Eighteen

Tortoise and Turtle

I squinted my eyes as sunlight hit my face. The great Eiffel Tower is in front of me. Somehow I've gotten into a some building's veranda. Am I in Paris? Eiffel Tower is in Paris, right? I look at the tower again to make sure it is what I thought.

"Hon!"

Someone shouted from below me that disrupted my notions.

"Sungyeol! Hon!"

Ha?

I looked down. On the street below, a lady is standing looking up at me. She called my name. I pointed myself to ask her using body language if I'm the Sungyeol she's pertaining. I tried to make up her face and who she is but all I could get is a blur.

Why is she calling me 'hon' anyway?

"Yes mister, you're the Sungyeol I'm calling. Now get down here. We have to tour Paris for our honeymoon, remember?"

What?!

 

Suddenly, the earth shook. The floor I was standing gave away making me fall below in nothingness as my surroundings turned dark. Panic struck like an electric bolt through me. I wasn’t in the veranda anymore. The Eiffel Tower is nowhere to be seen. The lady.. the lady is gone.

 

I fall back still clueless with what is happening. This is absurd. Utterly equivocally absurd. Am I dreaming? I must be dreaming. I pinch the back of my palm. It hurt. I pinched it again but it went on with the same result. Pain. If I am dreaming, which is the most obvious explanation of these all, I shouldn’t have felt it or if I must, I should be waking up already.

 

My mind is swimming in a swirl of thoughts.

 

I look at the environment around me again. Before me is an amusement park and little by little, people were appearing. I feel like I was watching a movie reveal itself before me, the thing is, I'm part of it.

 

"Daddy!"

 

A distant voice of a girl yelled over my behind. I looked back.

 

A little girl, I assumed with the age of 8, ran towards me. Stopping in front of me with close proximity, she smiled, called me daddy before hugging me which made me surprised. That made me stiffly shocked.

 

"Mommy!" The little girl with so much enthusiasm and excitement that is evident in her eyes called to my behind. I turned around preparing myself of what I would see next. The little girl suddenly disappeared at my side and my surroundings changed. Changed into the insides of a chapel. There were white flowers by the aisle and a red carpet was sprawled on the floor. I turned around and saw myself by the altar clad in a tux. The door suddenly open and with that flowed numerous feelings inside me. A lady in a dazzling, white dress came walking towards the aisle. Towards me. I felt a familiar sensation I've never felt before run through my veins. A familiar feeling I've never felt before. What was that? As moments passed and as the bride (am I her groom?) neared me, I felt a warm feeling inside me. So warm and comfortable I think I'm enjoying this somehow. And just like before, I still couldn’t make up her face. Much more now since it was covered with a veil but somehow my guess of who she is made my heart beat fast. I realized a smile behind that veil as I looked at her with such endearing gaze. I couldn’t help it. So this is how grooms feel. Wonderful. And with that is the fact that I don’t even know who my bride is.

 

But.. suddenly.. she stopped and then darkness wrapped everything including me. I couldn’t see anything. My senses out. What happened?

 

I eventually saw a light in front of me but still faraway. I walked towards it not knowing what I should do even if ever there was. A door then realized itself to the direction I was taking. From the direction of the light. Without further ado, even if I could afford one, I turned the knob.

 

Wide window with the sea and the setting sun over the horizon welcomed my eyes. An old lady seated in the rocking chair beside the massive window with her back facing me was the only breathing creature I could see. By her side was a table with two coffee mugs on it. The coffee mugs. Those were the mugs I bought from a little boy selling those by the Jeju Sea. I found it ridiculous for him to sell those kinds by the sea. He eventually, with alluding charm, persuaded me to buy not only one but two mugs. "One day, you're going to give that to her."

 

Her.

 

At the word of 'her', her face suddenly filled the walls of my brain. Her sweetness. Her undeniable elegance. Her words rang on my head and her smile..

 

I turned around for the little boy to give the money but he's nowhere to be found. He's gone. Maybe he became bored when I was thinking about 'her', leaving me eventually, forgetting the money for the mugs.

 

The old lady suddenly turned around. Her movements made me wake up from my reverie. She was smiling at me. The same smile I saw from the veiled bride. The smile of the lady from the street of Paris. The smile that may have been where the little child who called me daddy came from. The same warm smile I see every day at the cafe.

 

Jane.

 

 

 

 

"You're late!" Ilhoon said as I scrapple to the kitchen. All the others were already doing their business. Jiyoon by the counter, Bomi taking orders from a customer and Ilhoon in the kitchen.

I wonder where she is. Inside the office, maybe? Thinking about her made my heart beat faster yet again. Just like every time I am near her. My dream last night just solidified the thought I am secretly having for some time now. The thought of I falling in love with her.

 

"Sungyeol?" Ilhoon called, concerned but still finishing his touches over a cupcake.

"Yeah?"

"You're late. It's not like you."

Chuckle escaped from my lips. "I just had a great dream."