IX

Roommates

You couldn’t help but swallow harshly as you took in the look on his face. Disappointed, for sure, but there was something else there that you couldn’t quite read.

He opened his mouth before you could, cutting you off. “Yeah, I guess I was a bit rude at dinner and I want to apologize. Sorry.” Baekhyun muttered the last bit and looked over at you to see if his apology passed for enough.  Though you thought it didn’t, Jongin seemed to think the opposite, or maybe he still didn’t care.

“Don’t worry about it. I was rude to you, too.” Jongin set the towel back down on the counter and turned the bathroom light off, placing his hand on your lower back to slip past you and out of the bathroom. Baekhyun’s eyes were quick to catch this small gesture; his eyes flashing back to Jongin’s expressionless face.

You moved out of the way for him and watched Baekhyun as you did, not making much of Jongin’s touch, and barely noticing it for that matter. Really, you were just trying to figure your boyfriend out. Was he always this tense around you? Or was it just because you were in the presence of another man?

“Babe, you should get ready for bed. I’m gonna bring my suitcases upstairs then I’ll come join you.” Baekhyun made a motion with his head that he was about to head downstairs. But Jongin quickly placed his hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder. “I’ll help you with them.” A feeling of annoyance suddenly washed over your boyfriend at this. He really just wanted to get the stuff upstairs and go to bed, but he knew you’d get mad if he turned down his offer.

“Thanks.” He gave a slight nod before the two of them descended down the stairs together. Once they were out of sight, you got into the bathroom and closed the door, undressing for a quick shower.

Baekhyun crouched down to his carry-on bag and fished out his phone, checking for any messages. When he saw he didn’t have any, he set his phone down on the first stair and grabbed one of the suitcases.  Jongin watched him for a moment before trying to figure out how to get the handle down on the other suitcase. His fingers fumbled hurriedly with it, trying to get it down, but it still wouldn’t budge. The hell is wrong with this thing? Finally, with a click, the handle went down and Jongin lifted the luggage up. As he did, out of the corner of his eye he saw Baekhyun’s phone light up. Jongin set the luggage back down to get a closer look of why it did.

Song Jihae  9:59 PM

Yeobo, have you arrived-

Jongin read the message preview, brows instantly furrowing. Hold on, Song Jihae? He had a family friend of the same name. Sure there are probably many Song Jihae’s in the world, but what chance is there of a different Song Jihae knowing him? They both go to Harvard…

His attention slowly peeled away from the phone and to the stairs. As if he was checking whether Baekhyun was coming or not, he leaned back slightly to see further around the railing. Confirming that the coast was clear, he quickly set the luggage down and picked the phone up, sliding his thumb across the screen and opening the text message.

“Yeobo, have you arrived in Seoul yet? You haven’t called and I need to go to class, but I don’t want to miss your call when you do. Oppa, what should I do? Should I go to class or wait for you instead? Just hurry and call when you see this.”

Jongin his lips nervously as he read through the text. His thumb pulled the conversation down, curious as to what Baekhyun’s last text was to her.

“Babe, don’t forget to pick up shampoo later. I’ll need it for my trip.”

Jongin let his hand fall, the phone still clenched in it. He closed his eyes for a moment and sighed, not needing to read further to understand what was going on.

Baekhyun turned the railing of the stairs and looked at him. “What are you doing?” The younger opened his eyes when he heard his voice and clearly set the phone back down on the stairs before taking the luggage and heading up the stairs.

Baekhyun’s expression instantly turned into one of anger. “What the were you doing with my phone?” He stepped into Jongin’s way, blocking him from getting past.

The two of them stood on the stairs, staring at each other intensely. “Did Jihae remember to get your shampoo? She’s expecting a call, you know.” He forced the suitcase he was carrying into Baekhyun’s arms and brushed harshly passed him, making his way up the rest of the steps.  

Baekhyun looked down the empty stairs in disbelief. He got caught, caught by the guy who was without a doubt going to tell you.

As his phone lit up again, Jihae, probably deciding to wait for her ‘yeobo’, rather than to go to class, he dropped the heavy suitcase down the stairs, paying the littlest attention to it as it made its way down loudly.  

“If you tell her, it’ll crush her even more than it would when I tell her myself.” Baekhyun quickly turned to look at Jongin’s retreating figure. “If you tell her, everything will be ruined. Her entire time spent here with you would have been a waste. What about your friendship? You really think she’ll stick around to kiss your shoes, thank you for telling her the worst possible thing a girlfriend of three, almost four years could hear?” Jongin suddenly stopped walking at the realization. He was right. There was no way he could tell you without everything falling apart. To think only your relationship with Baekhyun would be affected, was irrational. No, you of course wouldn’t stick around and stay with Jongin. Jongin was only a friend to you, not your hero, and he knew that. What reason would you have to stay here with him? Suddenly, the United States seemed so much further than it already did.

Jongin turned around slowly and looked at him. “So, you’ll tell her yourself?”

Baekhyun’s expression was blank, his bottom lip folding under his upper. A few moments went past before he finally answered his question.

“It’s not your place to tell her. She deserves to hear it from me, right?” Though it wasn’t much of a question, for he already knew the answer. He glanced at Jongin before making his way back down the stairs to stuff his phone in his pocket and pick up the suitcase that had rolled back down onto the floor, lying on its side.

Jongin remained quiet as he watched him and nodded to himself, heading into his bedroom when he saw the bathroom door handle turn open.

You stepped out of the bathroom, freshened up now and nearly ready for bed. Your eyes fluttered up suddenly when Baekhyun appeared at the top of the stairs carrying a suitcase. “That took a while? How much did you bring?”

Completely oblivious to what just took place, you flushed beat red, realizing Baekhyun hadn’t seen you like this in months; your towel the only thing keeping him from seeing your body, wrapped around your body securely, and damp hair sprawled across your shoulders.

You looked down at the hardwood floor and headed for your bedroom, only making out a few words from his reply.  

Baekhyun carried the suitcase after you and closed the door once the two of you were both inside.

You clutched at the top of your towel, as if it was about to come undone from around your body on its own. Why were you acting like this suddenly? As if he was a stranger? He had seen you like this before, and countless times.

Baekhyun set the luggage down on the bed and ped it, fetching something comfortable to get dressed into; completely unaware of the stares you were sending him from across the room.

It hadn’t been until this moment when you realized just how much you needed him- ually. Though, you had to giggle quietly to yourself at the thought.

“Yeobo?” A slight chill ran down his spine at the name.

You pulled the towel away from yourself and took small steps towards him, your arms snaking their way around his waist.

He rested his long fingers against the sides of his suitcase, keeping himself from buckling underneath you when he felt your s against his back.

“Y-Yeah?” His voice was almost numb-sounding, his head tilting over his shoulder so he could see you somewhat.

You gave a slight smirk, resting your chin on his shoulder. “I can’t go to sleep with wet hair. It’ll take another hour or so for it to dry completely…”

He gave a dry laugh. “Then, what do you suppose we should do for the next hour or so?”

 

And as the two of you made love that night, Jongin’s words continuously ran through his mind. ‘She’s expecting a call, you know.’

 

Author's Note:

I want your feedback. I didn't receive any from my last update. Look, I even updated sooner than a month this time; only two weeks! 

So comment or y'all aren't getting an update until next year, March. I'm kidding, but seriously ><