The New Boarder

And What About Tinkerbell?

Yong Hwa's parents agreed to Jong Hyun's plan.

In effect, when Shin Hye came back to Korea, she entered the mansion as another boarder. She decided to stay in Korea for a year for some personal reasons, which was why she had to put off internship for another year. But because of Jong Hyun's news, she thought that she really had another reason to stay.

Finally, the two other borders, Jong Hyun and Min Hyuk, accompanied Shin Hye to her previous rooms. The other two guys transferred from the elite rooms upstairs down to the lower rooms where the other boarders used to occupy. And no other boarders occupied the upper halls but Yong Hwa. And since Shin Hye will be back to her old room, it meant that only she and Yong Hwa occupied the second floor.

Jong Hyun did it on purpose, feeling guilty for keeping the secret from Shin Hye, and he wanted to make it up to her.

"Gomawo," Shin Hye said to the two guys, fighting back her tears.

"Mianhae, Shin Hye-ya," Min Hyuk said to her. "Because it was also our fault, just cry if you have to."

Shin Hye could not stop the tears from falling, so she wrapped her arms around Min Hyuk's waist and sobbed. The chinky-eyed guy placed his arms around her, and Jong Hyun knelt down to hug Shin Hye as well. The three spent some hours shedding tears together.

****

Finally, Yong Hwa came in the house with Seohyun, who accompanied him. Shin Hye was about to come down with Hyukkie, but when she saw the girl with Yong, hatred flared up in her heart again. Why does that Seohyun have to be here, she thought bitterly. Min Hyuk saw her hiding behind the wall, and Shin Hye shook her head. She did not want to go down, so Hyukkie had to lie for her.

"Hyung! Annyeong?" Jong Hyun greeted merrily.

"Is she already here?" Yong Hwa asked with an expectant voice.

Min Hyuk suddenly realized why Shin Hye hid when he saw Seohyun's expression. The other girl did not seem to like that Yong Hwa was looking for the other girl.

"Ne, Hyung," Jong Hyun told his hyung as he turned around to point at Shin Hye. "Where is she?"

"She... got back to her room," Min Hyuk lied. "She had a splitting headache."

Jong Hyun did not know what got into Min Hyuk, but he just kept his mouth shut.

"I guess I should not bother the new boarder, then," Yong Hwa sighed.

"Oppa, you better rest now, ara?" Seohyun told Yong Hwa while clinging to his arms.

"Ne..."

The other two guys looked at the two getting up the stairs and into Yong Hwa's room. Jong Hyun looked at Min Hyuk, who looked back at his hyung.

"Is Shin Hye really sick?" Jong Hyun asked. "She was fine when we got out..."

"Have you noticed Seohyun's expression, Hyung?" Min Hyuk asked. "She seemed displeased that Yong Hwa-hyung was looking for Shin Hye."

Jong Hyun tapped his lips and thought. 

"Could it be that Seohyun-ah is jealous of Shin Hye-ya?" Jong Hyun thought. "I always thought that it was Shin Hye overtly jealous at Seohyun-ah."

"Ah, so you noticed it too?" Min Hyuk asked.

Jong Hyun nodded and shared that Jung Shin also noticed the same thing.

"Aish, two girls for a guy," Min Hyuk lamented. "I do not know who to choose."

"Na do," Jong Hyun said. "Though I honestly preferred Shin Hye more for Hyung."

After talking a bit, Seohyun got out of the room, descended the stairs, and smiled at the two guys.

"So, where is Shin Hye?" she asked.

Jong Hyun had a bad feeling to it because he knew that Seohyun might have something up her sleeves, so he said to her again.

"She's in her room, remember?"

"Oh...mianhae," Seohyun said in her saccharine way. "I forgot."

As Seohyun bid them goodbye, the two ascended the stairs and went inside Yong Hwa's room. Later, he instructed Min Hyuk to call Shin Hye and let her proceed to the study where his Uncle Kang Joh used to stay.

****

Shin Hye breathed deeply as she got inside the room. She had been thinking of this for days ever since Jong Hyun told her the truth about Yong Hwa. If nobody told her bestie about her, she will bring matters to her own hands and tell Yong Hwa the truth about her.

"Come in," Yong Hwa said from inside the room as Shin Hye knocked.

Shin Hye opened the door calmly though her hand was shaking. As she got in, she saw her beloved best friend sitting by the head of the table, expecting for her. Yong Hwa had a beautiful smile on his face, but it was like shards of glass being smeared to her heart. That smile...that smile hurt her a lot for the reason that Yong Hwa never looked back at her in the past, and for the reason that he might never remember her again.

"Anjeuseyo (Please sit down)," he said to her amiably.

Shin Hye sat on the chair to his left, and Yong Hwa smiled to her again.

