The Nighttime Escapees

You're My Red String of Fate

The noise of her vibrating phone against her table made her groan, as she reached over dazedly for it. After a few seconds of fumbling, she managed to find it amongst the mess on her night table.

The bright light that illuminated from the phone made her squint as her eyes adjusted from the sudden brightness. She blinked a few times, making sure that the words that were displayed were correct. The name “My Soulmate” proudly pronounced on her phone.

She hesitated picking it up, remembering her time with him just two days ago. But in the end, she pressed the call button and tiredly put it against her ear. “Hello?” she mumbled drowsily.

A chipper voice replied back, “What? You were asleep? Get dressed! I have something to show you.”

“It’s …” she paused to get a closer look at the time, “almost midnight. Can’t you show me when it’s actually bright outside?”

“Why are you asleep now? Isn’t it normal for people our age to be up at this time? And no can do. It has to be now. Like right now,” he demanded.

“You’re crazy. Wasn’t it just two days ago that you kicked me out of your house?”

He hesitated and mumbled softly, “Yeah, I’m sorry about that. But honestly, I’ll explain later. But now, you have to come out!”

“I’m hanging up, Myungsoo.”

“I’m outside your house.”

She widened her eyes to lean over to her window, pulling down one blind down and peered out the window. She could faintly make out a person standing on the crosswalk outside the house.

“Are you crazy?” she hissed into her phone, still staring at the figure outside. “What are you doing here?”

“If you like, I’ll gladly ring your doorbell to get you. Though I don’t know how your family will take this nighttime visit.”

She closed her eyes in frustration. “The things you make me do,” she muttered.

“And you love it,” he chuckled.

“More like I detest it.” And before he could make a comeback, she hung up. She changed out of her pajamas, bundling up with layers, for the night air was cold, and snuck out of the house.

She quickly walked to where he was standing, about to tell him a piece of his mind, where he was dressed in all black but a white poking out of his jacket’s sleeve contrasted the dark colors he was wearing. Her eyes fell onto the cast he was wearing and faltered a bit. “Are you okay now?”

He looked at in her surprise and looked down at his arm. “What? Oh, yeah. I’m fine. The doctor said I just fractured my wrist. Nothing a few weeks won’t heal.”

She looked at him with relief but then realized what she was doing at this moment.

She demanded, “Well? What did you want to show me? Hurry up, so I can go back and sleep.”

He grinned, his eyes wide with excitement. “It’s not here. It’s at the school.”

She gave him as look of disbelief. “The school,” she stated.

He nodded.

She sighed. “How are we going to get there? I think the buses stopped running and if they do, it’ll take forever. Plus, neither of us have a car.”

He laughed easily. “Who said I didn’t have a car?” he laughed, moving out of the way to show an old beat-up brown car behind him.

She looked at him in puzzlement. “Your car?”

He shook his head. “It’s Sungjong’s. He let me borrow it for tonight.”

He opened up the passenger door and waved his hand inside. “Your chariot awaits, milady.”

She looked at him, glanced back at her dark house, and then back at him. “I can’t believe I’m doing this. My mom is going to kill me,” she muttered as she stepped in the car.

He simply grinned as he closed the door behind her.

 

The dark atmosphere of the school made it seem more ominous than before despite the fact that the full moon illuminated their way.

Not that she was afraid of the dark, but she wasn’t going to risk running into anything of the supernatural kind. Which is why she was lightly, barely, grabbing the back of his jacket, trailing behind him.

He let her despite wanting her to actually take initiative and do something more, while a small smirk stayed on his face.

And even though she was literally hanging on to him, he was partly dragging her to the location he had in mind. And while trekking there, she noticed that she had once before walked the same path.

“Are we going to…?” she started slowly.

“The greenhouse? Yes,” he answered with a laugh.

“And do tell me what exactly we are doing going to the greenhouse at this ungodly hour?”

He grinned. “You’ll see,” he murmured mysteriously.

She sighed and muttered, “I feel like I’ve been through this conversation before,” while she followed him to the door of the greenhouse.

He opened it, and she looked at it in confusion. “Isn’t it supposed to be locked?”

He simply smiled in response.

While they maneuvered through the different types of vegetation, he finally led her to a door that they encountered before.

He knocked and waited while she stared at it. “And that is definitely supposed to be locked. Top-secret plants in there.”

He merely kept grinning.

The door spun open and she recognized the man as one of the botany professors. “Myungsoo! You’re just in time. Quickly, come in,” he cried as he ushered them in.

Myungsoo pulled Soojin in behind him while the professor noticed the extra person. “Oh? You brought someone with you?” he asked curiously.

“She’s a good friend of mine. I wanted to show her it.”

The professor watched her carefully then shrugged. “Well, it doesn’t matter. The rest of the students are already here. Come, come,” he urged as he motioned them to follow him.

They reached toward the side of the room where the glass walls stood and the bright moon shimmered through brilliantly. A group of people, students and professors, were huddled over a plant, most of them having cameras ready.

They looked over to the newcomers and most of them smiled at the appearance of Myungsoo. They greeted him happily as well as Soojin with a politer tone.

“They’re my classmates,” he whispered to her as she looked at the unfamiliar faces. She nodded in understanding.

She craned her neck to see what the fuss was about. She squinted to get a closer look at it, and narrowed her eyes in confusion. “What sort of flower is that?” she asked as she looked the white flowers that haven’t bloomed yet, their petals closed tightly together.

Before Myungsoo could answer, another female student spoke up excitedly. “It’s a Kadupul flower imported directly from Sri Lanka, so it’s the real deal. Not those that look similar to it,” she excitedly said.

Another male student nodded animatedly. “It’s one of two rare flowers we cultivate here. But the reason why it’s so rare is because it rarely blooms and only at night. And then it withers by dawn. We have calculated that tonight is its first blossom,” he grinned.

Myungsoo gave them a playful glare. “Hey, if you guys explain it all, what am I supposed to do?”

The two students laughed and chimed together, “Sorry, Myungsoo.”

“At least you’re in time for the viewing,” the female student said.

Soojin mused thoughtfully, “Was this the second rare flower that you told me about last time?”

Myungsoo smiled lightly. “You remembered. Yeah, it is.” He turned his attention back on the flower. “Everyone’s really excited for this since it’ll be the first time we’ll get to see it bloom after cultivating all this time. We’re positive that it’ll bloom again sometime this week, but tonight’s the first one.” He looked at her. “And that’s why it had to be today and at this time.”

She stared at him then smiled slightly. “I see. So there was a reason why you dragged me out of bed.” She then looked down sadly. “This feels weird.”

He looked at her in confusion. “How so?”

“Weren’t we just arguing just two days ago?”

Something flashed in his eyes for a split second but she couldn’t read it. He looked away. “This was something I wanted to show you for the longest time and us arguing wasn’t going to change that.”

There was an awkward silence as she stared at her hands while he looked at everything but her.

“It’s starting!” one of the students shouted.

Both of then turned to look as the flower began to slowly open in the moonlight. In the span of a few minutes, the thin white petals stretched open gracefully, revealing the delicate yellow core.

Soojin watched the flower bloom, awed by the beauty of it. There was a complete silence amongst the viewers as they watched it as well as shattered clicks of cameras.

The life of the flower only lasted a few hours before it withered away with dawn approaching. Once the life cycle of the flower was done, everyone started to bustle around to clean up. Several students and professors all said their farewells to each other, all returning home to get a few hours of sleep before starting the next school day.

Myungsoo said his last good-bye to one of his classmates and stopped when his professor called him over.

“I’ll be leaving, Myungsoo.”

Myungsoo nodded and glanced at Soojin who was crouched down with her palms on her cheeks, staring at the withering flower. “I think I’ll stay a little longer and then head out.”

His professor frowned but nodded. He handed him the key. “I’m only doing this because it’s you. Be sure to lock the door once you leave.”

“Will do, Professor.”

After saying good-bye to his professor, Myungsoo headed over where Soojin was still staring at the flower.

He crouched down next to her and gazed at the flower as well.

“That was really nice of you to show me this,” she mumbled.

He smiled back at her, glad to see that she at least appreciated his effort despite their past arguments.

“But it makes you wonder,” she muttered softly.

He looked at her in confusion.

“That something so beautiful can be so short-lived. That even this can come to an end. And it makes you wonder if people in our lives can be the same.”

She turned to look at him sadly. “Are you going to be like this flower? Are you going to disappear as well? Only to be appreciated for a while and then disappear?”

Myungsoo stared at her, at the swirling conflicted thoughts in her eyes. He looked at the flower, bending his head on top of his crossed arms which lay on top of his knees. “I don’t know,” he muttered honestly. “But I would rather pay for what I’ve done and disappear to make sure that the people I care about are unharmed.”

“Don’t you think that you’ll hurt those people in the process? Aren’t you being selfish?”

He glanced at her. “Then I would rather be selfish than let harm fall upon those I care about. Like I’ve always done before.”

She frowned, “You’re not alone, Myungsoo.”

He laughed. “I know. At least, now I know.”

She was about to say something in return, but he interrupted her. “I think I’m beginning to see why you guys are insistent on making sure you are all involved with me, despite my constant attempts to hide all of this from you.”

She looked at him in surprise.

He laughed, still staring at the flower, touching its delicate petals. “I was ambushed at my apartment by Sungjong and Sungyeol the other day with them yelling of how stupid I was. I was surprised at their outburst, but they sat me down and talked to me.”

He grimaced slightly. “But not after threatening to cut up all my clothes. Some friends they are.”

Soojin grinned a bit, laughing internally at how those two actually followed through their threats.

“And they told me that I was stupid since I never told them what happened. That they felt a bit disappointed in me. Because they were my friends, yet I never said a thing to them.”

He looked at her. “And then I realized that I was doing the same thing to those two as I did before. Pushing them away without really talking to them.”

She looked at him with uncertainty. “I don’t think I understand.”

He looked at her with a warm gaze and smiled softly. “Sungjong and Sungyeol told me that I should take time and talk to you, and then let you decide. Because either way, you’ll try and find out anyways. Come to my apartment the day after tomorrow at 3. And then I’ll tell you everything.”

 


A/N: Back to the main story guys! Looks like Myungsoo is going to tell her. Finally. The next chapter is going to be interesting, methinks.

 

Here’s another flower lesson for you guys provided by the internet.

The Kadupul Flower is rare flower not because it’s hard to cultivate, but for the reason that it rarely blooms. They only bloom at night and withers before dawn. They’re found in Sri Lanka in the wild.

Not really sure how accurate this info is, since people say that they seen them before other places, but it's probably not the real authentic one.

I decided to use this flower for the fact that it’s possible for the school to obtain one, and who wouldn’t want a night date? Haha, not really a date since there were other people there.

 

P.S. I noticed that I didn't post part of the beginnig of the story from the last chapter. Shame on me! So if you haven't read it, you can go check it out. It's mainly talking about how they all got their one letter nicknames. It's not really anything important that you won't understand future chapters, but yeah. Sorry about that. And if you've already read it, no need to go back. Sorry, again!

P.P.S. School’s been really busy lately, so updates might be slow. But I’ll still try to update weekly, but maybe sometimes a little over a week.

Thanks for understanding, and thanks for reading!