Chapter 7

Before The Dawn

‘I like you.’ He said then leaned back and shook his head ‘No, I love you’ he was certain about it.

Yongguk frowned when he saw the pain in her bloodshot eyes as he confessed. His heart instantly slumped *She doesn’t share the same feeling as me?* but he was certained she was in love with him as well. Although Reinie didn’t say it but he was sure her feelings was the same when they kissed.

Yongguk was about to speak again when Reinie shook her head. ‘You shouldn’t.’

‘Wha-why?’ Yongguk couldn’t find words anymore.

‘You didn’t know anything about my illness do you?’ Reinie asked.

Yongguk shook his head then replied ‘No, but that doesn’t matter to me. I’ll still love you the same with or without your illness’

‘Even when I might die anytime soon?’ that caught Yongguk offguard. He hadn’t expected that.

Reinie’s heart pained the moment he couldn’t replied her question but held back her feelings as she continued. ‘People like us didn’t live long because of how the ultra-violet from the sun affected us. People die from this illness. Our condition could worsen at any point of time. None survived from this, there is no cure for xeroderma pigmentosum. Even the longest survivor is only in his 40s. Im already lucky enough to live up till 20.’

‘Just answer this, do you like me?’ Yongguk asked.

‘Do you?’ he asked again.

Reinie sighed, he wasnt going to stop until he got his answer, she knew it from his face. Reinie opened , she was about to answer him when he spoke again ‘Dont lie’ it was as if Yongguk had already knew she was preparing to lie in his face.

With a sigh, Reinie replied ‘Yes’

Yongguk nodded and pulled her hand back while he continued to treat her wound. Reinie frowned, she couldn’t understand him. He was demanding her for an answer just now and when she did, all he did was a nod and continued to treat her wound. ‘What do you really want?’ Reinie couldn’t help but blurted her thoughts out.

‘Thats all I need.’ He spoke while he continued to treat her burns. ‘I might have wavered for awhile back then but I don’t think I can stop loving you so Im not going to back away. Whether you like it or not, I’ll be by your side to love you until your journey ends.’ he replied.

That was all Reinie need to get her emotional again. She didn’t know she should be happy or to be sad with his reply. She didn’t even know when she would die and he’s willing to stay by her side. ‘Why?’

Yongguk let out a small chuckle and looked up at her this time ‘because I love you silly’ he lovingly ruffled her hair.

‘You shouldn’t have run out like that just now’ he heaved a sigh as he continued to treat her burn. It pained his heart to see how the Sun could affect Reinie in that small amount of time.

‘Its okay, they don’t hurt that much now’ she lied. The pain was still tremendous but she hid it so as to not make Yongguk worry.

Done, Yongguk placed the medicine back to the first aid kit. ‘We’ll just stay here for now. What do you want to eat?’ he asked.

Reinie shook her head ‘Im fine, you should rest. Your fever just gone down, you shouldn’t move that much’

Yongguk gave her a reassuring smile ‘Im all good, I could even pick up a star from the sky now’ Reinie shook her head while Yongguk grinned, back to his old self. The atmospheres in the room were no longer that intense and heavy.

‘How about we cooked together?’ Reinie suggested.

Yongguk placed his fingers under his chin and pretended to thought about it ‘Hmm..’ Reinie raised her brow at his action.

‘That sounds like a good idea’ he grinned while Reinie rolled her eyes at him.

‘Are you always like this?’ she asked as she walked towards the kitchen.

Yongguk chuckled then shook his head ‘No, Im only like this when you’re around’

‘When Im around?’ Reinie repeated.

Yongguk nodded ‘Only when you’re around.’ He whispered. Reinie stopped in her track and turned around to look at him. Yongguk reached out one of his hand and cupped her cheek ‘only you can make me change into somebody even I myself am surprised of’ he caressed her cheek with his thumb and gave her a warm smile before walking into the kitchen. Reinie reached her hand up to her chest, her heart was beating way too fast for her comfort.

‘What do you want to cook?’ Reinie heard Yongguk’s voice from the kitchen and instantly snapped out of her thought, hurrying her way to the kitchen.

‘What do you have?’ Reinie asked.

Yongguk took a step aside and let Reinie had the full view of the fridge. ‘See it for yourself’

Reinie looked through the fridge and thoughtfully think about what to cook. ‘Whats your best dish?’ she curiously asked.

‘Kimchi stew? Kimchi fried rice? Kimchi pancake? Kimchi Ra-’ Yongguk was about to continue when Reinie stopped him ‘You’re a Kimchi fan aren’t you?’ she said, amused.

Yongguk grinned ‘You can call me that.’ He nodded then paused ‘but what has that got to do with our breakfast?’

‘Well, we can have either one of it for our breakfast’ Reinie began taking out ingredients from the fridge.

‘And what would it be?’ Yongguk asked, a small smile tugging on the end on his lip. As always, there wasn’t a time where she doesn’t amaze him.

‘Hmm.. Kimchi stew?’ Reinie asked.

‘Then lets start now shall we?’ Yongguk was already getting ready, rolling up his sleeve.