Too Much

Game of Probability
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

GA IN 

---

Two weeks later.

 

“This is really extremely rare,” mutters Dr. Kim as she looks through the medical reports, her brows furrowing gently.

“We know, but it happened to us,” squeaks Kwonnie politely, probably because Dr. Kim cut a motherly figure. The hospital staff said that they already referred us to the medical professional most informed and experienced with Thalassemia.

“Really. I don’t know what to say,” Dr. Kim puts the reports on the table, “We’ve always known that it was possible. But Thalassemia is already rare enough here, to have both of you be carriers is frankly surprising.”

She chuckles, “Then again, it’s also surprising that I have two singers here needing my expertise. Just after news of two of you getting hitched was splashed all over the papers a couple of weeks ago.”

“So what options do we have?”

“Shall I explain the condition first? In layman’s terms, beta Thalassemia makes your red blood cells less juicy. The healthy red blood cell is oval shaped but the Thalassemic red blood cell is misshapen. Much like Sickle Cell Anaemia. So your red blood cells do not carry oxygen around the body as efficiently as a normal person.”

Kwonnie and I nod, even though we already know all this.

“Both of you have one defective recessive gene each, which makes you a Thalassemia minor. Normally the problem ends there, since it doesn’t really affect one’s daily life.”

“I wish it did,” Kwonnie mumbles under his breath.

“Both of you will pass one gene each to your offspring. If it so happens that the child has 2 recessive genes, then he or she is a Thalassemia major,” Dr. Kim pauses, “Complications include heart problems, enlarged spleen, bone deformities and enlarged spleen. Some will not live to 30.”

“Is it curable?” Kwon goes through the motions of asking, even though both of us are patently aware that it isn’t—not really at least.

“Only by bone marrow transplant. A suitable bone marrow is difficult o find, and it’s not a straightforward procedure by any standards. Not to mention that it’s literally unseen here, so you may not be able to get it done locally.”

“It’s that or frequent blood transfusions coupled with iron chelation?” Something spurs Kwonnie to reveal that he knows more than just Thalassemia is a blood disease.

“It appears like I’ve explained in vain to you two,” Dr. Kim smiles genially.

“But, Dr. Kim, in reality, is the probability of our child being a major actually 25%?”

“In theory it’s 25%. I can’t say for Koreans, since such a situation is patently uncommon. But evidence suggests that the probability is higher than that. Approximately 50%?”

That makes the problem that much more complicated.

 “So what options do we have?”

Dr. Kim sighs, “To be blunt, not many. Genetic testing is illegal. Abortion is illegal. Or minimally untested ground.”

Kwon glances fleetingly in my direction, eyes sad. I brush the back of my hand against his arm.

“But like you may know, other countries encourage prenatal testing and genetic counseling. They can test if the foetus is a major during the first trimester.”

“And if it is?” Kwonnie probes insistently.

“It is for the two of you to decid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter