Love Stories: The Good and the Bad

You're My Red String of Fate

Soojin didn’t see Myungsoo for a while after their encounter with the two strangers.

Every time she thought he would appear like he always has, there was no one staring across from her.

Truthfully she liked his presence, and she was beginning to miss it.

Not that she would say that out loud.  

But in the end, she had convinced herself that it was for the better. Wasn’t this what she wished for since the beginning? That she wouldn’t be approached by the man that went by the name of Kim Myungsoo?

She wouldn’t be bothered by that man, whether he was in her life or not.

 

Nevertheless, she was surprised when he causally sat in front of her when she eating her lunch while reading a book.

He didn’t even say anything. He simply sat himself in front of her, put his hand under his chin, and looked at the many people passing by.

Soojin glanced up from her book for a brief moment before looking back down to continue reading.

She didn’t say a word and neither did he.

This continued on for a while, both blatantly ignoring each other, as if one was waiting for the other to speak first.

Soojin glanced up for what seemed to be the millionth time. She had a good feeling that the boy across from wanted to apologize but didn’t know how.

And honestly she was getting weary of the fleeting glimpses they were giving each other.

She set down her book which caught the attention of Myungsoo. He looked flustered before swiveling his body to face Soojin.

He opened his mouth slightly but no sound came out.

Soojin looked at him and gave him a slight smile, as if to encourage him.

He sighed, took a deep breath, and tried again. “I’m sorry,” he finally managed to say.

Soojin raised an eyebrow. “Sorry?”

He looked down in shame and blubbered out, “I’m sorry for leaving you suddenly that time. I’m sorry for staying away from you even though I told you not to do that to me. I’m sorry for not explaining anything to you. I’m sorry for…”

He stopped and looked at Soojin in surprise.

Because she started to laugh.

He pursed his lips and glared at her.

“Sorry, sorry,” she laughed breathlessly. She tried to breathe but a chuckle came out instead.

“Apparently you have a lot to apologize for that I didn't even consider,” she laughed out in short breaths.

She continued, “Honestly, if you simply said ‘I’m sorry’, I would have been fine with that.”

He stared at her with surprise, “Really?”

She laughed again, “Yeah. If you sincerely feel sorry for what you did, then your words speak for themselves. There’s no need for such excessive apologies.”

She cocked her head. “So Myungsoo.”

“Yeah?” he replied.

“I forgive you.”

He smiled gratefully in return.

 

In a sort of attempt of an apology, Myungsoo insisted on treating Soojin out for something sweet like they were going to do before.

Soojin had a soft spot for sweets, actually food in general, and accepted his invitation.

“I swear it was on this street,” Myungsoo muttered.

Soojin glanced left and then to the right. “I don’t see this specialty shop you’re talking about.”

“It was this street. I went with Sungjong and Sungyeol to get a couple of drinks.”

He paused, “But it has been a while, I suppose. It could have moved since I last been here or – Oh! Here it is!”

He stopped short in front of a small shop which almost made Soojin run into him.

“Hey! Don’t just stop so suddenly.”

She looked at him curiously who was staring at the sign posted on the window. “What’s the matter? Why aren’t you going in?”

She leaned over to see the note as well. “Or not,” she said after reading the sign.

They looked through the glass to see many couples in the shop eating and laughing.

Because it seemed that the café was having a special promotion. A special promotion concerning couples.

“Let’s go,” Soojin muttered as she tugged on Myungsoo’s sleeve. “This isn’t for us.”

He stopped her and grinned, “Who said? They don’t know we’re not a couple. And look! It’s a discount for couples.”

He pulled her inside. She smacked him on the arm and whispered, “Myungsoo! No way. This is awkward.”

He shushed her and gave the waitress a bright smile. “Hi. Table for two?”

The woman smiled, “Oh! A couple? Right this way.”

Soojin unwillingly followed between the two who already struck a conversation.

“Oh! So you two just got together recently?” the lady asked cheerfully as she showed them a table.

“That’s right. That’s why she’s so embarrassed. She’s not used to all the attention we get as a couple,” Myungsoo answered back happily.

“Isn’t that cute,” she giggled.

She winked at Soojin. “Trust me on this, but this will be the highlight of your relationship. You know, when they dote and you and stuff.”

She sighed happily, “And your boyfriend’s such a charmer and a looker. You’re so lucky. I wish mine was like that.”

Soojin smiled politely and roughly sat in her seat.

“Anyways, here’s your menus. Look through them and we’ll take your order shortly.”

She left them briskly to attend to another customer.

“Why did you say all of that?” Soojin hissed quietly at Myungsoo.

He smirked back, “Did you want her not to think we’re a couple? We wouldn’t be able to get that discount. I told her all that so she wouldn’t think we’re just a couple of friends trying to take advantage of their promotion.”

“I suppose,” she hesitantly said.

He chuckled, “You know I’m right.”

Soojin frowned and picked up the menu.

“Shut up and pick something to eat,” she grumbled embarrassedly.

He laughed and began to flip through the menu.

“Let’s get this!” Soojin suddenly cried, pointing at a picture in the special menu.

Myungsoo leaned over to get a closer look and raised his eyebrows teasingly. “A couple sundae?”

She grinned happily, “Look how big it is! And such a good price as well. It’d be a shame not to get it.”

“It’s for couples only though,” he replied mischievously.

She hesitated and looked away in embarrassment, “Well, you already claimed we’re a couple in this shop. So we should take advantage of it. Probably.”

He laughed, “I’m up for it.”

“Yay,” she quietly cheered and clapped her hands softly in celebration with a silly grin on her face.

 

They quickly ordered their food and a silence fell upon them.

Soojin took the time to look throughout the shop. The couples that were sitting around were all focused in their own little world.

Myungsoo, who was also looking at the couples, said, “Do you believe in love at first sight?”

Soojin turned her attention back to Myungsoo, “Love at first sight?” She paused and shook her head, “No. Do you?”

He smiled, “Yeah. I do.”

She blinked at him, “Then have you had it happen to you? Falling in love at first sight?”

He grinned, “Yeah.”

“How did it feel like?”

He frowned, “I don’t know how to explain it, but when I saw her, she was the only one I saw. And I knew I wanted to talk to her, know who she was.”

“Then did you go out with her?” Soojin asked.

“No, not yet.”

“Then why aren’t you out there chasing after her?”

He grinned playfully, “Who said I’m not? It’s in the progress.”

“Then why are you here with me when you could be out there pursuing her? Won’t she misunderstand?” she asked, a little frustrated with this situation.

He laughed, “Don’t worry. Anyways, we’re here so I could apologize. And we came as friends.”

“I suppose,” she slowly said.

He winked, “So don’t worry about it.”

“But why don’t you believe in it? Love at first sight?” he asked.

She frowned, “Don’t you think it’s superficial? You see someone; you fall in love. That means you fell in love with their appearance. And honestly, I can’t refute that because appearance is what catches our initial attention. But I think that you should at least take the time to know their personality before going out with him or her. Love at first sight means you disregard their personality.”

He looked at her thoughtfully, “True. Although when I first saw her, her personality was already showing.  But in the end, I never told her it was love at first sight nor did I confess, so I’m getting to know her better by the day before trying anything.”

She sighed and put a hand to her cheek, “Then why do you believe in this ‘love at first sight’?”

He thought for a minute and said slowly, “I think it’s because of my parents.”

“Really? How so?” she asked curiously.

He laughed, “Probably of how they first met.”

“A love story?” she said amusedly.

He nodded, “When my dad was younger, he worked in a shop that his parents owned. My mom went in there looking for a specific chair for her apartment. She’s a specific person, so she knew what she wanted. A chair with red velvet seating.

So my mom went into my dad’s shop to see if they were selling one. And my dad fell in love at first sight. My mom, not so much.”

He laughed thinking about it. “She pretty much was only thinking about the chair. My dad didn’t have the chair, but he insisted on helping my mom find one. So they went around to different shops trying to find it. But while they were, my dad called up his best friend to make a chair exactly like how my mom wanted. Of course it wasn’t for free. My dad had to treat his friend out for a whole month.”

He stopped to drink some water and continued, “So my dad kept my mom busy while his friend fixed up the chair. In the end, my mom couldn’t find a chair that was exactly what she wanted, so they headed back to my dad’s shop. And there in all its glory was the chair. My dad’s friend pretended to work there as well and said that a new shipping just came in. My mom was big believer in fate, and she thought that the chair was a sign. So my dad and my mom decided to go out.”

He put his hands on his cheeks and grimaced in second-hand embarrassment. “And at their wedding, my dad’s friend told the story about what my dad did as a speech. Imagine my mom’s surprise. She honestly thought that chair was a sign. But in the end she forgave him because she realized how much effort he put just so he could go out with her.”

“And they lived happily ever after?” Soojin asked, unknowingly a bit sarcastically.

He looked at her in laughter, “Yes, they did. They’re still happily married and still lovey-dovey.”

He glanced at her in suspicion, “Why are you doubtful of their love story? Did you find it not cute enough?”

“No, it was cute. I just don’t fully believe that love stories actually last that long.”

She put a hand, “Don’t get me wrong. I’m happy for your parents. But the thing is, mine didn’t have such a happy ending.”

“What do you mean?” Myungsoo asked, tilting his head in confusion.

She smiled softly, “My parents had a cute love story too, I suppose. My mom worked in this sweet shop and my dad fell in love seeing her after he went to buy some candy. So everyday he would bring her a rose, trying to persuade her to go out with him. My mom refused every time, but day my dad brought her a full bouquet of flowers. He told her that instead of a rose every day, it would a bouquet of flowers every day until she agreed to go out with. My mom finally gave in.  They went out for a while before marrying.”

Then she smiled regretfully, “But then they started to fight and in the end my parents divorced. It was really hard on me, since I was already in junior high. I really loved listening to my parent’s love story when I was little. But as I grew older, I realized how much love isn’t all sweet and nice. I couldn’t always expect love to be so perfect.”

“So what happened next?” Myungsoo asked cautiously.

“My mom took custody of my brother and me, and my dad moved somewhere else. He still keeps in contact with us, so there are no hard feelings anymore. Their love simply didn’t work out.”

“Is that why you’re so cynical when it comes to love?” Myungsoo asked.

Soojin laughed, “Maybe. It was most likely the start of it. But after looking at couples today, I think it speaks for itself.”

She looked over and brightened up, “Enough talking about love. The sundae’s here!”

Myungsoo turned to look, and the waitress set the sundae down.

She smiled warmly, “Enjoy.” And she walked away.

Myungsoo glanced at Soojin who had a gleeful smile on her face.

He chuckled and passed her a spoon. “May our relationship last happily and forever,” he said as a cheer.

Soojin grabbed her spoon and looked at Myungsoo curiously, “You mean our relationship as friends, right?”

He grinned, “Nah, I mean our relationship as a ‘couple’,” using his fingers as quotation marks on the word couple.

Soojin rolled her eyes and smiled.

She didn’t want to admit it, but frankly she missed it.

She missed Myungsoo and his spontaneous personality when he was gone.

A lot.

 


A/N: So you get to see where they came from. That’s important, right?

Sorry for the cheesy? love stories.

So do any of you guys believe in love in first sight? I’m not sure if I do because honestly, it hasn’t happened to me.

As always, thanks for reading! And see you next time.