Chapter 8

Complicated Fairytales

CHAPTER 8

 

 

“Kai!”

 

Kai, who was already lying in the ground while a man, whose body is twice his body, hovered on top of him while beating the hell out of him, smirked at the familiar voice who called him. He then pushed the man with the remaining strength he had and successfully made himself free from the grip of the man.

 

He stood up, still wobbly but ignored the fact and kicked the man in his chest. The man fell down and when he was about to stand up, Kai rushed towards him and elbowed his head which made the man unconscious.

 

The crowd surrounding them cheered. He raised his hand victoriously as the crowd cheered louder and threw money to him for the entertainment he has shown them.

 

Suddenly, someone grabbed Kai’s hand and dragged him out of the crowd.

 

“What’s wrong, Taemin?”, Kai asked his best friend as soon as they were far from the crowd.

 

Taemin heaved a sigh as he looked at the face of his best friend which was beaten up badly by the man earlier. “It’s Suji.” Kai’s face suddenly became serious once he heard his sister’s name.

 

“What about Suji?”

 

“Well, remember the man from the palace who asked for your service?” Taemin said with mixed emotions hinted in the tone of his voice.

 

“Yeah, I rejected his offer. Who would want to work for that evil queen?” Kai said as he was about to leave Taemin. “I’m taking Suji with me now. Thanks-“

 

“I suggest you take the service they want you to do.” Taemin saw Kai stopped his tracks as he finished what he said.

 

“What are you implying here, Lee Tae Min?”, Kai raised his tone of voice as he was beginning to get impatient.

 

“They took Suji, Kai.”

 

Kai felt his body numb that he can’t even feel the pain of the bruises and wounds he got from the fight he had earlier. The only thing he could feel right now is his heart which feels like it was being torn into pieces.

 

They took away the only family Kai had.

 

 

********

 

 

Yi Fan smiled at the presence he felt. He had his eyes close as he waited for a certain someone.

 

“I thought you said before that-“, his words were cut when he opened his eyes and saw someone he didn’t expect. “Oh, it’s you. I’m sorry. I thought you were Yoona.” Yi Fan apologized.

 

“I’m sorry if I suddenly appeared, Prince Yi Fan.”, Joohyun apologized as she bows in respect.

 

Yi Fan gestured her to take a seat next to him. “Don’t worry. You’re not disturbing me.”

 

Joohyun sat beside him and somehow she felt comfortable and she didn’t felt scared of him. Being with the young prince everyday made her feel comfortable and somehow she pities the young prince for the judgments and opinions of other people who don’t know the real him. She suddenly heard him said something while gazing at the sky.

 

“Are you scared of me, Joohyun?” The girl was a bit startled by his sudden question.

 

Yi Fan waited for her answer and for a moment he thought that her answer might break only break his heart. He would rather not hear her answer than knowing what kind of monster he is in her opinion. He was about to tell her not to answer any more when he heard Joohyun.

 

“I don’t think there’s something to be scared about you, Prince Yi Fan.”, Joohyun answered with a soft smile plastered on her face.

 

She thought for her answer and somehow realize that if she was scared of him then why wouldn’t she feel intimidated by him and why wouldn’t she feel frightened whenever she’s alone with him just like how she feels today. The answer she could only think is that there’s no reason for her to be scared of him when he does nothing but show kindness towards her.

 

Yi Fan glanced at Joohyun for a moment before looking at the sight before them. Her answer still hasn’t processed yet on his system.“Why not? Many people are scared of me even the servants. The only person who thinks differently is-“

 

“Princess Yoona.”, Joohyun finished Yi Fan’s sentence for she somehow felt that she’s able to read his thoughts.

 

“Humans always tend to judge others by just looking at their physical appearance. We are the only living creatures who are capable of judging one another but somehow humans are divided also into two kinds. The first one is those are blinded by their ego and criticizes anyone with his mistakes and flaws. The last one is those who see beyond the face and flaws of a person.” Joohyun paused for a moment and heaved a sigh before continuing. “I guess, Princess Yoona and I are one of those people who belong to the second kind of humans."

 

She then looked at the sky. “I don’t think there’s enough reason for me to be afraid of you, Prince Yi Fan. But if you want to, you should try harder.”, Joohyun said with a smile.

 

Yi Fan somehow thinks that Joohyun has the similar way of thinking like his stepsister. Maybe, that’s why I felt something special towards her the moment Yoona introduced her to me. He thought and looked at Joohyun.

 

“Joohyun.”

 

Joohyun turn to the prince as she heard him called her name and before she could mutter something she was caught off-guard by what the prince said.

 

“Thank you.” Yi Fan said before leaving the girl.

 

He had a smile plastered on his face while walking away. Somehow he felt special and understood. He was thankful that there is another person who could truly understand him well. He continues with his pace and headed towards at where his sister is.

 

On the other hand, Joohyun, who was still in the process of absorbing what the prince just said, smile unconsciously. She looked at the sky and muttered something.

 

“The palace is not that dangerous after all, father.” Joohyun closed her eyes not realizing how a simple thank you made her heart skip a beat.

 

 

********

 

 

“Why do you have to do that?!”

 

Minho burst out as soon as his eyes landed on his father. He was informed about the invitations sent to almost all the maidens, not only in their kingdom but also in Verdana and Azure. He was really frustrated when he learned what his father ordered.It was his birthday for goodness’ sake but it became like a match making celebration because of what his father did.

 

The servants all went out as the king’s order was to leave the two of them and once the two were all alone, the king stood up from his throne.

 

“I’m doing this for your good. You need to look for a wife, Minho. You’re the crown prince and it’s just a matter of time when you will need to replace me as the king.”, the king explained with a calm tone.

 

He never did like raising his tone neither to his son nor wife. “My time here is slowly fading, son, and I don’t want to leave you knowing that I did not perform my duties as a father, as your father.”

 

Minho sighed and lowered his head as a sign of depression. “Father, don’t talk like that.”, he muttered softly without the hint of frustration and disappointment.

 

He suddenly felt like he was back to the time when he was still so clingy and attached to his father, the time when he was just a small child running around the hall and playing with his father.

 

“Well, son, we cannot avoid bringing up that topic.”, the king said as he placed his hands on Minho’s shoulder as the young man faces him. “A life of a human is not constant, son, but the things you have done while you were still living are the ones that will make your memories remembered and alive.”

 

“Father, I’m sorry, for being such a messed up son, for being such a stubborn child. I’m sorry.”, Minho mumbled as his father enveloped the son in his arms.

 

“I love you, son.”

 

It was not something he could promise but at that moment, Minho told himself that he would do everything just to make his father proud of him. He will be like him, a great king, a just ruler and an exceptional father. I love you, too, father.

 

 

********

 

 

 “Yuri-unnie”

 

Yuri heard a familiar voice called her name. She bowed in respect as soon as she saw the person.

 

Yoona did the same with a smile on her face as she was looking for the girl earlier. She felt as if she not paying attention to her new friend for a long time and thought that Yuri may have been feeling uncomfortable being with her now.

 

“Princess Yoona, may I help you?”, Yuri asked politely.

 

Yoona pouted. “Unnie, I told you not to address me as princess whenever it’s not necessary, remember?”, she reminded Yuri.

 

“I forgot, Yoona. I’m sorry.”

 

“You don’t have to.”, Yoona smiled at her and then notice the rag Yuri’s holding. “Are you cleaning my room?”

 

Yuri nods in reply as she continued to wipe the mirror just beside her.

 

“Need help?”, Yoona asked as she went closer to Yuri.

 

Yuri looked up and saw Yoona beside her. “Yoona, this is my job. I can manage.”, she answered with an assuring smile.

 

“Okay, I’ll just accompany you here.”, Yoona said as she sat down on her bed. The two were enveloped in a comfortable silence when suddenly Yuri remembered something. She took something from the pocket of her clothes and then turned to face the princess.

 

“Yoona, Ms. Taeyeon gave this to me but I don’t think it is necessary for me to have this. Here, take it.”, Yuri said as she handed Yoona the invitation for Prince Minho’s birthday.

 

Yoona glanced at what Yuri’s holding. She held Yuri’s hand and clenched it. She pushed Yuri’s hand gently and smiled at her. “You can have it. You can go there instead.”, she suggested.

 

“B-but Yoona, you’re the princess. The people in Roho must be excited to finally see the princess of Azure.”, Yuri said with persistent in her voice. “It’s not right for me to go there in place of you. I-I’m”, she paused as she heaved a deep sigh.

 

“I’m just a servant.”, she mumbled softly but audible enough for Yoona to hear.

 

Yoona stood up and clasps Yuri’s hands. “Unnie, look at me.”, she instructed as the older girl obliged. “You’re not just a servant. You are someone and don’t let anyone looked down on you.”, she said. “You’re Kwon Yuri and you’re nothing but a special girl.”

 

 

“B-but, Yoona, it’s just..”

 

Yuri was doubting whether to tell Yoona what she really thinks. “I am nothing compared to you and once they found out that I’m just your servant they would probably not let me enter the palace.”

 

Yoona then thought of it also but then an idea struck in her mind. “Well, pretend to be me. When they ask you who you are, tell them you’re the princess, tell them you’re Princess Yoona.”, she said with a smile in her face.

 

“What? I will pretend to be you?”, Yuri asked. She didn’t know if she’s imagining things or Yoona really said that. Yoona nods her head excitedly as if trying to be a cupid for Yuri.

 

“Yes. I’ve never been to Roho before so no one will suspect that you’re not really me. And for the record, Prince Minho’s party is a masquerade party.”, she encouraged Yuri.

 

“And then, the prince will meet you and he will ask you to dance.”, Yoona paused for a moment and twirl Yuri around as if the two of them were dancing. Yuri giggled softly at the childishness of the young princess. “And he will fall in love with you and you will also fall for him.”, she paused and held Yuri’s hands tight and smiled at her dreamily.

 

“And the two of you will live happily ever after.”, Yoona ended dreamily just like what she always ends in the stories she often tells to Luhan. And the thought of Luhan made her quite gloomy.

 

Yuri closed her eyes, imagining what Yoona said when suddenly, she saw Yoona’s face turn somehow gloomy as soon as she opens her eyes.

 

“Is there something wrong, Yoona?”, she asked, concerned at the sudden change of mood of the princess.

 

She placed her arm around Yoona’s shoulder to comfort the young princess and felt that the princess was crying. Yoona sniffed which was heard by Yuri. “Yoona?”

 

Yoona wiped her tears away as soon as she heard Yuri’s voice. “It’s nothing, unnie. I just-“, she paused as form of tears are starting to blur her eyes again. “I just missed Luhan.”

 

I think she already have a certain someone in her heart.

 

Well, when the heart decides, no one can question it anymore.

 

And at that moment, Yuri finally realized what Sooyoung and Taeyeon want to say about the princess, that moment, she finally learned who this person whom the young princess fell for is, the reason why the young princess cannot attend Prince Minho’s party, the person inside the princess’ heart.

 

It is none other than Luhan, prince of Verdana.

 

 

 

 

********

 

 

 

~ Sorry if I just updated now. I'm somehow becoming lazy nowadays, maybe because it's summer vacation and all I tend to do is sleep. But, HAKUNA MATATA, I'm going to update as soon as possible. SmileLoveEnjoy, everyone. <3

Kai :)