Noticing the String

You're My Red String of Fate

The bright light streaming through the window indicated that the morning sun had come after yesterday’s rain. Cho Soojin held her hand above her head. She was not trying to block the sun’s rays, but was rather looking at her left hand intently.

She blinked a few times then rubbed her eyes with her right hand, but whatever she saw had not disappeared. Because there on her left pinkie was a red piece of string tied perfectly into a little bow which trailed out through her door. She positive that this string was not there the night before.

She scowled as she tried to tug the string off, but no avail. Confused, she pulled harder, but the string stayed perfectly tied in a single bow.

She swung her legs out over the bed and casually walked to her desk. Searching amid her items on her desk, she grabbed her scissors and began to cut the string off. However, it wouldn’t cut through. It didn’t even make a make a dent in it. It was as if the scissors was cutting through nothing, cutting through air.  

“Impossible,” she thought, as she continued to work on cutting the string. She cocked her head confusedly before giving up and setting the scissors back down on her table.

Why the string wouldn’t even break, she couldn’t even fathom. But how the string got there, she had a pretty good idea.

She walked briskly out of her room and into the kitchen where her younger brother was eating breakfast and her mother was busy preparing food. She stopped when she realized that the string continued out the front door. She frowned, wondering why it led that way.

“What is this?” she asked harshly, shoving her left hand in front of her brother’s face who was busy reading the comic section of the newspaper.

He retracted his head quickly when he suddenly saw her hand. “What are you talking about?” he replied. He glared at her. “There's nothing there except for your stupid hand. Stop bothering me.” He roughly pushed her to the side.

“What do you mean there’s nothing there?” her voice slowly rising. “Cut the crap. How the hell do I get this ridiculous red string off? You’re the only one in this house who would do something like this!”

“What’s wrong?” her mother asked rushing over after hearing the yelling.

She grimaced, “Tell my lovely brother over there to tell me how to get this string of my finger.”

“What string?” her mother asked, trying to placate her.

“This stupid thing. See?” She showed her mother her left hand.

Her mother took her hand and peered at it. She gently let go and softly said, “Honey. There’s nothing there.”

Soojin turned her head in surprise. “Nothing there? But I swear…” She quickly brought her hand to her face, inspecting it closer. Nevertheless, she could still see the string in all its red glory.

“But… but… it’s there,” she insisted.

Her mother just shook her head. “You must be still drowsy from just waking up.” She glanced at the clock. “Oh dear,” she muttered. “You’re going to be late for class.”

Soojin jerked her head up towards her mother. “What?” She cursed in her head and swiftly ran to her room.

She quickly put on a pair of jeans, a white T-shirt, and a blue cardigan. She harshly brushed her dark brown hair, grumbling how she was going to miss breakfast. She grabbed her backpack and rushed out the door. Her mother was already holding the lunch Soojin and prepared the night last. She took it, kissed her mother on the cheek, and thanked her.

Her brother, who knew he had a good hour before his school started, casually continued to eat his breakfast. He glanced her way and rolled his eyes. “God, you’re such an idiot.”

Soojin glared at him and sharply pushed the back of his head. His head jerked, and he turned to stare angrily at her. She smirked and waved, shouting her goodbyes as she headed out the front door.

She hopped in her car and turned it on. The clock displayed that she had 30 minutes to get to class when it usually took her 45 minutes to get to the university. She cursed in her head again and quickly drove off.

 

 

Soojin gently rested her head on the steering wheel. Her heart was pounding. She had made it in exactly 30 minutes and was now trying to calm herself down in her car. She wasn’t panicking about being late to class. She didn’t rush out and start running to her class. No, the reason why she was so tranquil was because she realized that today was Wednesday not Thursday, and her first class started two hours from now.

She sighed. Her mother had given her a scare, but she knew she didn’t know. Soojin was decent at getting herself to school on time and never troubled her mom to wake her up and send her to school. So she knew her mother just assumed that she went to school at this time.

She took a deep breath and slunk lower in the car seat. She closed her eyes and brushed her bangs out of her eyes with the back of her hand. She felt a tingling sensation on her forehead and slowly opened her eyes.

She had forgotten. In midst of all the chaos in the morning, she had forgotten. Forgotten about the red string attached to her finger and seemed to go on endlessly. Forgotten that there was no way the string could have easily flowed from her finger to who-knows-where when she changed into her clothes instead of being entangled in them. Forgotten that the string was there but was sitting happily on her finger.  No, instead it was unbroken even being crushed through the car door, even when she drove erratically to school.

Now that she actually had the time to think about it, she had an infinite of questions coursing through her mind. If her brother didn’t put the string on her hand, who did? Why was it impossible to take off? Why was she the only one who saw it? What did it mean? Where did it lead?

She gently touched the string as if she was afraid it might disappear. It felt soft to her touch as she gently it. She was utterly and thoroughly confused, and she didn’t know what to do about it.

She looked at the string and then past it through the window. She sat up a little straighter. She was suddenly baffled with one question on her mind. Why was the string trailing into her university?

 


A/N: An introduction to the story. No Myungsoo yet, but he shall appear soon.

Thank you for reading and deciding to stay. See you guys again.