The Memories

Fools
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

”GaEul!!!!!!!” JanDi shrieked as she was running down the Gu Mansion’s stairs.

“JanDi ah… ” GaEul smiled, her arms spread, welcoming her best friend into her embrace.

”GaEul!!!!!!” JanDi had her best friend’s name chanted while hugging her so tight that the latter nearly died of suffocation. ”GaEul ah. GaEul ah. GaEul ah. I really missed you. So, so much” JanDi finally let go of GaEul’s shell, only to realize that there was another physical being  standing next to her.

“Who . . . .?” JanDi narrowed her eyes into slits, while trying hard to recall the person’s identity from her brain.

”JanDi yah. Don’t you remember? Our little brother?” GaEul eyed JanDi, her tongue stuck out as a form of incitement.

”Sorry . . . I . . . don’t really . . .” JanDi stated in confusion. Maybe it was caused by the stacks of medical terms and procedures, but she couldn’t recall anything from her brain. She don’t remember knowing anyone else as tall as him other than her own calcium overdosed husband.

”JanDi noona. It had been a long time” JongSuk bowed to JanDi. He shoot his right eyebrow upward. “Don’t you remember me?” He slowly brought his fist onto his head. “Fatty bear” he puffed his cheeks, trying to reincarnate his old self, the chubby 10 years old who will do anything to get his hand on a choco pie.

“LEE JONG SUK?” JanDi nearly yelled out. She let out a sceptical groan as she scanned the handsome young lad standing before her. “Lee Jong Suk?” she once again blurted as she was still having a hard time believing her eyes.

“Noona, Hello” JongSuk flashed a wide grin, glad to see the unchanged JanDi.

****

“GaEul ah… How have you been?” JanDi carefully asked. She had her eyes locked on her best friend who was staring out of the balcony, into the green scenery of the Gu Mansion’s back lawn.

“I’m fine.  I guess” GaEul uttered, her gaze were still laid on the greenwood that somehow surrounded the mansion, shielding the lair of the affluent, renowned family from the outside world.  While her gaze was intact with the greenery and a smile plastered on her face, her mind was actually experiencing a tornado of thought.

She was really astounded on how life actually had revolved around her, that without her knowing, her notorious older brother was now a world famous celebrity, her best friend was suddenly married to an aristocrat, which brought her mind to wonder if her life too, had went through the same drastic transformation.

Though that she had never mentioned it before, at times she felt a strange sensation, something like déjà vu, whenever she saw or did something unfamiliar, like the times when she mingled with the village kids, when she went to the market to shop for groceries, and the most unforgettable kiss she shared with YiJeong. Those weird feelings had her wondering about her recent life, which she had totally no idea about due to her brother act of sending her to the remote village of Gwangju. Her memory isn’t recovering, and she thought that she would do anything to at least get an idea of what her once pathetic life had turned about.

“I’m sorry I didn’t visit you” JanDi reluctantly mentioned, waking GaEul up from her deep state of daze. JanDi felt deeply apologetic for not even once had the chance to visit her one and only best friend at the time she needed her the most.

“Madam” a middle aged housekeeper suddenly called for JanDi before GaEul could reply to JanDi’s radical statement. ‘There is a phone call for you, from Director Han” the housekeeper continued.

“GaEul ah… Wait for a while …. I’ll go get the call” JanDi stood up and made her way apace to the Gu’s home office.

“Don’t worry about me” GaEul replied with a sincere smile. She then spent the next five awkward minutes on her seat, surrounded by five housekeepers wearing black and white uniform who has been waiting to attend her needs.

“Can I…. Look around?” GaEul finally opened and asked hesitantly to one of the housekeeper.

“Sure. Please do so.” the housekeeper who seemed to be an experienced one bowed respectfully. Relieved, GaEul scuttled her way past the line of housekeepers out of the living room, through the wide stairs of the Gu mansion, towards the ground floor corridor. A silent “Woaaa” escaped GaEul’s lips unknowingly as her eyes wandered around the ground floor’s classic interior. Her eyes slowly trailed along the parade of painting on the wall until she reached the end of the corridor, at an area with a full height cabinet fully occupied with trophies.

There were trophies of various shapes and colours, added with hundreds of medals hanged neatly in the cabinet’s internal wall. “This must be real gold” GaEul mumbled while she ran her fingers on an old-looking medal. GaEul’s eyes doesn’t stop their wondrous conduct for a while until they caught a view that made her stopped abruptly. The view was apparently focusing on a picture of JanDi’s curly haired husband, linking arms with three young men, one of them blonde, one of them with red hair, and the one at the most edge was a familiar black haired lad.

“KIMBEOM?” she blurted out the moment she laid her eyes on the picture.

“GaEul ah…” JanDi who came in searching for GaEul after a lengthy conversation with the professor saw her best friend stood frozen in front of the trophy cabinet. It doesn’t took JanDi long for her to realize that GaEul was actually staring at the group picture of F4, and she immediately felt a gush of goose bumps travelling down her spine.

She went into a sudden state of panic as she could not properly brain on the right thing to do. Deep inside, she wanted to tell every single thing to GaEul so badly, but then it struck her that she had promised SeungHyun about the matter of keeping her past memory a secret, and as a doctor herself, she knew very well that forcing memories to an amnesia patient would most probably affect them negatively.

GaEul at the other side was still having her eyes stuck on the piece of photogr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter