Normality

Game of Probability
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

GA IN

---

A week later.

 

We are getting an unending number of questions regarding what exactly is up with us. Why we are choosing to drown ourselves in work instead of spending time together. I surmise that is a veiled question on why we didn’t eventually go on a honeymoon. It’s not going to go down all too well, but I can’t tell them that.

They ask why we don’t appear to be excessively lovey-dovey like most newlyweds are. They actually ask if I’m happy.

 

That rattles me. It rattles me to the core. This is affecting us, affecting the relationship that I am dead set on holding on to come what may. As much as I hope this is a figment of my imagination, I know it isn’t from the sheer number of concerned questions that I’m getting.

 

I fear the trust between us is eroding. Kwonnie doesn’t tell me as much as he used to. He doesn’t talk with me as much as we used to. More than that, I fear that Kwon is avoiding me. He doesn’t touch me as much as he used to. I miss it. But most of all, I fear that Kwonnie will stop loving me.

 

I’m scared. But I chose this, won’t regret it.

 

---

 

“Ga In-ah?” Kwonnie calls, and I hear the click of the door soon after.

“Kwonnie, you’re back!” I didn’t deliberately do it, but my voice comes out really sweet, complete with a cute inflection. Maybe it’s the work that’s doing it.

He hugs me from behind and whines, “Ga Innie!”

He’s unhappy that I’m still brainstorming for work while at home. So I tear myself away from work, and put it away.

“Happy now?”

Kwon only laughs in response and attempts to pull me up from my chair. I gladly let myself be pulled into his arms. It feels so good to just lean against him, with my head on his shoulder.

“Too much work?”

“Flooded. It’s just not right. I can’t get it the feeling I’m looking for.”

Someone apparently thought that I would be able to capture the bliss and happiness that normally characterizes newlywed couples. I’m trying, but the words just don’t feel genuine.

Kwonnie seems to notice this, as he briefly runs a finger over the stray paper. He involuntarily sighs.

“You’re free tomorrow right?”

“Mm.”

He runs a hand through my damp hair, “Go with me to the amusement park tomorrow?”

“Sure, okay!”

 

---

 

Kwonnie loves amusement parks. I don’t know exactly why, but he is enthralled by the whole prospect of rides. He bounces around while we’re queuing for rides, luckily it’s a weekday and he doesn’t have to wait for too long. We gossip about friends, work and anything else that comes to mind.

 

Kwonnie has a habit of screaming even when the ride is not scary. Or at least, I don’t think the ride is scary. Why someone would spend their voice screaming on amusement park rides eludes me.

 

“It’s not even scary!” I yell back at him while we descend the covered water slide.

“It’s just fun to scream!” He shouts over the roar of the water.

“You’re crazy!”

Before Kwonnie can respond, we emerge with a splash from the slide. He fumbles while trying to get out and the float for two that we’re sitting in flips over, dunking both of us abruptly.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter