Equilibrum

Game of Probability
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

GA IN 

---

A few days later.

We’re going to visit Kwonnie’s parents again. Really, I’m not at all looking forward to it. For one, I have no wish to listen to Kwon’s Dad slam me in such a manner, even if I might be accustomed to it already.

 

Surprisingly, he’s in a strangely good mood today. He even smiles at me when I greet him. Then he invites me to sit.

 

“Kwon.”
“Yes, Dad?”

“Your Dad realizes that since none of us can do anything about the situation, it’s best for us to accept the situation as is and move on.” His Mom is playing the difficult role of peacemaker today.

From Kwonnie’s sudden jerk, I know he’s taken aback, “Really?”

He grunts, “What can I do about it? You only ever argue with me over two things. The first is singing, and guess what, you won that one. The second is Ga In. Funnily enough your Mom always sides with you. I guess she must have a point. It’s your life after all.”

The complete turnaround takes me by surprise. I was prepared to have his Dad continue making jabs at me. Kwonnie pats my hand repeatedly to express his relief.

“Don’t look so shocked, Ga In. His Mom has managed to put it all into perspective for me. How things would be from your point of view. It honestly isn’t much more appealing than Kwon’s, if at all. Either way, since you’ll have come to a decision, it’s better for me to offer my blessings than fight two stubborn people.”

 

That reduces me to expressing my thanks in some incoherent way. I’m thankful, really thankful that Kwonnie’s Dad is letting me off the hook so easily. After years of sparring with him, he’s going to stop speaking of me like that?

 

“It’s okay, Ga In-ah, it’s okay,” Kwonnie murmurs as he my back.

“Can’t believe this is the same girl I’ve been quarreling with.”

“I’ve always told you that Ga In is a nice girl, just that you keep saying the wrong things to her,” Kwon’s Mom scolds, but kindly.

He sighs, “Kwon wants children more than we want grandchildren. You must be aware that he really adores them. If he chooses you anyway, nothing I say will make any difference.”

“This isn’t what I wanted. It really isn’t what I wanted. I knew that Kwonnie loves children. Maybe Dad won’t believe me, but I wanted, I wished to have children with Kwonnie. But I can’t, and it stinks, because I know that’s what he wishes for, and it will make him very, very happy. I want to make him happy, but I can’t.”

The comforting on my back doesn’t cease.

“And yet you were passing smart comments at me. You puzzle me, Ga In.”

“Dad, you specifically said a bo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter