All's Well That Ends Well

You're My Red String of Fate

A rainy day wasn’t exactly his favorite day. A sunny one was more preferable. To feel the warmth on his face rather than cold splatters of rain and chills running through his bones.

He sighed, resting his cheek on the palm of his propped up arm. He stared out the window of the second-floored building.

There wasn’t anybody milling around under the rain, not that he expected anyone to be anyways. Most people took shelter under awnings, and if they did have to go from one place to another, it was in a slight rush. Even the ones with umbrellas seemed to be in a hurry.

But at this odd hour where most students were in class, there wasn’t much students walking around.

It wasn’t the bright lime green umbrella that caught his attention; he could care less what the color of the umbrella was.

It wasn’t the fact that this person was the only person walking so casually, so peacefully; he never knew how to read a person by their gait.

It was when a large gust of wind blew the lone person’s umbrella causing it to flip inside-out that he became slightly interested.

It was because that person, whom he could now see was a girl, looked at the umbrella despondently before trying to flip it back to its original state.

It wouldn’t budge, and it didn’t help that it was still relentlessly pouring.

He could see, even from two stories high, that it wasn’t going to cooperate.

He didn’t know if what he expected. Perhaps he thought she was going to start crying and become angry and throw the umbrella with annoyance.

But she instead did the exact opposite. She started laughing, running through her fingers through her long hair while staring at the useless umbrella.

He thought the she went mad with hopelessness.

Instead, she swung the umbrella over her shoulder and settling in against it.

She started to walk away which then turned into skipping while inserting a few twirls once in awhile.

She was dancing. Dancing in the rain without a care in a world.

He never had been so amused by girl.

“Myungsoo.”

He tore his attention from the girl to look at the older man who walked into the classroom.

“Thanks for waiting,” the man smiled.

Myungsoo shook his head. “It’s nothing, Professor. I’m the one who wanted to wait to see my grade.”

The professor handed back a portfolio to Myungsoo who took it gratefully and flipped through it, anxious to see what he received on his project.

“It was fairly well done. You put a lot of effort in it.”

Myungsoo smiled, happy to see the A circled at the top. He closed it and pocketed it into his backpack. “I’m glad you thought so,” he smiled back.

Myungsoo was about to head out the door but took one last look out the window.

The professor refocused his attention to what Myungsoo was looking at. He peered down and squinted at the girl who was still dancing.

“Oh, is that Soojin?”

Myungsoo looked at his professor in surprise. “You know her?”

The professor nodded slowly. “Sure, Cho Soojin. She’s in one my introductory classes for architecture. She is a fairly quiet girl, so I’m surprised to see her act like this. But she gets near perfect scores on all her projects.”

Myungsoo looked down at the girl who momentarily stopped moving and sneezed. “Cho Soojin,” he mused as the girl, who apparently had enough fun, rushed over to find shelter.

The professor patted Myungsoo on the back and ushered him out the room. “Go home, Myungsoo. You don’t want to get caught up in this rain.”

Myungsoo nodded, giving one last lingering look at the window.

 

He decided to walk home for today. It wasn’t a long walk back to his apartment, but taking the bus would have cut his time considerably shorter.

Fortunately, the rain had stopped and the sun was out as few drops of rain dripped slowly, catching the sunlight.

He decided to take the longer path home, which meant walking past the local shrine that was painted red and gold and where stone lions guarding the entrance. 

He paused at the entrance and looked up at the small red arch where small red lanterns hung.

He wasn’t a religious person, in fact never spent time being pious in any way, shape, or form.

But for some reason he clapped his hands together and bowed deeply in front of the arch. “Please let me meet Cho Soojin.”

He shot up, as if he didn’t expect himself to think such thoughts, but then good-naturedly laughed. The girl did pique his interest, so he must of have subconsciously wanted to meet her. Not that he expected anything to happen.

He grinned and whistled all the way back to his apartment.

 

His two best friends were at it again.

Bickering at each other like twelve-year olds. He wondered how they could constantly come up with insults and comebacks to throw at each other. But it served as good amusement, so he let it go.

“Myungsoo,” the boy on his right said, nudging him with his elbow which Myungsoo turned to look at.

The boy grinned. “What’s with you? You seem happy yet desolate at the same time. Like you saw your favorite toy, but your mother wouldn’t let you have it.”

“Hmm. That’s not so far from the truth,” Myungsoo chuckled.

“How can that be possible?” huffed the boy to Myungsoo’s left. “You can’t be happy and sad at the same time. It’s one or the other. Or even one emotion is stronger than the other. In Myungsoo’s case, I say it’s happiness.”

“Sungyeol,” the boy said, gritting his teeth, “Must you refute everything I say?”

Sungyeol shrugged. “I only argue against things that are obviously wrong, make no sense, or just simply stupid. I can’t help that everything you say is stupid, wrong, or doesn’t make sense, Sungjong.”

Sungjong glared at Sungyeol. “Hah! You think you are all that, don’t you?” he shouted, jumping off the small steel dividers. “But you know, you’re wrong sometimes as well! More wrong than right, I would say.”

“Maybe that’s because you don’t fully understand what I’m saying, being stupid and all,” Sungyeol muttered back.

“What?” Sungjong seethed, reaching over to try and grab Sungyeol. Myungsoo leaned back afraid that either Sungjong or Sungyeol would accidentally involve him in their little scuffle.

However, it wasn’t Myungsoo who had stopped their argument suddenly, it was instead a hand. A hand that was shoved into his line of vision, which Myungsoo then visibly flinched from the sudden motion. He thought that Sungjong had tripped and clumsily swung his hand toward him, but he realized that wasn’t the case with Sungjong staring with confusion at the person standing in front of him who was now shouting.

He focused his attention to the person in front of him. A girl who had a panicked and confused look in her eyes. She was breathing hard as if she had ran the way here.

He slowly pushed her hand down and asked politely. “I’m sorry, who are you? Do I know you?” He looked at her again and took a better look at her face.

And what he saw surprised him in the least.

Cho Soojin.

Cho Soojin was standing in front of him.

He wanted to laugh right there and now. At her, at himself, at whoever was playing with their fate, but resisted the urge to do so.

“Please, do you know what this is?” she asked desperately, raising her hand once again, pointing at her pinkie. “Do you even see it?”

There was nothing there, and he half-wondered if he took interest in a crazy girl. But he disregarded those ideas, seeing the serious expression on her face.

“There’s nothing there.”

Myungsoo turned to look at Sungyeol who shrugged. “What? There really isn’t.”

Myungsoo looked back at the girl. “Is there something I’m supposed to be looking at?”

“You don’t see it? The red string?” she cried out miserably.

He shook his head. “Sorry, I don’t.”

Suddenly Sungjong piped up, taking her attention off of him and onto Sungjong who was now laughing about something the red string.

Now that she wasn’t focused on him, Myungsoo had a brief moment to think about what had just happened.

Cho Soojin. The girl who had caught his attention only yesterday was now concerned about a red string. If he remembered correctly, it had something to do with being soulmates. And she had asked him specifically. Which meant that perhaps she saw a red string connecting from her to him?

He was positive that this was the work of something otherworldly. He had spontaneously asked someone out there in the ethereal world for a way for meet her again, and this was their response.

Maybe he should take up religion again.

“I must have made a mistake. I’m sorry for wasting your time,” he caught her saying.

Sungjong must have said something that caused her to look to stricken with embarrassment. “Nice going,” he muttered as he elbowed Sungjong.

He turned his attention to the girl. “Look, I’m sorry I couldn’t help you find what you’re looking for. Is there any way I could help…” he said, asking for name even though he knew what it was.

She shook her head. “No, it’s nothing. I’ll probably never meet you again, so try and forget what happened,” she said, shooting him down. She bowed and briskly walked away, only looking back once with narrowed eyes.

Myungsoo stared at her in awe of the fact that he met Soojin like this.

Sungjong grabbed Myungsoo by the shoulder, finally letting out peals of laughter. “Oh, I like her. Red string of fate. How novel.”

“She was saying that we were soulmates?” Myungsoo asked curiously.

Sungjong nodded. “Yep. You know about it? The red string is supposed to connect one person to his or hers fated soulmate. Around their left pinkie,” Sungjong informed, pointing to his own left pinkie. “You know the drill. Never supposed to break but can be tangled and stretched and all that good stuff.”

“I think she was serious,” Sungyeol mumbled from the side.

Sungjong rolled his eyes. “Of course, she was serious. She wanted to go out with good ‘ol Myungsoo here.”

Sungyeol glowered at his friend. “That’s not what I meant. I meant that I think she actually saw the string connecting from her pinkie to Myungsoo’s. You saw her. She seemed desperate to know whatever was on her hand. She didn’t even really look at Myungsoo.”

“Huh,” Sungjong let out, toying with the idea that she could really see the string. “Well, if that’s true, looks like you found your soulmate, Myungsoo. Lucky you. You find her pretty?”

Myungsoo grinned, reminiscing about the time he saw her in the rain. “I find her interesting.”

Sungjong gave Sungyeol a look that could only represent an all-knowing one while Sungyeol simply gave a smirk back.

“Right,” Sungjong teased. “Interesting.”

Myungsoo rolled his eyes. “Oh, shut up,” he laughed, pushing his friend which caused him to lose balance and fall. Myungsoo and Sungyeol and stared at the sudden occurrence and burst out laughing.

 

He glanced at his watch noting that he had a few hours before he had class. He decided to head to library to study before he had to go. He shifted his backpack and took a deep breath, but paused when something caught his attention from the corner of his eye.

He watched as a girl scrambled through the campus, swerving and avoiding pedestrians, with a haggled expression on her face.

He caught himself with a grin on his face and bit his lip to keep himself from smiling even further. She really was interesting.

He wondered if he should approach her because he realized that it might seem odd and awkward to suddenly speak to her. Especially after her embarrassment this morning, even if he thought it was slightly cute.

He almost stopped himself and turned around. He almost decided that it wasn’t worth it since it might make her dislike him instead.

Almost.

Myungsoo had realized he had been living his life being terrified of the consequences. He didn’t want that anymore, not after he had achieved so much. If someone had granted his wish to meet this girl, he might as well as take this opportunity.

As she was rushing, he stopped right in front of her causing her to cease to a screeching halt. The glare on her face spelled out every annoyance in her head at that moment.

“What. Do. You. Want?” she barked out.

Myungsoo grinned. Oh, he had made the right decision. He found her attitude hilarious. The way this girl seemed to hate every second that passed by that forced her to stay with him.

He was loving every minute of it.

 

“You look like a crazy person.”

Myungsoo stopped reminiscing his past to see the same girl he was thinking of giving him an odd look.

“I just might be,” he replied.

She scoffed, taking a seat next to him and passing him his iced coffee while she sipped her own cup of tea.

“What were you thinking about?” she asked curiously.

He shook his head. “Ah, just the past.”

He could tell that Soojin didn’t know what to make of that. If he was thinking about his own dark past or if it was simply recent events.

She shook her as she gave up trying to figure it out, but then looked away.

“What’s up?” Myungsoo asked, knowing that something was bothering her.

She glanced at him, hesitating slightly, before looking down at her hand.

“You know when I told you how we were connected by a red string?”

Myungsoo grinned. “Very clearly.”

She rolled her eyes briefly before turning serious again. “Did you ever believe me? Or were you playing along?”

He blinked at her in surprise, a bit taken aback at the fact that he was just thinking about the same thing. He smiled at her, a childlike grin pulling on his lips. “I believed you,” he answered with his own thoughts finishing, “It might have been might fault that you did.”

He paused. “Why are you asking?”

She looked down at her left hand again spreading it out in front of her. “I can’t see it anymore. It’s gone. Like it never existed.”

“So, you’re saying we’re not connected anymore? That we actually not meant to be together? Weren’t you the one who said you weren’t going to let fate decide your future?” he asked with a flourish of dramatic surprise, exaggerating his hand as he held it against his chest.

She lightly smacked him in the arm. “Oh, shut up. I’m past that now. Whether fate did put us together, and even if I hated it in the beginning, I’m happy now.” She paused, trying to put what she wanted to say. “I think the reason why I can’t see it anymore is because we’re together.”

He blinked at her. “What?”

“Well, the day you returned my feelings, it disappeared. And for the life of me, I didn’t know why. I thought it meant something bad, that something was going to happen to you. But after thinking about it, I believe it disappeared after doing its job.”

“Its job?” Myungsoo asked, a small teasing grin appearing at his face. “Then I don’t think that it did its job correctly.”

“What do you mean?” she asked, a small crease of confusion shrouding her face.

“What if I said that I liked you the moment I saw you?”

“Bull,” she replied immediately. “Who the hell falls in love at first sight?”

She looked at him as he looked back suggestively, raising both his eyebrows twice in a row.

“You’re joking.”

“I do remember telling you that. And that I was actively pursuing that person that I saw.”

Soojin stopped and thought about what he said. She vaguely remembered Myungsoo telling her that he believed at first sight, and there was someone that he saw that made him feel that way. And if she remembered correctly, he also said that he was in the progress of wooing her when she had asked him why he wasn’t doing anything when he was with her at that moment.

Realization came over her and she widened her eyes at her revelation. He had taken interest in her for that long; it almost baffled her.

Soojin looked away with embarrassment. “How are Sungjong and Sungyeol?” she asked abruptly.

Myungsoo chuckled at her blatant attempt to change the subject. “They’re good. Sungyeol’s been writing his thesis paper on why some human beings like solitude while others don’t and how one can’t exist without the other, or something along those lines. And Sungjong’s been bothering him as well as writing a paper for his math class.”

“You write papers in math class?”

“Right? It surprised me too. Something about theory,” he replied, nodding his head in mock seriousness. “And since we’re asking how people’s doing, how’s Hoya? You still talk to him right?”

Soojin nodded. “Yeah. Apparently his working part-time at this firm Dongwoo started up.”

“A firm? What kind of firm?”

Soojin laughed before answering. “A detective firm. Right above the arcade he still manages. He also recruited Sunggyu and Woohyun.”

“And his brother?” Myungsoo asked, this time a little hesitant.

“Taehyung?” she said in response. “Actually, he’s the student council president at his high school.”

“Really?” Myungsoo responded in mild surprise. “Isn’t that, er, sort of dangerous?”

“You would think, but this time he’s got someone who’ll keep him in check.”

“Who?”

“My brother. He’s vice-president. I never seen him so stressed. It’s actually quite amusing,” she laughed. She chose her next words carefully.

“How’s Hakyeon and Taehyun?”

Myungsoo smiled. “They’re managing. Leo and them, they got something worked out so that they can do help each person they affected in some way.”

“Isn’t that a lot of people?”

“Yeah, hence why they’re still at it.” Myungsoo sighed before giving off a soft smile. “But I never have seen Hakyeon so peaceful. Like he’s found himself. It also helps that Taehyun is there too. Hakyeon has been relying on him a lot more.” He chuckled as he murmured, “Sometimes I think that he’s more of a genius than Hakyeon or me. Ken’s giving them a hard time, but they all have become good friends.”

Soojin snorted. “It’s funny how everything turned out so anticlimactic.”

Myungsoo pouted, “Not so! What about when I was about to die? That wasn’t so anticlimactic, now was it?”

Soojin looked away, keeping quiet.

Myungsoo grinned, leaning closer to her as she inched away from him. “Or when I professed my love for you? Even though I liked you the moment I set eyes one you?”

She scowled despite the light blush on her face. “You did not like me when you first saw me. At most, you had an interest.”

He shook his head and tsked several times, wagging his index finger at her. “Oh, no. Don’t deny our love. Even fate deemed it so.”

She rolled her eyes. “You are so full of yourself. I wonder why everyone likes you so much. The professors, especially.”

He smirked. “I can’t it if I’m so lovable. But no need to get jealous, I only like you.”

She snorted. “Speaking of people liking you so much, my mom wants to meet you.”

Myungsoo raised an eyebrow in interest. “Oh?”

She nodded back. “Yeah, so, er, can you come over this weekend?”

“No,” he replied slowly, a soft smile appearing on his face. “I can’t this weekend.”

“Why not?” she asked with a quizzical look.

He gave her a side glance nervously. “I’m going back home. I’m going to go visit my family.”

shaped a small “O” as she whispered the same thing, but then gave him a bright smile. “Good luck.”

His lips shaped into a quick smile. “Which leads me to asking you if you could possibly go with me?”

She pointed at herself. “Me?” she let out with a small surprise. “You want me to go with you?”

He nodded silently.

She pretended to take her time, musing over the idea which in return made Myungsoo extremely nervous. “Weeell…” She laughed at his expression and nudged him softly. “Of course, I’ll go with you.”

“Good. Cause I was about to say that if you refused, I was going to drag you there with me.”

She scoffed. “What kind of a boyfriend are you?”

And with that word, Myungsoo’s mouth quirked into a smile.

“What?” she asked, seeing the sly expression written all over his face.

“That’s the first time you called me your boyfriend.”

She looked away embarrassedly. “You’re already called “My Soulmate” on my phone; I don’t think anything could be more embarrassing than that.”

“No? How about this?”

She turned to him in confusion. “What’s that?”

He leaned over and gave her a small kiss on the lips, which she pulled back in shock. He pouted at her reaction, giving her sad puppy eyes.

She rolled her eyes and laughed, tugging him closer by the sleeve and giving him a kiss in return. A longer and more passionate one.

Myungsoo grinned back in response after they pulled apart. “Look at you. Acting all shy, but in reality you’re really like this.”

“You just figured that out now?” she replied, sticking out her tongue.

Myungsoo shook his head as he got up from where he was sitting. He pulled on her arm, signaling her to do the same. Once she got up, he intertwined his fingers with hers and said, “Let’s go. I told Sungjong and Sungyeol we were meeting up with them. I never really explained to them that we were going out because honestly we never had time to hang out from being too busy.”

Soojin looked up at him and grinned. “Fifty bucks that Sungjong will freak out and Sungyeol will look at us with a face that says ‘I knew it.”

“What kind of a bet is that?” Myungsoo tsked. “We both know that is exactly what will happen.”

“Oh my god.”

They looked away from each other to direct their attention to the newcomer’s voice.

“Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh. My. God!” Sungjong cried out in excitement. “I knew it. I knew it! Oh my god, I told you so!” he shouted as he pounded the boy next to him with his fist in delight.

The other boy scowled, moving away from his hyperactive friend while giving him a glare for good measure. He looked at Myungsoo and Soojin and nodded approvingly with a slight smirk on his face.

However, that didn’t last long when Sungjong barreled into Sungyeol, crushing him into a hug. “Finally! I called it. I totally called it.”

Sungyeol looked like he was about to strangle his friend if he didn’t stop hugging him, while Myungsoo and Soojin looked each other and laughed.

 


A/N: It’s done. At long last. I feel like this story isn’t one of my best, but I still liked it all the same. I think I should have planned it out a little better. I’m sure that some of  you who originally started reading this didn’t expect it to go the way it did. I actually didn’t either. It went from fluffly to intense pretty fast, haha. But it went the way it did, and I hoped it didn’t turn you away.

So, thanks for reading despite its flaws. Perhaps one day I’ll go back and fix some parts, but for now, I’m glad we all made it to the end.

Thanks for reading this story with our lovely Myungsoo. Thank you to all my subscribers, my commenters, and all my readers. You all supported me in some way, shape, or form, and I honestly appreciate every single one of you. I truly do. You all are awesome like a possum!

I’ll hopefully make a better story with Myungsoo in the future, but we’ll see. But first, I'm working on a Dongwoo story. So, check it out here if you want to.

Thank you everyone! I really can't express my thanks enough. And thank you for reading until this final sentence.