Hyejin

Game of Probability
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

GA IN 

---

A month later.

 

Some time ago, Dr. Kim managed to arrange an online consult with one of the specialists from overseas. Apparently they always ask this particular Dr. Tan. He makes the whole thing sound much less serious, even easily resolved. He has informative slides that detail the options that Dr. Kim suggested. 

 

Options that exist, but are unavailable in Korea, that is. Options that exist if I live in a society that was less conservative. Options that exist but Kwonnie wouldn’t agree to—in my opinion at least.

 

Dr. Kim also mentioned that a parent of a Thalassemia major offered to chat with us. I took the offer, and thus am headed to meet her today. At the hospital while her daughter is getting her monthly blood transfusion.

 

I bow, but Mrs. Park shakes my hand warmly, “Ms. Son?”

“Please, call me Ga In.”

She regards me with curiosity, “Your name sounds very familiar. Son Ga In. Where have I heard that name before?”

I merely smile to evade the question.

Mrs. Park points through the glass panel on the hospital door.

“My daughter, Hyejin.”

The tiny girl inside smiles and nods slightly at me. I nod and wave back at her.

“She likes you.”

“That’s nice.” I don’t know what I’m supposed to say to that.

“To be honest, I’m surprised that you even know you’re a minor to start with.”

“I think I fainted on the job one too many times, so they tried to find out what exactly was up with me.”

“Your husband?” It’s really strange to hear people address Kwonnie in this manner.

“Found out in a very similar way in fact.”

Mrs. Park looks skeptically at me, “By any chance, do you happen to be a public figure? You really remind me of the Brown Eyed Girl.”

 

My attention is drawn to Hyejin, where the nurse is in the process of inserting the intravenous (IV) line into the blood vessel in her forearm. The sight makes me flinch inwardly. Hyejin stares straight at the nurse inserting the needle.

 

 “You’re right. I’m the Brown Eyed Girl I remind you of.”

She gasps needlessly, “If that’s the case, then your husband must be 2AM?”

Hyejin’s suffering. Her hands are balled into fists, and she’s biting her bottom lip in pain.

I force a chuckle, “Yes, my husband is from 2AM.”

“You’ll were from the show!”

 

Hyejin looks so tiny and fragile. And the blood transfusion is sapping her energy. I can literally see her strength leaving her body.

 

“We were from the show that you speak of.”

Mrs. Park laughs, “Pardon my curiosity. I just didn’t expect you to be an idol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter