Chapter 1

The Story of Three

 

 

I got out of the shower reluctantly, reaching for a towel to dry off. I had just gotten back from my work out and run, the weather had not been ideal, to say the least. It was October, and the weather had been unseasonably cold in Seoul, bottoming out at 6.8 degrees Celsius. I was halfway through my run when it began to rain. It wasn't a light gentle rain, no this was a cold, hard rain that stung when it hit the exposed skin. I had redoubled my pace to get home as quickly as I could, but I was still cold down to the bone, and tingling with residual pain from the rain when I finally made it to my apartment building.

 

I had walked into the apartment, had taken off not only my shoes at the door, but all my clothing as well. I left it in a cold, soggy pile in the entryway before heading straight to the welcomed warmth of the shower. I had reveled in streams of water hitting me from multiple angles. All my life I had designed my “dream bathroom” in my head and I now finally had it! It had been the best gift I had ever received, not counting, of course, my engagement/wedding ring.

 

So now I stood drying my body off and wondering if there was anything in the fridge to eat. Being alone in the apartment for the last three weeks, I hadn't been cooking much...there just wasn't any motivation to do so. I knew that we were out of fresh fruit, but other than that I couldn't remember if there were any leftovers still in the fridge. I sighed and pulled my robe on, looking longingly at the two others that still hung on the hooks. I was ready to not be the only person living in the apartment again. How I missed my men!

 

Now you may be thinking, 'Wait, what...men?' I wouldn't blame you. If you had told me five years ago when I moved to South Korea, that I would meet and fall in love with not just ONE amazing man, but TWO I would have told you that you were insane. However, that is exactly what had happened.

 

I moved to Seoul, South Korea after studying Hangul for three years, earning my TESOL, and going through an intensive translator program. I had worked in the United States, as a translator for several Korean companies. I did a myriad of things, from translating press releases, to editing stock reports, to tweaking presentations. I had enjoyed it all, but deep down I wanted to get back to what I loved best, teaching students one on one. It was right at this time that I had come across a job opening through a fellow translator that seemed to be made just for me.

 

The job was private English tutor, discretion needed. Duties to include, preparing and implementing individual lesson plans tailored to specific students needs, while on the road or at home. Must be willing to sign confidentiality agreement, and to travel overseas as needed. Travel expenses provided, as were accommodations while abroad.

 

It was perfect. I applied, went through three phone interviews, both in English and in Hangul, before being informed that they would like to meet me in person. I was thrilled. I flew to Seoul to meet with the President of the company, and was told if I passed the interview with him I would be interviewed by the agency representing my potential students. I passed the Presidential interview with flying colors, and excitedly waited for the agency interview two days later. During those two days I did all the tourist things. I hit Namsam Tower, the Palaces, the Entry Arch, the markets...I had a blast. I was amazed at how at “home” I felt in Seoul. So when the car picked me up to take me to my final interview I was ready to do what I had to to be able to stay in Seoul.

 

When the car dropped me off at the YG building, I nearly fainted. I was floored. Never had I considered that my potential students were idols. I collected myself to the best of my ability, and greeted the man who would me up to President Yang Hyun-Suk. I had considered myself a VIP for years, as well as being an Epik fan. So it was no small thing for me to be walking the halls of YG Entertainment. The President's secretary greeted me, apologizing that the President was currently in a meeting that had run long. I assured it it was fine and that it was no trouble for me to wait. I sat in the waiting area, my brain going a 100 miles per hour, and laughed at myself. I needed to calm down before I met the man who many said was “Easily the most intimidating person” they had ever met. I had just gotten to a good place in my head, with my heart rate nearing normal once again, when the inner office doors opened and several people in smart looking suits exited. The phone beside the secretary rang, she answered listened, and nodded. She hung up and stood, addressing me.

