When You Have a Miscarriage

With You and Your Bias... [indefinite hiatus]
The squeak of the bed was barely heard over your sobs as you fell onto the mattress. How could this happen? You had taken care of yourself so well, eating everything right and following every direction that the doctor gave you. You had read nearly every book you could find and listened to the advice of everybody around you.

How could this happen?

You pulled out your phone just as it rang and looked at the caller ID. Your husband was calling and you desperately wanted to talk to him but you didn't know what to say. You just wanted him to hold you and you longed for his soothing voice.

You squeezed your eyes shut and more tears fell. Hugging yourself didn't seem to help and you felt cold all over. When you looked up, you realized the call had ended and a text message was on the screen instead.

«i'm nearly home. how was your appointment? did the doctor say anything? are you still feeling sick?»

You smiled at your husband's concern but the smile only turned into a quivering sob. You had to pull yourself together. How were you going to tell him anything if all you did was cry?

You sat up and took a deep but shaky breath. While wiping the tears off your face, you checked yourself in the mirror. You looked like a mess but there was no helping it. You could already hear your boyfriend slipping his keys into the front door.

"Honey, where are you?" His voice resonated through the seemingly empty house. You desperately wished he could magically teleport to your side in a second.

You gulped down the lump in your throat and replied. "In here." Your voice didn't betray you and somehow, it came out steady.

"Hey, I picked up some stuff on the way back. You can look through them after you finish eating this, okay?" He sounded cheery as he approached your room, holding a carton of rice porridge in his hand. But the moment he saw you, he dropped the bag he had in his other hand and set the carton on your vanity.

He ran over and knelt in front of you. You tried not to cry, you really did, but seeing him worried made you crack. You bunched his shirt in your hands and clung onto his shoulders. He took that cue to come up and envelop you in his arms.

Your attempt to say his name failed as your voice came out in a gurgle. You cleared your throat and tried again. "The little jellybean is gone," you whimpered but your weeping became harder after saying your baby's nickname. "The doctor said..." you couldn't finish the sentence.

Your husband pulled you to the floor and pressed your bodies together as close as possible. He rocked back and forth, holding you tightly in his arms. He was shaking too and it seemed to echo your cries.

You reached one hand up to his cheek. "Thank you for being here," you mumbled though your lips were still trembling.

"The little jellybean knew better than to come into this strange world." He kissed away the tears on your face, as if asking why he wouldn't be there to comfort you. Leaning his forehead against yours, he looked straight into your eyes. "We're going to make it through this. We are going to recover and, when you're ready,  we're going to try again, okay?"

You wondered if his frantic plea was meant to convince you or himself but all you could do was nod when you saw the tears that threatened to fall out of his own eyes.

He kissed your watery eyes shut and pulled you down on top of him. You rested your head against his chest and listened to his heartbeat, listened to the way it matched the racing beat of yours. One of his hands cradled your head, brushing through your hair, and the other wound around your waist.

You finally felt like your world wasn't going to crumble into nothing.

Your fingers clung to his shirt and your eyes closed. It was going to be okay, just like he said. "I love you," you whispered.

"I love you, honey," he replied, taking a deep breath as he your side. "And the little jellybean loves us, too."

---
 
this is shorter than most of my other scenarios but it was really sad and i got really sad and it wasn’t even a good kind of sad like wow this was really sad ;-; and i think everybody wants their hearts to break because i’ve got another sad scenario coming up which i’m a little scared to write about. i hope you liked this one though ^^