Chapter Sixteen

Crossing Paths
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was a lot she tried to avoid.

Da Eun began going on walks more frequently.  She often found herself walking to the dance studio Jieun volunteered at to watch the dancers. She enjoyed watching the children the most because for them, dance was nothing but fun. When she watched teenagers and adults, she could only see stories in their dances. And another sad story was something Da Eun didn’t need.

That day, she walked to the soccer field Sunggyu coached at. She watched the game with great interest. She liked the way Sunggyu looked in the uniform but wouldn’t dare admit it to Sunggyu himself. Although she was sure he figured that out by the way she stared at him.

“Where are you going after this?” Sunggyu asked as he looked at his watch. “It’s eight o’clock, are you going to go home?”

Da Eun shook her head, “The practise room.”

“But it’s pretty late.”

“Not late enough,” Da Eun laughed a bit before walking ahead.

“Wait,” Sunggyu struggled to grab his bag and water bottle off a bench. “Let’s go together!”

“Aren’t you going home? You must be tired.”

“Not tired enough,” Sunggyu replied with a smirk.

The two walked to the bus stop because they were too tired to walk the entire distance. They sat on the bench and watched the sky turn orange. They began spending much more time together. Da Eun would often eat lunch at the pizza shop Sunggyu worked out or Sunggyu would drop by with something at the practise room.

“Why did you come to the game today?” Sunggyu asked.

“I was bored,” Da Eun shrugged. “Why are you following me?”

“I’m bored.”

“I heard you can sing,” Da Eun pointed out. “Well.”

“I guess,” Sunggyu shrugged.

“Let me hear a song,” Da Eun turned to him.

“No way.”

“Why not?” Da Eun cried.

“Because the bus is here. Let’s get on,” Sunggyu stood up.

○●○●○

“I’ll get us a snack so you go in first.”

“Alright,” Da Eun said as she took out her key.

Sunggyu walked away and Da Eun was about to open the door when someone put their hand on her shoulder. Da Eun turned around, wondering who it could be. She saw Miyoung staring at her, eyebrows raised, smirk visible. Da Eun gasped a bit and managed to drop her keys.

“Hey there Da Eun,” Miyoung said. “Where have you been? I thought you would come out some more after we met last time.”

“I’m busy, leave me alone,” Da Eun firmly said.

“Busy hiding, I see,” Miyoung said. “Hiding from the fact that you’re worthless now.”

“No, I’m not,” Da Eun gritted through her teeth.

Miyoung raised an eyebrow, “You still think you’re worth something, huh? You poor little thing. You’re worth nothing without your marks.”

Da Eun began to lose control over herself and she was shaking. She could feel herself giving into Miyoung’s words once again. She screamed at herself in her mind, telling her not to listen to Miyoung. But it was becoming less and less possible. Da Eun could feel a panic attack coming on.

“Aw, she’s scared. Should I call your parents for you?” Miyoung sniggered before walking away.

Sunggyu walked out of the bakery shop after Miyoung passed it. He raised his eyebrows at the group of girls but shrugged any ideas off and walked to Da Eun’s porch. But when he found her hunched over on the porch, he knew something was wrong.

“Da Eun, what’s wrong?” Sunggyu asked as he dropped his bag and the goods from the bakery.

“N-nothing,” Da Eun let out.

She bent down and grabbed the keys she previously dropped. Da Eun managed to quickly open the door and shut it before Sunggyu could get it. She locked it and fell on the wooden steps. Sunggyu banged o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter