Chapter One

Crossing Paths
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

He was the quiet guy whose words were so loud

 

“Sunggyu Hyung,” He cried as he closed the door and ran in, dishevelled.

Sunggyu sighed, “What is it this time, Hoya?”

“I will never be able to read this music sheet!” Hoya threw the papers at his friend while dropping his head on the piano, producing a mixture of uneven notes.

Sunggyu shook his head, “Why, again, are you taking piano lessons?”

“Guys who can play piano are attractive,” Hoya claimed. “I was going to play guitar but Myungsoo plays it and all the girls already fawn over him. They wouldn’t pay attention to me if I were just another guitar player, you know.”

Sunggyu gave his friend a queer look before flipping through the music sheets. Sunggyu had learned how to play the piano at the age of eight. He begged his parents continuously for lessons. After about three months, they finally signed him up for classes and he was more than happy. Ever since then, Sunggyu learned how to play a variety of musical instruments, the most recent being the violin.

“Hoya, the notes are so simple. Let me show you,” Sunggyu said as he moved to the piano.

Hoya got off the seat and watched Sunggyu’s fingers. He was always jealous of Sunggyu’s long, slender fingers that fit perfectly on the piano. He had shorter fingers which were harder to use. But being Hoya, he refused to give up.

“Do you get it now?” Sunggyu asked.

“I think so. Thanks, Hyung,” Hoya grinned, stuffing the music sheets in his bag. “I’ll practise when I get home.”

“Where are you going?” Sunggyu asked.

“I have to buy my Mom a present. Her birthday is in a week and I can’t forget to buy her something like I did last time,” Hoya rubbed his neck sheepishly.

Sunggyu chuckled, “Ah, I see.”

Hoya waved before running out of the room with his jacket barely on. Sunggyu was then alone in the quiet music room. He had spent his entire afternoon cooped up in that small room. It was where he loved to be on a rainy day. The rain would hit against the small windows creating a sound he loved so much.

Sunggyu’s eyes fell on the clock hung up on the wall to see that it was five o’clock, “Better get going now.”

He packed up his belongings in his knapsack before walking out of the underground room.  It was the room that he had been renting for three years now. Sunggyu would work to pay off the monthly rent and use it to his leisure. He sometimes even slept there.

He locked up the door and walked down the streets of Seoul with a small smile on his face. The shop next to the building was a bakery. He made sure to say hi to the elderly lady who owned it. She always made Sunggyu delicious bread to eat on long nights.

“Are you going to work?” She asked as she placed the butterscotch cookies on a platter for display.

“Yes, I am,” He smiled.

She took a cookie and handed it to him, “Eat this on the way. Do well tonight, okay?”

Sunggyu gratefully took the cookie and began munching on it as soon as he left the shop. He walked down the long street amidst the crowd of busy people. His work was near the room he rented making it easy for him to get there. The university he attended was also quite close making it even better.

Sunggyu finally got to the restaurant and walked in through the back door. He dropped his bag off in his locker and changed into the tuxedo in the change rooms for employees. He walked out looking handsome in the suit. He ruffled his hair a bit in the process trying to make it look a bit nicer.

“You’re up in five, Sunggyu,” His manager, Woohyun, told him.

“Alright,” Sunggyu nodded his head.

Sunggyu worked as a part-time singer at Woohyun’s restaurant. The two had been friends since High School and when Woohyun decided he would get people to sing during the evenings, the first person he thought of was Sunggyu. Sunggyu immediately agreed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter