VI

Roommates

And of course, Jongin hadn’t woken up after five minutes. So, instead of disrupting his sleep, you snuck away from his warmth and made your way downstairs. Although, something made you feel saddened at the fact that he hadn’t pulled you back in.

Today was the day. You’d find yourself a job, perhaps working in a café. Maybe even in a pet store. But you were leaning more towards café; you knew those uniforms would be cuter than cute.

But little did you know, your boyfriend was across the Pacific Ocean with a job of his own, a part-time tutor. To none other than Jihae. And little did your boyfriend know that Jihae was never listening to a thing he’d teach her. Those moments when she’d lock eyes with his, or when she’d hug onto his arm? It was then when all those feelings she once felt, came back.

As for Baekhyun?

He still didn’t have a clue as to why he acted the way he did when he said goodbye. Was it just from seeing an old love? Or was he deprived of yours? But it’d never happen again, he promised himself. Though seeing Jihae made a part of Baekhyun flutter. He couldn’t quite explain this flutter. But seeing her, after all this time? He loved it.

Still in your pyjamas and seated at the kitchen table, you read through the local newspaper, hoping, praying that’d you’d find a café that was hiring.

Café Latte

NOW HIRING

Your prayers had been answered and you shot up from your chair, holding the paper up for better lighting. In a matter of seconds, the address was memorized and your eyes squeezed shut as you smiled. That’s when you stopped yourself, your face returning to its normal expression.

Jongin.

You had picked up one of his mannerisms. That cute squint he would do whenever he smiled.

The paper was tossed back down to the table. Where was that pabo anyway? He should be up by now.

“Kim Jongin!” You shouted on the way up the stairs.

There was no denying that Jongin was attractive, and the fact that he was single? Something you’d never be able to understand. It was a wonder why you hadn’t fallen for him. But as if by instinct, every time Jongin did something out of the ordinary, Baekhyun’s face would replace Jongin’s. As cliché as it sounds, Baekhyun really was the only man you had eyes for.

“Are you incapable of wearing clothes?” You gawked, watching him sit at the foot on his bed, thumbing through his phone.

“Morning, beautiful.” He said smugly, his eyes never leaving his phone. “And I am wearing clothes.”

You grumbled quietly and pressed your arm into the doorframe of his bedroom, leaning against it. “Your boxers hardly count as clothes. What happened to your sweats?”

“I got hot.” Jongin tossed his phone onto the mattress and stood, walking past you and into the bathroom.

You wondered then who he could have been texting. Jongin had only spoken to you about one of his friends, Moonkyu. But surely he must have had others. Jongin was attractive after all. Maybe a girl?

Your curiosity got the better of you and you scurried to pick up his phone.

A passcode.

Well, you hadn’t exactly thought this part out. Address? Address.

1025….Wrong.

Crap. Crap. Crap. Think. Think!

His favourite number?

1414….No, that was a stupid thought.

His birthday?

0114….

Of course. Who else would have their passcode set as their birthday but Mr. Conceited Kim Jongin?

His phone unlocked and a conversation appeared that he had left open. Song Jihae.

Jihae, huh?

As if your thumb had a mind of its own, it began scrolling up further into their conversation.

Yah. You’re such a liar.

I’d never tell a lie. Have you met up with that friend of yours yet?

Neh~^^ He’s just as cute as I remember him to be. He’s actually tutoring me in a few of my courses.

A few? Or all?

Shut up. And before he KISSED ME GOODNIGHT, he offered to take me out for ice cream tomorrow.

Congratulations. You’ve hit the jackpot.

Hmm…Whoever this Jihae was, Jongin –judging by his replies- didn’t seem that interested. And you wondered why this even concerned you in the first place.

“It seems you’ve mixed up your phone with mine.” His voice cut into your thoughts, his finger giving your shoulder a quick two taps.

You whipped around and gave it to him immediately. “I- Oh..Right.” Damn, not knowing this Jihae chick’s identity would bother you for the rest of the day. Should you ask? No. He’d get mad for sure if he knew you had gone through their conversation.

“Who’s Jihae?”

Great.

“You went through my texts?” His brow cocked, arms crossing themselves over his chest.

“A-Aniyo! It was the open when I unlocked- It was a forced read, I promise!”

Jongin didn’t understand why you would want to go through his phone in the first place. But despite his wonders, he liked it.

“A family friend; Song Jihae. She lives here during the summer with her Aunt and Uncle, who are friends with my Dad. But she lives in the US right now; went back for college.”

You seemed to relax at his explanation, though you still wanted to ask questions about her.

“Which college does she go to?”

“Harvard.”

Your eyes widened at that. “Wah. My boyfriend too.” Your lips curved into a smile, which they always did whenever you talked about Baekhyun. Speaking of which, you should probably give him a call tonight.

“Hm. Maybe they know each other.” Jongin brushed the topic off because his lips did the opposite of yours whenever the boyfriend was mentioned.

“Maybe. Anyway, can you drive me somewhere? I’m applying for a job.”