 

“Please come with me, the President is ready for you.” She came around the desk and gestured for me to follow her. She opened the doors of the inner office, waited until I went through and shut them behind me. I had heard of President Yang's love of collectables, and I was not disappointed with what was before me. The interior of the room was lined with shelf after shelf b with brightly colored toys. It made me smile. I walked to where President Yang was standing, and extended my right hand to him, placing my left hand under my right elbow, and gave my greeting and introduction with a small bow. He gave his greetings, shaking my hand briefly, before gesturing for my to take a seat in a chair adjacent to his. I sat down, and waited to hear what he had to say. He took several moments to just stare at me in silence. I admit it was unnerving, but I gathered that was it's intended purpose. I smiled and waited, refusing to give into the desire to squirm or laugh nervously. I kept eye contact with superhuman effort, I so wanted to look away, but was too stubborn to give in. After those few moments President Yang smiled, and relaxed back into his plush chair.

 

“So you have gumption, I like that. Most people can't look me in the eye like that.” He told me with a small chuckle.

 

I swallowed before answering. “Well if you had held it out another couple of seconds I might not have made it either! I must say it was not easy to do!” I admitted with a smile.

 

“OH, gumption, AND honesty! I like you! Tell me, do you follow Korean music?” His eyes penetrated me to my core. Yes this man was intimidating, to say the least.

 

“Yes, I follow K-pop and the Hallyu Wave. I will also answer the question you really asked, but didn't utter. I am an official member of the USA VIP, and I am also an EpikFan. While I enjoy 2NE1 I don't consider myself a Blackjack. Do I have a problem thinking of tutoring any of these people in English? I honestly have never considered it until now, but no, as long as my students truly want to learn I don't care who they are or what they do. I give no considerations to fame, if they don't do their work, they must deal with the consequences, same as any student. That said, I do take schedules into consideration, I would ask the student how much time they will be able to put towards study between each class and assign work accordingly. Life is fluid, you can't remain ridged and still expect good results. Does this answer the question to your satisfaction? If not, then please ask me for clarification on any point. I believe that communication can only be truly achieved when both parties feel free to express and question the other. I find that so many troubles can be resolved when those involved actually listen and clarify what the others actually means rather than just what they say. We say just as much with the words we don't use, as we do with the ones we do. Wouldn't you agree, President Yang?”

 

He sat staring at me again with what can only be described as a smirk on his face. “When Lee Kang-Min told me he had found the perfect person to be the YG English tutor, I must admit I had my reservations. However, you have quelled all of the former reservations, and I must now give credit to Lee Kang-Min-ssi. I think you will do just fine here at YG. There are several things we need to discuss...YG has a three strike rule, it applies to ALL employees. Three strikes and you are out, can you abide by this rule?” He asked, an eyebrow cocked.

 

I sat for a moment thinking. “I can, as long as the expectations for my conduct are provided for me in a clear and concise manner. I will need my duties, company rules and expectations in writing, as well as a clear process for me to bring concerns and issues to my superiors. I know that Korean business etiquette differs greatly from American, but I believe that it is not only acceptable to question the acts of a superior, but a needed check and balance system to do so. This does not mean I can disrespect a superior, but I can go to them in a respectful manner and ask for clarification on an issue if warranted. In my work as a translator for several huge Korean conglomerates I have seen some ludicrous situations occur that could have been easily prevented had subordinates been free to question their bosses. I totally understand if you do not agree to this, I know it is counter-cultural, but it is something I feel strongly about. I do not mean to sound disrespectful or rebellious, I just want to clearly communicate the way in which I operate.” I used my most formal language and gave a small head bow at the end.

 

Again, the stare in silence...it was beginning to really get to me.

 

“You are a refreshing breath of air. You are respectful while not compromising your beliefs, that is a rare thing to find. If I say that I cannot agree to this, you would politely thank me for the interview and turn the job down, would you not?”

 

“No job is worth being disrespected and devalued. I believe that every person has a voice and a valid opinion. I believe the only way to truly thrive in life, whether it be in personal matters or business, is to listen to all sides before making decisions. I welcome your thoughts and advice on how best to do my job, but in the end the decision is my own. Just as I acknowledge the ultimate decisions about this company are yours, I also hope that you listen to the ideas of those around to you grow this amazing enterprise. Everything I have ever heard about this place, indicates that you already know what I am saying...you listen and care about those under you, while at the same time you are not afraid to make the hard choices to ensure what is truly best for all involved, whether those choices are liked or not. I am eager to work within such an extraordinary environment, but not so eager as to leave my beliefs at the door. As I sit across from you here, I get the feeling that I am where I should be...just the fact that you are listening to me prattle on about this tells me you don't want to be surrounded by “yes-men” but by intelligent people who share your vision. Aish, I have gone on too long now! I admit it is my worst fault, one that I hope others will help me curb. When I get going, I tend to use ten words when only five are needed, forgive me please.” I finished up knowing I was blushing.

 

He actually laughed aloud.

 

“Are you free tomorrow at 2 p.m. to go over the contract, duties, requirements and such, then sign the need papers to start your job here with YG?” He asked, his eyes sparkling.

 

I opened my mouth to answer and nothing came out. I closed it again and cleared my throat before trying again. “I would be honored to, and thank you President Yang!” I bowed again still seated.

 

“Do you have time right now to let me give you a tour of my building and maybe meet some of my kids?” He asked.

 

“Of course!” He stood and I followed suit. We left the office and made our way over to the elevators.

 

We started on the main floor, just walking around while talking. On the second floor I was shown the room/office that would be mine. It held a desk and office chair on one side of the room, while a table with four chairs occupied the other half of the room. It was painted a perfect lovely shade of calm but still bright blue and had bamboo flooring. I already felt at home in it.

 

“Please feel free to decorate however you want. I want you to feel at home here in your space.” President Yang told me, and it was then that it hit home...I was going to be working at YG. It also occurred to me that I still didn't have a clue as to the identity of my students.

 

“Thank you. Hmmm, we never talked about who my actual students would be...” I looked at him waiting for him to answer.

 

“No, we didn't.” Was his reply as he held the door open for me, apparently ready to resume the tour. I was thrown off by this and walked out into the hallway with him, puzzled. Was he really not going to tell me who I would be teaching?

 

We made our way to the third floor, with him pointing things out and me following still slightly confused.

 

We stopped outside of a room labeled Studio A, I could hear the voices of many people inside. President Yang turned to me saying, “Now let's meet your first students.” He once again held the door open for me to proceed through.

 

I walked in and was promptly hit hard in the face with a rather large shoe. I staggered back, falling against President Yang, who reached out to steady me, while at the same time bellowing at the occupants, “Yah! What the hell are you doing!?!”

 

He turned me around to face him, “Are you alright?” He questioned.

 

I had reacted to the facial blow as anyone would, my hands had come up to cover my face. As he had turned me, I became aware that my nose was bleeding and tilted my head back. When he asked me if I was okay, I slowly lowered my left hand, keeping my right hand to my nose pinching it.

 

“I need a tissue, as my nose is bleeding.” I told him as calmly as I could while in pain. I still had no idea who was in the room or why a shoe had been thrown at me.

 

President Yang led me to a place to sit down, barking instructions to someone over his shoulder. “Yah, you, go get Hwang Ssabu-nim! You, get a towel to stop the bleeding.” A towel was quickly given to him, and he handed it to me. I pressed it against my nose, thanking him.

 

My whole face throbbed, and my nose felt like fire, it hurt so much, but I was proud that I had not let a single tear escape my eyes thought my eyes were full to the brim. I was surprised at the amount of blood coming from my nose, I had never had it bleed like this. I also had never been hit in the face with a shoe, so I was in untested waters now completely.

 

President Yang was visibly upset,and turned to those in the room saying, “I want you all on the ground doing push ups until I tell you to stop! I will listen to your explanation of what just happened after Ssabu-nim makes sure Teacher Langston is okay. Now MOVE!”