"So, you are the new boarder?" he asked.

"N...ne," she said gently.

It was a burden that she had to introduce herself to her bestfriend who had forgotten her. Fighting back her tears, she swallowed her saliva and her pride, and replied.

"P...Park Shin Hye-yeyo," she said. "Bangawoyo."

"Ne, bangapseumnida," Yong Hwa said. "Jung Yong Hwa-yeyo. I am pretty sure that Jong Hyun and Min Hyuk had toured you around the house."

"N....ne...."

Yong Hwa noticed that Shin Hye was fidgetting, so he assured her and told her to calm down. It was a bit too much to be hiding a secret, but Shin Hye bore it courageously. At this point, she was torn between her obsession to make herself known, and her agreement with the Jung couple and her friends.

"Hyukkie said that you came all the way from Hong Kong," Yong Hwa said. "Shin Hye-ssi must have some important things to do here."

"N...ne. I put off internship because I wanted to do something here first," she said. "For a year."

The one thing she had wanted to do was to rejoin with Yong Hwa, but because of what Jong Hyun had told her, her plan might prove difficult after all.

"A, geuraeyo?"

"Ne... Chingureul mannago shipseumnida (I want to meet a friend)," she explained.

"Ah, I wish you luck in meeting with her," Yong Hwa assumed.

"Aniyo... nae chinguga namjayeyo (My friend is a guy)," she said.

"Omo... joesonghaeyo. I thought your friend is a girl," Yong Hwa said with an uncertain laugh.

"Please... please speak informally to me," Shin Hye begged.

Yong Hwa was surprised because the boarder wanted him to speak to her in banmal even though they had just met. He granted her request.

They talked about blood types, birthdates, and hobbies.

"G....geurae? Jong Hyun said I came from that school too, though I can barely remember," he said. "Ani... I cannot remember at all."

Tears were about to fall from Shin Hye's eyes, but she held them back.

"Jinjja? Not being able to remember is just so hard and sad, geureohchi?"

"Ne, matda," Yong Hwa said. 

Then, he began to relate what Min Hyuk and the rest told him about his condition--that he had memory lapses from time to time.

"It took me a year to remember Jong Hyun, who was considered to be my guy best friend," Yong Hwa said. "My memory is getting steady, though, and I can remember recent things."

"Do you... happen to remember things at the past?" Shin Hye asked.

Yong Hwa smiled sadly.

"Unfortunately, only a few pieces of them," he said. "Including a girl who held my hand in a dark room."

Shin Hye thought she heard her heart break. Seohyun must be that girl, she thought sadly.

"I know it is not Seohyunie," Yong Hwa said. "I felt that girl's skin onto my hand that instance... but I cannot remember who that was."

Soon, Shin Hye realized that it was she that Yong Hwa was talking about. It was at the secret entrance when she led him out so the two of them can get to the CSAT venue.

"Do...do you have another best friend aside from Jong Hyun?" Shin Hye asked hopefully.

"Min Hyuk... and Jung Shin," Yong Hwa said. 

Shin Hye was crestfallen. She thought Yong Hwa had remembered her.

"Any female friends?"

"Ah, Seohyun, my bestfriend," Yong Hwa told her.

Shin Hye felt betrayed. How come Seohyun was taking away her place as Yong Hwa's bestfriend? Seohyun had no right to do that, however history might turn out. It was not fair!

"Shin Hye?" Yong Hwa asked her in concern as his new boarder spaced out.

"Mianhae...mian...." Shin Hye broke down as she stood up.

"Jamkkanman," Yong Hwa told her as he prevented her to leave. "Gwaenchanha?"

"N...ne..." she lied before getting her hand off his grip.

"Had I said something wrong?" he asked her in concern.

Shin Hye surrendered as she turned back to him. She leaned forward and wrapped her arms around him tight, letting fresh batch of tears soak down his shirt.

"Ya, gwaenchanha?" Yong Hwa asked again.

Shin Hye got a bit heavy, so the two of them fell on the floor, with Shin Hye on top of him. Yong Hwa was not able to move as Shin Hye hid her face on his chest, and he allowed her to cry for whatever might have bothered her. Thinking that what he might do might ease the pain, he wrapped his arms around her and rubbed her back. And he did not say anything, just letting Shin Hye cry on top of him.

 

Yong Hwa's POV

Shin Hye... was there something that I said to make you cry? Why are you crying?

 

Shin Hye's POV

Yong Hwa... your face, your smile... everything about you... now that I am here, why can't you remember me? I've forgone my internship to be with you, to spend time with you... and now, I have to pick the pieces and get to you. Everything about you now hurts me, and it's killing me. Please remember me...

Bogo shipeo...

~~~~