When You Want Him to Make a Move

With You and Your Bias... [indefinite hiatus]
"Dude, I've been listening to you spazz and complain about this guy for the past month. If you're not happy with how he's acting, then tell him! Why are you telling me? And if he still makes you frustrated, then leave him! There's no point in pining for his affections when he clearly doesn't reciprocate. Yeah, sure, some people develop feelings over time but you guys have been dating for a month and he hasn't done a single thing for you. Have you noticed that YOU'RE the one initiating the dates? You told me yourself that he barely even talks! Dump him before you go crazy. Trust me; this is coming from a caring friend."
 
You thought over your friend's words from last night as you hugged your knees. The movie that was playing had barely registered in your mind; you were too busy trying not to cry. Your "boyfriend" sat on the couch, probably still on his phone. Leaning your head against his leg, you thought about the dinner-movie date.
 
After last night's conversation with your best friend, you decided to invite your boyfriend over the next day to have a talk. You had been really nervous but he gave a simple answer when you asked.
 
"Sure," he had said with a shrug.
 
Then you tried to convince yourself not to read into his response but you couldn't help it. When you two had first met, he was playful and flirty and fun. He liked to be a goofball around you but now that he was your boyfriend, he acted like a stranger.
 
Of course, he would put his arm around you and maybe hold your hand at times but those only happened after a ridiculous amount of coaxing on your part. It made you feel like a clingy fangirl whose ether of life was made by his affections.
 
The worst part was that you didn't have the heart to ask him to change. You'd read from numerous magazines that boys don't want their boyfriends to change them. Besides, if this nonchalance was his character, then you would like him for him.
 
But it was really hard when you saw couples pass by, displaying all forms of affections. Voluntary forms of affection.
 
You were just about to zone out of the movie completely when a decapitated body appeared on screen. Blood sputtered from its neck as the head tumbled to the floor and you jumped from your seat on the carpet. You had to cover your mouth to keep from screaming and finally calmed down when you clung to your boyfriend's ankle.
 
Why did you choose a horror movie?
 
And why wasn't your boyfriend comforting you?
 
You stood up with a scowl on your face and brushed the crumbs off your lap. You just needed some time alone to think things over and work up some courage to speak to your boyfriend. This relationship wasn't going to go anywhere until you knew how to communicate with each other.
 
"Hey, where are you going?" Your boyfriend tugged on your wrist and made you turn around to face him.
 
You were going to tell him that you were just going to refill the popcorn bowl but that plan backfired when you noticed the bowl was still pretty full. You heaved a sigh and stared at the ceiling, not in the mood to look at him straight on. "Look, if you don't like me, could you just tell me before I make a fool of myself?"
 
"What?" he pulled you to sit next to him on the couch. "What are you talking about?"
 
"You're always acting so cold, as if you don't want me around."
 
"But I do want you around."
 
You wrung your hands desperately, trying not to get frustrated. "Then why do you act as if you couldn't care less about the relationship? Whenever I ask you to go out, I feel like I'm dragging you around and being a bother."
 
"Wait, you don't like it when I'm quiet?"
 
"It's not that you're quiet!" You bit your lip, looking for the right words. "I just...liked you better before we started dating. Right now, it's like you would rather do something else."
 
He tipped his head back and half-laughed, half-sighed. "Thank God."
 
"This isn't funny," you pouted, hoping that his sigh didn't mean he was relieved that you seemed to want to break up with him. Because you didn't.
 
"It is, in a way." He leaned in, holding you closer, and twirled a loose strand of hair as he spoke. "Before we started dating, I thought I was being bothersome. So I asked your friends for help and they said you liked the guys who were the mysterious, bad-boy type."
 
You gave him an incredulous look. "When was this?"
 
"A week before our first date, I think." He laughed again. "When you asked me out, I thought my new image had worked so I kept it up."
 
"I asked you because you didn't ask me!"
 
"I didn't ask because I thought you didn't like me," he smiled sheepishly.
 
You crossed your arms. "And you thought I would like this new side of you?"
 
"You kept arranging dates for us and you never once complained," he murmured with a shrug. "But I'm glad I don't have to act like this anymore. It's actually really hard to act like I don't care about anything."
 
"So you do like me?"
 
"Of course."
 
Your fingers tapped his hand accusingly. "Then why were you on your phone the whole time?"
 
When he laughed again, you knew he didn't mean to look disrespectful during the movie. "Your best friend was telling me about some conversation you had with her last night. Apparently, you're going to invite me over to dinner some time soon to have a talk with me?"
 
You rolled your eyes. "Did she really tell you that?"
 
"Seems like she felt it was the right time for an intervention." He pocketed his phone and leaned in. "She also told me you were sad that I haven't kissed you yet."
 
A blush erupted on your face and you faintly registered that he was laying you down on the couch. You gulped nervously and the suspense was killing you. You had waited for this moment for so long but what if it didn't live up to the hype in those dramas on TV? You wished he would just get on with it. "You can kiss me now, you know," you whispered as he hovered over you, staring at your lips.
 
His amused eyes met yours and one of his eyebrows rose up. "Really?" he asked with a playful smirk as he gave you a quick peck that wasn't nearly as satisfying as what you thought a first kiss to be. "I didn't know."
 
His lips came back down again and this time, he worked slowly. He was gentle and seemed to savour your lips, just like you were savouring his. You couldn't even think properly as he ran his fingers into your hair, holding you in place for him.
 
But suddenly a scream from the TV registered in your ears. It was loud enough you make you flinch and you balled the front of your boyfriend's shirt in your fists.
 
"Shh," he said as he lifted away to let the two of you breathe. "I'm here."
 
You were lightheaded but everything seemed better when he soothed you with kisses.
 
---
 
i'm catching up on the requests! ^^ these consecutive updates are to make up for my absence for the past few weeks. also, i'll be in exam and then party mode for the next two weeks so writing might be on hold! bear with me n__n;;
 
((pssst, lots of boys like it when girls make the first move!!))