 

I had to smile in spite of my pain. My nose was not stopping nor slowing and I was starting to fret, when I heard the door open and multiple people enter. I felt someone kneel down in front of me, and heard him address the President.

 

“What happened?”

 

“She was hit in the face with a very expensive and large shoe. Her nose is bleeding pretty badly.”

The President then addressed me by name, “Sinhae-ssi, this is Hwang Ssabu, the trainer here at YG, please let him take a look at your nose.”

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, bangapseumnida Hwang Ssabu-ssi.” I greeted him rather nasally due to my nose, and he laughed.

 

“Polite even while injured. Hello to you as well, I would like you to let go of your nose and let me take the towel, do you think you can do that, for me?”

 

I grunted an affirmative answer, and let my hand drop. He stood up to look down at me, concentrating on my face. He slowly removed pressure from my nose and took the towel away, the blood began to run down my face immediately. He repositioned the towel at my nostril being careful not to put pressure against my nose, he was simply letting the towel absorb the blood.

 

“It looks like the nose is broken, and you are going to have one heck of a black eye on the left side.” He continued he examination, gentle probing my cheekbones and eye sockets asking me questions as he went before he made his final conclusions. Halfway through he asked for a new towel as the first had become saturated.

 

“Yup, broken nose but I don't think anything else is broken. Still, we should head to the hospital, for them to get the bleeding stopped, straighten out the nose, and take x-rays.” He turned to partial face behind him and asked, “Who threw the shoe?”

 

“I haven't ask them for an explanation yet, I wanted to make sure Teacher Langston was okay before dealing with this group of idiots!” The President was still pissed. “I called for a van, it is waiting to take you both to the ER.”

 

President Yang then asked me, “Sinhae-ssi are you okay with going to the hospital with Hwang Ssabu, and Secretary Lee?”

 

I nodded slightly, stopping when it made my head swim, a small groan escaping against my best efforts.

 

Hwang Ssabu turned back to me and said, “Okay, let's go get you fixed up.”

 

I began to stand up, stopping midway when my head went wonky and my vision began to grey, “I think this is bad...” I said as the world went from grey to black.

 

I came to on the floor. Hwang Ssabu was hovering over me holding a vile smelling substance under my still bleeding nose. He smiled sadly at me when I pushed his hand away.

 

“Sorry about that, but I had to get you back to your senses.”

 

“Sorry.” I said quietly. “I didn't mean to do that.”

 

He grinned at that, “Of course you didn't, but you have lost a significant amount of blood and are still losing it, so I think the easiest option at this point is just to carry you to the van. We have already called ahead to have them prepare the room for you.”

 

“Shouldn't we go to the hospital rather than my hotel?” I asked groggily.

 

“Yes, we are, but YG has a private room at the nearest hospital. It is standard. So if you have no objections, I will take you out to the van now.”

 

I nodded vaguely. He picked me up, and we exited the room, whose occupants were, to my knowledge still unknown and still presumably doing push-ups.

 

 

Two days later, I returned to the YG building. I was there to go over the contract, accept the job, and sign the needed paperwork. After that was completed the President had requested that I go up and see him, and so I found myself sitting in his waiting area for the second time that week. I had a bandage splint thing on my nose and my left eye was swollen and, just as Hwang Ssabunim predicted, I had an amazing shiner!

 

He came out, and greeted me warmly, asking how I felt.

 

I assured him I would survive, and no long lasting effects would be felt. To which he replied, “Well no long lasting effects will be felt by YOU...”

 

I looked at him quizzically, but he ushered me through the door and to the elevators. We made our way once again to the third floor, and to Studio A. He opened the door a crack and call out, “We are coming in, put all shoes down and straighten up!” While his words were playful is tone was stone cold.

 

He entered the room first, and I followed, not sure of what I would find inside. He stepped to the side and back slightly so that he stood beside me, and I could fully see the room for the first time.

 

It was a dance studio, a practice room...no, not a practice room...the practice room. I recognized it instantly. This was BIGBANG's practice room. I had watched countless videos on YouTube in this room, and now I was standing in it. Standing in front of me were, not only BIGBANG themselves, but their amazing backup dancers from CRAZY and HITECH as well. My shock lasted a good five seconds, before I turned to President Yang while pointing at the group in front of us, “Wait! It was THEM?! BIGBANG threw a shoe at me?” I wanted to sink into the floor after hearing what I had just said...talk about embarrassing!

 

He nodded to me and turned to those facing us. “Well, not ALL of them.” He said pointedly.

 

I turned back to the assembly in front of me as three people stepped forward. Choi Seung-hyun (aka T.O.P), Kang Daesung, and a dancer I recognized but didn't know his name, stepped forward, heads bowed.

 

“We are sorry, please forgive us.” they said and got down on their knees and bowed, touching their foreheads to the floor.

 

“Oh, please, get up!” I exclaimed, “I know it wasn't intentional, or at least I am going to assume that!” I told them with a grin, then flinched when the grin caused pain to flash across my healing nose.

 

All three men noticed the flinch and their faces reflected how bad they felt.

 

I took a small step forward, “I am going to choose to ignore what happened and start anew. Annyeonghaseyo! My name is Sinhae Langston, it is a pleasure to meet you all for the first time!” I switched over to English and said, “I will be the English tutor for...well I don't actually know, who...that was going to be told to me before the unfortunate incident occurred.” I turned to President Yang, switching back to Hangul, “So are you going to spill it, and tell me who exactly my student or students will be, or are you going to conveniently side-stepped that question yet again, President?” I asked playfully.

 

I heard some nervous twitters behind me, but was confused as to why, but then President Yang began speaking and I thought nothing more of it.

 

“Two of your students will be from BIGBANG. Choi Seung-Hyun, and Lee Seung-Ri will start lessons as soon as you have completed your move at the end of next month. Other students will include Minzy from 2NE1, five more trainees and two of my upper level managers. That is to start with and see how we can juggle all of the students schedules, we may rearrange things as we learn how it best works.”

 

I nodded to President Yang before turning back to the group, “Well, I have the two Seung-Hyun-ssis! This is going to be an experience! I look forward to working with each you. I know you will work hard, and I will do the same.” I bowed slightly to each of my new students.

 

President Yang stepped up beside me and called out, “Boys, come over here and properly introduce yourselves to Sinhae-nim.” The five members of BIGBANG came over obediently and introduced themselves one by one. After they were done the President Yang continued, “Sinhae-nim will also be in charge of checking over the English of all song lyrics before recording occurs, so Ji-Yong-a you will be working with her in that aspect.”

 

“I look forward to that,” Kwon Jiyong began in English, “I am always looking for another English brain to pick!” He grinned and I couldn't have stopped myself from returning the grin had my life depended on it. Unfortunately, that again caused pain to lance through my nose, causing my hand to come up involuntarily and another flinch to flash across my face. Choi Seung-Hyun, groaned aloud saying, “I am so sorry, Seonsaengnim. I threw the shoe at Daesung-a, but he ducked just as you walked in, and well, it hit you.” He stared at the floor when he finished, looking thoroughly miserable.

 

I reached out to briefly touch his arm gently, “Hey, now! That is enough of that, it was a freak accident. I hold no grudges, and I place no blame on any of you...truly, I will heal and you will never even know it happened. BUT, anytime you feel like not doing your best on work I give you or slacking on your English, you remember how this nose and eye looks right now, ara?!” I said hoping it would help lift the tension.

 

It worked, he looked up at me and I even got a little bit of a smile, “Ne, Seonsaengnim!”

 

And that is how I met the two loves of my life, I just didn't know they were the loves of my life yet!