Aren't you Yoona?", asked the boy. Yoona unfroze and her face switched from shock to an apprehensive look. The boy ignorant of her questioning looks, said again, "We met at a dance festival, remember?"

"When was it?", Yoona asked, now turning a little curious. A little smile creeped onto her face.

"Two years ago. The Inter-school Dance Competition. We both won first place, remember?", the boy said patiently.

Yoona stared at him. Then the truth dawned on her face. "OH OH OH I remember! Your dancing was awesome!", she squealed. "Your's too!", the boy replied with a grin on his face.

I looked at Yoona with wonder. She spoke to the boy with such care. The moment she saw the boy, I noticed that her eyes went a little brighter than usual. Hmm...

"Er... My dear Yoona, sorry to disturb your reunion, but I am not dead yet.", I said as I walked towards them. "Oh sorry oppa!", Yoona mumbled. The boy turned towards me and gave me a bright smile. He shook my hand and said, "Hi! I'm Taemin."

Taemin. That struck a chord in my mind. I tried to keep that thought aside first. But now, I wondered about something else. This boy talked to me in such a casual yet firm voice and he shook hands with me... No normal person would do that, unless they were trained in it... I remembered my dad saying to me when he was training me, "Next time, when you take over my business, this will be very important. When you meet new people, talk to them casually, but not to a degree that they think that you are too carefree. Shake hands too. That's basic respect."

Which meant only one thing, this boy had to be of a higher class. Not boasting but seriously.

I then said, "I'm Jonghyun. Yoona's oppa." Taemin smiled again. Gosh he was just cute. "Er... How did you two know each other?", I asked curiously as I pointed at both of them. Yoona blushed and said, "Well, we met at a Dance Competition. But we only talked to each other briefly."

"Yeah. And her dancing was awesome!"

"Ya! Taemin! Stop saying that."

"Oh... Yoona, I didn't know you liked dancing so much.", I said cheekily. Her cheeks flushed pink ad she glared at me, "Like I criticise your passion for singing Oppa." "Ah... fine.", I mumbled as I glared back at her.

Taemin gave a little laugh. He looked at me and said, "Jonghyun hyung, you remind me alot of my older brother." "Really?", I asked. Taemin nodded.

"How old is he?"

"16. Same as me."

"Then why is he older than you?"

"He's a few months older than me. How old are you hyung?"

"17."

Jonghyun forced the suspicions down his throat. Then, Yoona asked cheerfully, "Hey. Why don't we go and eat ice cream!" Taemin nodded excitedly like a little puppy. Jonghyun couldn't help smiling. This kid had the same effects as Jessica. "Okay!", Jonghyun agreed.

Along the way, they had a totally lively conversation. Soon, they were talking like old friends. Especially, Yoona and Taemin. They talked so animatedly about dancing. Then Jonghyun asked, "Hey Taemin! You just moved here right?"

"Yeah. My dad wanted a more peaceful place to live in. My noona too."

"Oh... Does your noona happen to be called Jessica?"

"Nope. She's called Soo Yeon. Why?"

"Oh nothing. Just a question."

Jonghyun did not know what to feel at the moment. He felt sad and relieved at the same time. Sad because he wanted to see Jessica and on the other hand he didn't really what to talk to her if he really met her one day. So he just waved the question aside.

Soon, the trio had finished their 'adventure' for the day. Taemin walked with them until they reached their house. Taemin had given them his number and Yoona looked like she was about to faint. I decided to bring Yoona back into the house before she started hyperventilating.

"Okay bye Taemin! See you another day!", I called out. "Bye hyung!", Taemin said while smiling. Yoona gave him a wave and he waved back. Then, Taemin walked away with a bounce in each of his step.

The moment they stepped into the house, a voice called out, "Jonghyun! Yoona! You're back!" I turned around and saw my dad smiling at me. He was seated at one of the sofas in the living room. I gave him a fistbump and flashed a grin at him. Dad ruffled my hair. "Ah... Dad!", I complained. Yoona went forward and hugged Mum, who was unusually happy today.

"What's up with the grin Mum?", Yoona asked. "I'm happy that you made friends.", she replied cheerfully. "How did you know?", Jonghyun asked curiously. We saw you two talking to a boy outside just now. He seems quite nice. What's his name?", Mum asked. "Taemin.", we both said at the same time. "He has a hyung and a noona, and he is nice.", Yoona said excitedly. Dad nodded. "Well, that's off to a good start." "Seo Rin, I think we should start to get to know the parents of that househould.", Dad said to Mum directly. Mum smiled and nodded.

Just then, a housemaid went forward and said politely, "Mr and Mrs Kim, dinner will be ready in half an hour." "Thank you Jun Ri.", Mum said kindly. The maid bowed and left "Well, you two kids better get washed up quickly. You don't want Dad eating up your portion of your food right?", Mum said in a matter-of-factly way.

Yoona doubled over in laughter as she got up from the sofa and pulled Jonghyun by the hand and they ran up the staircase back to their rooms. Just before Yoona entered her room, Jonghyun asked her, "Are you in love with Taemin?" She sighed, "I don't know, honestly. I can't explain it. When I saw him today, I felt very happy. Finally, I could have someone that had the same interests as me and probably empathasize with me." After a while of silence, she looked at me with eyes deep with emotion and asked,

"What is love?"


Hehe 2nd chapter!!! Hope it was good! Please enjoy it! Please comment and subcribe too! Thank you very much! ^^