Meeting Him Again

You're My Red String of Fate

“Are you serious?” cried Soojin into her phone.

“I’m sorry, but you know I can’t say no to him.”

“Lizzy, I can’t believe you’re ditching me for your boyfriend. We made plans! You and me! God, this is… you’re… ugh.”

“I’m so sorry. I promise I’ll make it up to you. I'll treat you to your favorite restaurant.”

Soojin stayed quiet, wavering at the thought of free food.

“Anywhere you want. For the whole day," her friend promised.

She sighed, “Fine. You win. But I’m still mad at you.”

“Thanks, Soojin! You’re the best.”

She scoffed, “Thank the idea of food. Without that, you be on my people to kill list. Now go have fun with your little boyfriend.”

 

Soojin hung up and sighed deeply. She watched as people busily walked in and out of dark rooms, laughing and talking about what they just saw.

She stared down at the ticket she had just bought, telling her that her movie started in twenty minutes. She scowled at the thought of the wasted ticket.

She didn’t even want to watch this movie. She rather see the suspense movie rather than this romantic one, that her friend insisted that they watch together. However, she wasn’t going to waste her money and decided to it up and watch it.

She contemplated on the thought of getting something to eat, but unfortunately, she was a frugal person. She quickly calculated the cost of a small popcorn bag and a small drink and decided it was too expensive.

She started to walk towards her proper venue when she heard some angry yells. She casually turned to look, was surprised at what she saw, and quickly tried to hide herself from that person’s view.

Except she wasn’t so lucky.

“Soojin?”

She pretended not to hear him and briskly walked into the room where her movie was showing. Forunately for her, it didn’t seem that he followed her and hopefully was supposed to watch a different showing. She quickly found a seat near the back and settled down. The theater quickly filled up with people, and Soojin found herself with an empty seat to the left to her.

Someone sat in that empty seat, but she paid no attention.

“So it was you.”

Soojin froze in her seat and cautiously turned her head to look. She groaned at the sight and turned to look straight ahead, hoping he would get the point.

He did, but wasn’t going to listen to it.

“I can’t believe you would so casually ignore me like this when I called you out earlier," he dramatically cried.

She didn’t say anything. He continued to stare at her, and Soojin could feel his eyes boring into the side of her head.

“Maybe it’s because I didn’t want to see you,” she finally mumbled.

He gasped, “That hurts my heart you know.”

He faked sobbed, “And to think we’re supposed to be destined lovers.”

She scoffed, unable to believe that he would bring up that topic.

“We’re aren’t and never will be. Get that straight in your head.”

She couldn’t believe that see saw Myungsoo outside of school. She had finally accepted the fact that she couldn’t avoid him at school, but to see him outside of it, well, she wasn’t exactly thrilled about it.

 

“You know, I never pegged you as a girl to watch these kinds of movies,” he said, arbitrarily changing the topic.

“I never thought you would be either,” she replied back.

He laughed, “Well, I don’t mind it; they’re sort of cute. It’s just I was going to watch it with my friends, but they canceled on me.”

His face darkened. “And they left me behind. Once, I get my hands on them…” he muttered.

Soojin looked in surprise at his sudden change of mood, but didn’t say anything. He then suddenly immediately brightened up and smiled at her.

Soojin sighed, “Well, my friend canceled on me too. She’s the one who wanted to watch it, not me. I actually wanted to watch the new suspense movie that came out.”

“Oh! Me too! But my friend, Sungyeol, insisted that Sungjong and I watch this one. He has sort of an addiction about these cheesy romance movies.”

He laughed, “But to think that we would have something in common. Suspense movies. Don’t you think that means something?”

She frowned, “Besides the fact we like the same genre of movies? No.”

“You never know.”

“No, it doesn’t,” she insisted. “Now shut up and watch the movie” she hissed as the lights began to dim.

And Myungsoo couldn’t do anything but stay quiet until the end of the movie.

 

 

“Well, wasn’t that fun,” Myungsoo murmured as they walked out the theater.

He glanced at Soojin who had her eyebrows scrunched up in deep concentration.

He waved a hand in front of her face.

“Hey, erm, you alright there?” he asked.

She sighed and waved his hand away.

“I’m fine. It’s just that I’m afraid that if I start to think about the movie, I’m going to rant.”

He rose an eyebrow, “Oh, really? Do tell.”

She glared at him, knowing that he was enjoying this.

“Well, first off the main girl was so…so...” she started, trailing off trying to find the word to describe her.

"Cutesy? A bit dense? Naive? A girl in love?" he supplied.

“How about dimwitted? Mindless? Absurd? Idiotic? Stupid?” she replied. “And I hated how everything she did was for the main guy. She never did anything that was for herself. This is why I hate romantic movies. They’re just so…”

“Cheesy and simple?”

“No, unrealistic. What sort of couple has a love so simple and sweet? That’s impossible in this cruel world of ours.”

“Well, aren’t you just a big ball of sunshine,” he laughed. “I’m not a big fan of romance movies, but I think they’re nice. They show that in this “cruel world of ours”, as you so put it, there is something nice. Like finding simple things in love.”

She scoffed, “You make love seem so simple. It’s not. Whatever happened to break-ups, divorces, and cheating? Love’s complicated. It’s not something that you should take lightly.”

“Perhaps, but you have to think about the happiness it also gives to people. Some of the happiest people are those in love.”

“Maybe, but the way I see it is one minute they’re in love, and the second they hate each other’s guts and break it off. And then they get back together. It’s pointless.”

“Sure it’s true that there are some cases like that, but not a lot. If you take time to sit down and look, you’ll see that no matter how bad it was, you’ll always remember the good times. Don’t think so pessimistically. It’s not good for your health.”

She shot him a look. “I’m not thinking pessimistically; I’m thinking pragmatically. You, on the other hand, are too optimistic.”

“Well, thinking happy thoughts is better than thinking depressing ones, right?” he smiled.

She rolled her eyes, “I suppose. But that’s beside the point. The point is, the movie’s over, and I’m going to go home.”

She raised a hand to indicate her intent to bid her farewells.

“Wait,” he called out.

She slowly lowered her hand and sighed, “What?”

“Remember how you owe me? For helping you with your papers?”

How could she forget? It had been constantly bugging her. But since he made no move since the last two weeks to tell her what it was, she thought he had forgotten. She hoped that he forgotten.

“What about it? Did you finally figure something that I can help you with?"

“It’s not really helping me with something. It’s more doing something for me.”

“Well? What is it?”

“First of all, are you free today?” he asked, a grin starting to appear on this face.

“Yeah…” she slowly intoned.

“Good. Go on a date with me.”

 


A/N: Oh, Myungsoo. You silly boy. A happy, optimistic boy with a realistic-thinking girl. What could go right?

Since the string was sort of a way for them to meet, I think I’m going to focus more on their relationship.

Please enjoy, and see you next time.