What's Good

Game of Probability
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

GA IN 

---

A few days later.

 

And we’re right in the middle of what is shaping up to be a showdown between Kwonnie and his Dad. Kwon’s Mom and I are bystanders in this tiff. More accurately, I am cowering in a corner.

 

“Medical science is so advanced now! I’m sure there is a way around it!” Kwon’s Dad exclaims, “It must be her, trying to get out of producing a heir for the family line!”

“Dr. Kim said that there was no way around it,” Kwonnie hesitates, then mouths, “locally.”

“Go find another specialist then!”

“Dr. Kim is the best doctor in Korea for Thalassemia,” He shrugs, “In fact, I think she’s the only doctor.”

“Seriously?”

“It’s very rare.”

“Then why is it that both of you have it!” Shrieks his Dad. I secretly wonder if this was how Kwonnie was brought up. No wonder he likes his Mom better than his Dad.

He shrugs, “That, even Dr. Kim cannot answer the question.”

“How do you even get that Tha-less disease?”

“Dad, it’s hereditary. Genetic,” Kwonnie’s dad stares blankly at him, “I must have gotten it from either you or Mom. But we’re not here to point fingers. This is just how it is.”

Kwonnie’s Dad grunts irritably, “I told you! She is not suitable for you! Look at what happened!”

“Let’s not point fingers, Dad,” Kwon now attempts to mollify is angry father.

“You’re just under her spell! You’re infatuated with her, Kwon! I knew she was no good for you from the start!”

I am no stranger to this kind of reaction from his Dad—he doesn’t like me in the slightest. I honestly believe the reason is precisely because I’m the kind of girl that he would not be able to control. I’m the kind of girl that would bruise his overinflated male chauvinistic pig ego. And, oh, look, it’s completely de

“I think I know best what is good for me,” Kwon’s just getting started, say goodbye to pacifying his Dad, “It’s really funny that you’re telling me that I’m infatuated with Ga In when I’ve been with her for what, seven, eight years? I’m so sure that infatuations last for seven, eight years. Days, maybe.”

“I’ve walked the earth longer than you! I would know!”

“Oh, really? Then you can kindly enlighten me. What is so wrong with Ga In-ah?”

Kwon’s Dad glares at me pointedly, “She talks back. She doesn’t listen to elders. You can’t control her, so she can step all over you! She’s not feminine enough. She doesn’t depend on you. She can leave anytime she wants! Not to mention, she has too many guy friends, and she attracts interest. And, she can’t give me a grandchild!”

“I’m not you, Dad. I’m not you.”

“What is that supposed to mean?!”

“She’s not feminine enough is just fine by me, since you always say that I don’t act like a man anyway. If she depended on me, I would die of overwork to provide for everyone. She has many male friends like I have many female friends. I see no problem with that. I have no wish to control her in the way you’re implying. Finally, about the grandchild thing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter