Letting Go and Finding Him

You're My Red String of Fate

She saw him before he saw her.

Not that he was that easy to miss.

Especially with that purple hoodie he was wearing.

On a first impression, she thought he was the type of person who would wear neutral colors. The usual black, white, and gray. Not something so bold, so bright, so eye-catching. Especially with those dinosaurs on them.

And he seemed not to care what the passing people thought as they gave him second glances. As if it was something of a regular occurrence, and he simply did not care. At all.

When he told her the general vicinity of where they would meet up and she asked where exactly, he told her that she would know before promptly hanging up. That left her vaguely confused, but decided to go with it.

She understood now that he meant that she would know when she saw him.

He had his hood on, shadowing his face, and was slouched down on the park bench with his hands in his pockets. He shifted and pulled something from behind him to hold in front of him. A backpack. A purple backpack.

She smiled and she thought that he must liked purple a lot. But then again, she wouldn’t know that. She was just reading signs. Perhaps someone else gave him those.

She realized that she had a spent a good amount of time observing the purple-wearer and approached him. She silently sat down next to him and did what she thought he was doing before, which could have been either two things: observing the passing people or staring at nothing. She could feel him stare at her for a second before turning to the front as well.

“I never thought you would ask for my help like this. I always thought it would be the other way around. Helping you get away from them instead of finding them,” he voiced into the air.

She shrugged. “Life’s that way. Full of twists and turns. Makes it more interesting that way.” She glanced at him momentarily. “How are you by the way? Still bruised up?”

It had been a while since she had seen him or made any contact with him. In truth, both of them had not seen the other since the last time she treated him for his wounds and he promised to give his help to her.

“Fine. I don’t have that many bruises anymore. Expect for some nasty big ones. Ones that take forever to heal. So besides those, I’m fine,” he replied as he stretched as to prove his point that he was still lively and healthy.

“I suppose this is what happens when you get involved?” she muttered.

He looked at her in surprise and made a brisk laugh. “That’s right. And I thought I said not to get involved? I would understand if you were unfortunately bought into this by them, but you’re actually bringing yourself into this.”

She shrugged again. “I was involved since the beginning since I met him. And now that my brother’s involved, I can’t just idly sit on the sidelines and watch.”

He frowned, “That’s right. You mentioned something about your brother on the phone. Are you positive that your brother’s involved?”

“He had the same bruises as you did. All hidden. Plus he had some cuts and bruises on his face like he tripped or ran into something,” she revealed.

“Ah,” he said, nodding in understanding. “A classic.” He frowned more seriously. “Then your brother is involved. But you saw your brother, right? He came back. So there’s no reason for you to find them. Honestly, if your brother is like that, it means they don’t find any use for him anymore.”

She sighed, “If that’s true, then I suppose that makes me feel a bit better. But there’s another problem. The real reason why I called you.”

He nodded for her to continue.

“There’s someone I know. And to this someone, I accidently let out what happened to my brother to him. And before I knew it, he was gone.” She sighed, “I have a gut feeling that he went to confront them about it.”

He looked amazed. “Your friend went to see them? He actually has the guts to do that?” he exclaimed. “Your friend is something else.” He frowned, “What’s his name? Maybe I know him and maybe that will help me pinpoint a place of where they would be.”

“So you’ll help me?” she cried in surprise.

He shook his head. “I didn’t say anything yet. Just give me his name, and we’ll see from there.”

“Myungsoo,” she replied.

“Myungsoo, Myungsoo,” he mumbled as he racked his brain to see if he knew the person.

He clicked his tongue in failure. “Sorry, I don’t know him personally. But it does sound familiar. Like it’s supposed to be a well-known name among the organization. Like it’s supposed to be feared.” His eyes widened in realization. “Like it’s supposed to be one of their names. It’s L, isn’t it? I knew it sounded familiar.”

He jumped off the bench and faced Soojin with wide eyes. As if he just became conscious of how serious the matter was now that he knew who exactly it involved. “You’re friends with L? The L? The infamous L that knew everyone’s name and their weakness? The genius who could plan impeccable strategies that would never fail?”

He sat down in exhaustion. “And you’re friends with him?”

She nodded.

And then laughed. He laughed so hard to he couldn’t breathe. When he finished laughing, he spoke in shorts breaths and said, “I can’t believe it. Who would have known he would turn out like this?”

“And you seem to know more about the inner workings of this thing better than you seem to let on before. You said that you didn’t talk to any of the others before. You said that you don’t know any of them,” Soojin mentioned.

He turned to her and grinned. “I couldn’t just let you get involved if you got too curious over this. Better to kill the feeling before anything bad happens. But now that I understand how much you are related to all of this, it just got this more interesting.”

He looked at her curiously. “But still, I don’t see why you would go through all of this for him. He is one of the original three. I’m sure he can take them on if it’s him. He’d done it before.” He paused and snapped his finger in understanding. “I got it! You two are going out! That’s why you’re so worried and is willing to go through so much!” he exclaimed.

She stared at him with shock and silence, and perhaps a second too late, started to blush. “No!” she denied a bit too quickly. “It’s nothing like that! We are just friends,” she mumbled.

He looked at her with suspicion and shrugged. “Whatever you say. But there’s nothing really going on?”

“What about you? You seem to have a huge admiration for someone in an organization that you hate,” she retorted back, blatantly changing the subject. 

He waved a hand against that notion. “L’s different. When the rumors about him leaving the other two came up, I couldn’t believe it. No one has guts to do that, especially if you’re one of the original three and especially against that bastard N. It was practically unthinkable. I respect him for that. He took charge of his own future and made it his. I give him props.”

She sighed, “Alright. Then let’s get to the main point. Are you going to help me? All you said was that you would listen to my story.”

He sat there deep in thought. “I did offer my help, but that’s because I thought you would be in danger. And since you haven’t encountered the anything dangerous personally, I honestly don’t want to get either of us into this whole ordeal.”

But he stood up and smirked. “But something about you changed as well since the last time we met. I don’t know what its, maybe you seem determined? Or maybe reckless? But it doesn’t matter because I was feeling a little bored these days doing nothing. Maybe I need to get some action back in my life again.”

Soojin watched the boy in mild interest and understood why this boy was involved in this supposedly “dangerous organization” in the first place.

He liked the rush. He liked the feeling of doing dangerous things without getting caught.

He loved it.

He was an adventure seeker. The dangerous kind.

“You must have done some pretty crazy things in the past,” Soojin muttered.

And Hoya turned to her and grinned. “Oh, you don’t even know half of it.”

 

“So where do we start?” asked Soojin as both Hoya and her walked down the street.

He frowned, “To tell you the truth, this is part of the reason why I was sort of hesitant to help you.”

“What do you mean?”

He shrugged. “I just don’t know.”

She stopped and stared at him. “What do you mean you don’t know?”

He chuckled slinking his hand in his hoodie’s pocket as he waited for her to catch up. “I don’t know where they are.” He narrowed his eyes to the distance. “They’re the sort of people who doesn’t have a set location. A headquarters. Whatever you want to call it.”

But he smirked at Soojin. “I do know where their old haunts are, but…” he trailed off.

“But?” she prompted.

He grimaced. “But it’s been a while since I’ve been part of their little group,” he said distastefully with a glare in his eyes. “So I’m not sure if they would even go there anymore. Actually, I’m one hundred percent sure, but I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try.”

He stopped in front of warehouse. “And here’s one of them.”

She stared at the normal looking building that had a plain gray exterior and a steel crisscrossed fence. “That was rather fast. We hardly walked for five minutes.”

He shrugged. “I’m not the one who chooses these places.” He shaded his eyes with a hand. “Plus, it looks like nobody’s home. But doesn’t mean they aren’t,” he smirked and proceeded to climb and jump over the fence.

