Story Time

You're My Red String of Fate

Soojin looked up at the apartment complex in front of her. She had to tilt her head quite a bit in order to see the very top.

She faced forward once more and took a deep breath before heading toward the front of the building.

When she came face to face to the door to Myungsoo’s apartment, she began to feel a bit nerwous. She tried to calm down and took a quick look at her phone to confirm that this was indeed the right place, since he had sent her a text of where he resided before she had left her house.

She stood there for a while, wondering how she should react once she saw Myungsoo. She had heard so much about him, but not enough. She wanted to ask questions, but she didn’t know how to start.

She hesitantly rang the door buzzer and took a step back, deciding to let her instincts take over.

After a few seconds, the door swung open and Myungsoo popped out from behind and sighed in relief. He gave Soojin a wistful smile and said, “Thank God you’re here. I thought something might have happened for you.”

To her surprise, Soojin simply smiled at Myungsoo. He looked so worried and completely exhausted. She didn’t have to nerve to ask him anything at that moment.

He ran his hand through his head and looked at the floor in concentration. “I assumed it would take you at least seven minutes to get here after I called you. But after twenty minutes, I thought maybe you took a side trip? Like to the grocery store. But when it hit more than thirty minutes, I thought something came up.”

He started counting on his fingers. “If you consider your walking speed, which is a little on the slow side if I might add, then the average seven minutes to get from your house to my place would increase to maybe twelve minutes? But even that wouldn’t have mattered since you still haven’t arrived by then. But then if you consider…” He stopped and looked at Soojin in shock.

“Sorry. I sort of rambled there a little,” he mumbled sheepishly.

Soojin simply shook her head and smiled softly in return. “Don’t worry about it. I just got a little caught up before I got here, I suppose.”

Even if it was by accident, Soojin knew she had witnessed Myungsoo’s prowess. And it just made her all the more curious. And even more nervous.

Myungsoo looked at her a bit suspiciously but then shrugged. He opened the door wider and gestured Soojin to come in.

“Well then. Welcome to my humble home.”

She didn’t know what she expected when she passed through that threshold and into what Myungsoo called home. A fancy apartment with a lavish interior? Or maybe something rather dark and mysterious?

From all she had heard about Myungsoo and whether it was all true or not, it was confusing her that she didn’t know what to expect.

But instead it was as normal as it could be. A black leather couch with a cream coffee table adorning the living room. A medium-sized television was attached firmly against the wall with other digital accessories below it such as game consoles and a DVD player. Large windows with checkered black and white curtains hung from them, tied open to allow the sun come in. A rather modern styled black and white color schemed apartment.

As she was examining the living room, her eyes swept across to find that Myungsoo was not there anymore. She turned around and glanced around to find him. She heard him call out from another room, “Over here.”

With a fleeting glance at the living room, Soojin headed toward Myungsoo’s voice. As she walked through the hallway, she happened to momentary glimpse at the one of the rooms. She slowed down and ended up stopping at that spot.

She furrowed her eyes in surprise as all she saw was technologic equipment and machines. A large computer sat on one of the tables with wires connecting to other equipment she didn’t dare to begin to know what to call them.

“Soojin!”

She turned her head to the voice and back to the room once more with a lingering look before heading off the kitchen.

When she got there, she found Myungsoo leaning into the refrigerator, rummaging through it.

His head popped out and smiled guiltily. “I don’t have much food in here, so…”

Soojin shook her head and held up her bag. “I figured, so I bought some stuff.”

He clapped his hands in praise as he settled in one of the chairs near the counter. “Of course you would. You and food.”

She rolled her eyes. “Well, since I’m the one cooking. Is there anything your majesty desires?”

He shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t mind. I’m just hungry and aching for a good home-cooked meal.”

She opened up her bag and took out her items one by one. She inspected each item and said, “Luckily, it seems that none of the food spoiled. I was planning on making chicken stir-fry. I suppose I can follow on that plan.”

Myungsoo laughed, “Like I said, I don’t mind. As long as it’s edible.”

She scowled at him, “Are you suggesting that I’m such a horrible cook that I would make you inedible food?”

“I wouldn’t know, would I? So I suggest you hurry up and prove me wrong,” he grinned.

Soojin sighed and looked around. “Why did I even ask? Well then, I’m going to need a few things before I start. Like a cutting board? Or some knives?”

“Oh!” he cried as he jumped of his chair. “I’ve got them somewhere.” He walked over to where Soojin was standing and searched through his cabinets and drawers. He pulled out the equipment needed and set it on the kitchen counter.

He walked back to his chair and swung forward, facing Soojin. He put his chin on his hands and grinned. “So how long is it going to take?”

Soojin stopped cutting and looked up at him. “A while. Why don’t you make yourself busy and do something?”

He pouted, “But there’s nothing to do.”

She raised an eyebrow. “Really? Why do I find that so hard to believe?” she muttered.

“I know! Tell me a story!” he cried.

“Excuse me?”

“You know, a story. It’s something where you tell someone else about something. ”

“That made no sense whatsoever.”

He laughed, “Stop stalling, and tell me a story.”

She set down the knife and stared at him. “If you haven’t noticed, I’m sort of busy. Busy cooking you food,” she scowled.

“I know. That doesn’t mean you still can’t tell me a story,” he grinned.

“Fine. You want a story? I’ll tell you a story,” she muttered angrily.

She paused and looked around, trying to find a subject, before settling on Myungsoo. She bit her lip and sighed.

She picked up her knife and began to chop again. “There was a girl who lived a completely normal life. But then it became a bit more interesting, all because she met one person. At first she didn't really like this friend, but then they became closer. She had met new people, made new friends. And it was pleasnt for her, all because of this new friend."

Myungsoo nodded happily.

“One day, she was walking to her friend's house and saw some people. She had met them before, a while back. But they were dangerous people and apparently old friends of her new friend.”

 Myungsoo narrowed his eyes. “What do you mean?”

She ignored him and continued. “She witnessed something she should have never have seen. A boy getting beat up. She thought that there would be severe consequences because she saw. But they didn’t do anything. In the end, she ended up helping the beaten boy. And she was told things by him that she would have never imagined.  About them, those people. About whom they were. But even after everything, every single one of them told her not to get involved.”

She swept the cut vegetables into a bowl.

Myungsoo stood up. “Wait. Are you saying you met somebody?”

“But then the girl wondered. Wasn’t she already involved? Could she just stop right in the middle after hearing everything? Would she let herself become a bystander? Or should she stand up and figure it all out?” Soojin continued as worked on the chicken now.

“What happened? Did you… did you meet with N and K when you were coming over here?” Myungsoo asked worriedly.

“What do you think?” Soojin asked back.

Myungsoo sat back down in a slump. “I hope that you didn’t. I hope that you actually made up that story.” He sighed, “But I have a feeling that it’s not.”

“I heard about it, Myungsoo,” Soojin said softly. “I heard about who you were. A bit of your past self. Not a lot. But enough.”

“I don’t know what you heard, but I simply made the wrong decisions and now that past is over.” he sighed. “And they were right, you shouldn’t get involved. N and K are dangerous. Too dangerous.”

“Why? If they’re so dangerous, why are you involved?” Soojin asked in a frustrated tone as she headed toward the kitchen stove.

Myungsoo sat back down and turned his chair away from Soojin. “Should I tell you a story?” he asked quietly.

Soojin didn’t reply as she was facing away from Myungsoo and focused on cooking at the stove.

Myungsoo took a deep breath. “There once was a boy. A boy who was just a bit smarter than every one else. And because of that, he became a boy who simply didn't care. Nothing seemed interesting to him anymore. School was boring. Life in general was boring. But one day he met someone who offered him a more interesting life. A life beyond the books and mundane routine. A life that challenged him, exhilarated him. And he loved it. He loved the excitement, the rush. But as he went on, he realized what this life really was. It wasn’t all that he thought it was. It was darker and more dangerous than he thought. But he still kept at it, and that was the wrong choice. Bad things led to worse things, and because of one situation, that boy couldn’t hang on anymore. So he left. And no one knows where he is now. Even he doesn't know.”

“Myungsoo,” Soojin said softly.

“Do you understand now? Why everyone keeps telling you not to not involved? Why I keep telling you not to get involved? That world is more terrifying that you think. And someone like you, someone who wasn’t even concerned with it in the first place, should not even be involved at all.

Soojin, who had finished cooking, set the plate of food in front of Myungsoo.

As Myungsoo heard the clack of the plate hitting the counter, he turned slightly to peek at Soojin. He was surprised to see her looking straight at him in the eyes. He turned to face her head on.

“Do you know why I keep getting involved?” Soojin said, still staring directly at him, not wavering.

There was a slight pause before she whispered, “Because of you."

Soojin widened her eyes in surprise and clapped her hand on as if she didn’t expect herself to say those words.

Myungsoo stared back in surprise, opening his mouth to say something, anything.

A heavy pause fell between them, and Soojin acted first.

She grabbed her bag and stuffed her items inside. “I think I’m going to go,” she said in a rush. And quickly stepped out of the room.

“Soojin!” Myungsoo shouted, scrabbling off the chair. He rushed to the front door and opened it.

But it was too late.

All he met was an empty, silent hallway.

Soojin had already disappeared.

Myungsoo stared at the empty hallway and whispered sadly, “And that was the reason why I didn’t want you to get involved. Because it was you.”

 


A/N: I don’t know if I really like this chapter or dislike it. I was having troubles at first, but then the ending came out not that bad in opinion. Haha.

A quick note for you guys. I’ll be going to Germany for a family’s wedding! So I’ll be gone for about three, maybe four weeks. Therefore, I won’t be updating any of my stories in that time period.

But I shall be back! And I hope you guys will wait patiently for me.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you guys when I come back.