Chapter 12: Pre-Trial Jitters

Redemption

Chapter 12: Pre-Trial Jitters

Jessica’s POV

I spent the whole night tossing and turning. Me, the one who usually sleeps like a log couldn’t sleep at all! It was so bad that Yuri even went next door to ask Tiffany and Seohyun if she could sleep there. Every time I started to doze off, my brain would start thinking about this stupid trial. Once I noticed it was 7:00 am I knew I was never going to get any sleep so, I decided to get dressed. Then I went out to the kitchen for some food. To my surprise, baby Jung was already making breakfast for all of us again.

With his back turned to me, he said, “Morning.”

I let out a small yawn as I sat in my chair. “Morning baby Jung. What’s for breakfast today?”

At the sound of my voice, he turned around quick as lighting. His face had shock written all over it. “Jess, you’re actually awake?! Whoa!”

I rolled my eyes at him. “Yeah yeah, I’m awake. No big deal.”

At first he was serious, but after a few minutes he started laughing uncontrollably. “No big deal? Considering that I once had to wake you up by pouring cold water all over you, this is a huge deal!”  

This time, I glared at him. “Yah, be quiet, I’m hungry here! /pouts/.”

He then shoved a bowl full of oatmeal in front of me. His face wore a playful grin, but he was no longer laughing. “It’s maple flavored oatmeal. It’s easy to make and easy to hold down. If you know what I mean.”

I raised an eyebrow at him once he turned away putting oatmeal in bowls for the others. I guess I’m not the only one who is nervous about today.

Just then everyone started to wake up and they were all was completely shocked that I was the first person awake. Believe me if I had it my way, I wouldn’t have been.

After the nice breakfast baby Jung made, everyone else started to get dressed. Krystal and I helped baby Jung into his suit. “Do you need noona to tie your tie for you?”

He scoffed playfully at us and started tying it himself. “Oh have yee little faith. I can do it by myself.”

Krystal and I looked at each other and started laughing, which made baby Jung start laughing and before we knew it, it was time to head over to the courthouse. On the drive over, I got lost in my thoughts.  

Why am I so nervous? It’s obvious that he’s been abused. This trial should be Swiss cheese. But what if something happens that I didn’t foresee? What if the judge deems me unfit to take care of Krystal and baby Jung? What if my parents weaseled their way out of the trial? After this mess with Andrew, my parents have proven that they are capable of anything. Aish, stop thinking things like this, everything will be fine.

I was brought back to reality when Krystal screamed in my ear. “Yo, earth to unnie!”

I jumped literally a foot from my seat and hit my head on the ceiling of the car. “Yah! Jung Soojung, what the hell did you do that for?!” I yelled as I rubbed my head.

Krystal rolled her eyes at me and said in a sarcastic tone, “Unnie, we’re already at the courthouse! Did you plan on sitting in the car the entire time?” 

I gently pushed Krystal backward, signaling her to get out of the car as I got out myself. “Of course not. I’m just a bit nervous here.”

Krystal gave me a small smile. “Unnie, don’t worry. With all the evidence collected, everything will go perfectly.”

I took Krystal’s hand and walked over to the courthouse with her. Baby Jung was of course already waiting there for us with Yunho and BoA. “Sorry baby Jung, the nerves are starting to come out.”

He shook his head. “Nothing to apologize for; I’m feeling them too. Something doesn’t feel right.”

I took ahold of baby Jung’s hand. “Don’t think like that baby Jung. Keep things positive, arraso?”

He nodded. “I’ll try.”

I smiled. “Good. Now, let’s get going before we’re late.”

Fast forward to the start of the trial

A tough looking bailiff stood in front of the court. “All rise for the honorable judge Lee. /the judge walks in and slowly sits down/ You many now be seated.”

We all sat down as the judge started to talk. “Today we are here to discover who shall have the rightful custody of Jung Soojung and Jung Seunghyun. As well as, discussing the charges against the accused for endangering the welfare of a minor and child abuse. The plaintiff may now call its first witness. ” 

Topanga Matthews (our lawyer) nodded and stepped forward. “Thank you your honor. We would like to call Jessica Jung to the stand.”

I gulped and stood up, making my way over to the stand. Well, here goes nothing. 

~Author's Note: Sorry, I know this chapter is super short, but I plan to focus one chapter on each testimony that way it's not a massive chapter filled with everyone's feelings. Comments and subscriptions are greatly appreciated! Please let me know how you feel about the idea of one chapter per testimony. If you love it, hate it, have any suggestions for it, etc. Thank you for the continued growth of this story!