“Wait!” Soojin yelled out in a panic. “We can’t just trespass,” she hissed as Hoya jumped down to the other side.

He gave a fleeting look before saying, “You can’t just expect to be all righteous and civil when dealing with them. And what’s the matter with a little fun?” She watched him as he disappeared around the building.

Soojin cursed to herself and looked around the empty street. There wasn’t any residential houses nearby and the warehouse stood by itself on the street. With one more glance around to see if anybody was watching, Soojin hoisted herself up and over the fence. She kept glancing around as she ran towards where Hoya disappeared to and immediately ran into him as he casually leaned against the wall waiting for her.

He grinned. “Looks like you aren’t a wimp like I thought you were.” He gestured to follow him into the warehouse. And with one more look at the bright world outside, Soojin ventured into the dark dank building, feeling that this was the point of no return.

 

In the end, there wasn’t anybody in there. Hoya told her that it had been a couple of years since they had last used that place. And since N and K liked to move and settle in places often, it was unlikely that were still there.

Soojin wanted to punch and mutter thousands of curses at Hoya, but refrained from doing so since he was helping her.

They ended up going to many places that Soojin never thought would be considered that they would frequent. An old apartment, a family restaurant, a small local pet store, were to name a few. But every place they scoured out turned out empty handed. And it was beginning to turn dark.

 

“Damn,” Hoya muttered as they left the old theater. “That was the most recent place I knew.”

Soojin watched as the sun turned red and orange as it set slowly down. “It’s fine, Hoya,” she said softly. She turned to face him and smiled lightly. “It was good enough that you helped me. There’s nothing else we can do.”

He frowned, “But L.”

She shook her head. “All we can hope for is that he won’t do anything impulsive and stupid. And then maybe I’ll see him again.”

She turned to go. “I think I’ll head home now. Thanks for everything. I owe you one.”

He stared at her retreating back before calling out, “Wait!”

She stopped at looked at Hoya who was now rushing to her. “There’s… there’s one more place,” he muttered hesitantly.

She waited for him to continue.

“But I didn’t want you to go there because it’s in the bad parts of downtown,” he mumbled softly. He looked up at her and straight in her eyes. “But if you really want to go, I’ll show you where.”

She stared right back and said with resolve, “I want to.”

He studied her carefully before nodding. “We’ll need a car. Buses don’t run where I’m talking about. You got one?”

She shook her head. “But I know someone who does.”

 

 

“Remind me again why I’m doing this?” he grumbled angrily.

Soojin turned to the driver who she knew was just worried about her. “I told you, Dongwoo. I need to help a friend, but I need a car to do so.”

He sighed, “I know, Soojin. But is this friend of yours really that important that you need a ride to the slums?”

She gazed out the window at the now dark-lit sky littered with stars. As they drove closer to the area Hoya directed them to, she could see the badly treated streets. The lampposts fluttered with lights, but most of the lights were either broken or dead. Trash was cast away all over the sidewalks and graffiti seemed second-natured to the dirty walls.

“Yes,” she murmured, not saying anything more.

Dongwoo sighed, knowing fully well that Soojin was not going to elaborate. Instead he directed his attention to the intense stare was feeling from the back of his head. “And, um, if you don’t mind me asking, who are you?”

The stare answered, “Hoya.”

“And how do you know Soojin?” he asked.

“Friends,” he replied curtly.

Dongwoo sighed again, wondering why he was dealing with a pair of uncooperative people so late at night.

Hoya shifted over from behind Dongwoo to Soojin. He leaned closer to Soojin and whispered in her ear, “Can we trust him? He doesn’t even know about them.”

Soojin spared Hoya a look before turning back to the window. “I’ve known Dongwoo a good part of my life. He is one of the most reliable and trust-worthy people I know.”

Dongwoo grinned as he heard Soojin say that and reached over to push her lightly. “Awww. Well, aren’t you sweet?”

Soojin made no move whatsoever. Dongwoo glanced at Soojin and then back on the road.

“Turn here,” Hoya pointed as he reached over from behind.

“You’re headed to the Bright Lights?” Dongwoo murmured confusedly.

Hoya looked surprised. “You know it?”

Dongwoo realized his mistake and chuckled awkwardly. “I’ve might have heard of it here and there.”

Hoya looked at him suspiciously, but before he could call him out, Soojin spoke up. “Bright Lights?”

“Bright Lights is the area in the middle of the slums. There are clubs, love hotels, illegal gambling, and all that good stuff making it the brightest part of the slums,” Hoya answered. “You don’t really go here unless you’re up to no good, which is why I’m confused on why you know it,” he glowered at Dongwoo.

Dongwoo shrugged his shoulders and revealed, “I work in a dingy arcade shop. I hear stuff once in a while.”

Hoya still didn’t believe him, but didn’t know how to refute him. “Anyways, I just know they’re here. Not sure where exactly though. They like to gather info here, nothing more, nothing less.”

“They?” Dongwoo asked.

Hoya glared at him. “We didn’t call you up so you could ask questions. Your job is to drive, so do it right,” he snarled.

Dongwoo gave him a warning glance. “You never called me; Soojin did. So therefore, you can take your little attitude and shove it up your as…”
“Left!” Soojin shouted suddenly, shutting up both Hoya and Dongwoo.

She wasn’t paying attention to their little spit fight since she realized that she could clearly see the red string no matter how hard she tried to ignore it. It was always in her line of vision. And when they got closer to Bright Lights, she realized that she was feeling a light tug to the string whenever they passed certain intersections.

She didn’t want to rely on it. Hell, she didn’t want to believe what she thought it was doing. But she couldn’t ignore the lingering thought in her head. What if it was leading her to him?

She couldn’t disregard that fact, not when she had the impending thought that Myungsoo might be in danger. So threw out all her rational thoughts and let her feelings take over. And at that exact moment, she felt the pull. As if there was a gravitational pull toward the distance. To him.

And that’s when she yelled out left.

Fortunately for Dongwoo, he had quick reflexes and managed to turn the car in time.

He slowed down and calm his breathing because in all honestly, that scared him. And not just him.

Hoya screamed, “What the hell are you doing yelling out of nowhere! You could have killed us!”

“Sorry,” Soojin muttered, not paying attention. “But you have to trust me on this. Just follow my instructions.”

Hoya watched her curiously and doubtfully. “And why would you know where to go?”

“Just trust me!” she shouted distressfully. The pull was getting stronger as if it was urging her to go. And she had half a mind to open the door and start running.

However, Dongwoo accelerated the car down the street. “I trust Soojin. I have never seen her like this, so it must be something important.”

Soojin muttered a small thanks and everyone turned silent.

After a few more turns and a few more blocks, she saw him. He was seated, leaning against the wall with a light pole a few feet away him that twitched with light on and off, casting ominous shadows on him. If she didn’t know better, and if she didn’t have that red string, she would have completely missed him.

“Stop,” she cried out softly. “Stop the car.”

But before Dongwoo could safely slow the car into a stop, Soojin opened the door and rushed to him. “Myungsoo,” she whispered softly, the red string almost pulling her, dragging her, to him.

And she stopped short of him, her breath in as she stared at him.

At Myungsoo who was wearing all black. At Myungsoo who was unconscious, his back against the wall and his head drooping down in front of him. At Myungsoo who was bloody all over, almost half-dead.

 


A/N: I’m done! Haha, I would have finished earlier, but I got another story inspiration and I had to write it down. And when I’m feeling the inspiration, I can’t stop.

So how’d you like the chapter? Do tell. Plus, Dongwoo and Hoya are back.

Haha, so thanks for reading and see you next time!