Chapter 2

Complicated Fairytales

CHAPTER 2

 

Luhan and Yoona is at the garden sitting under the shade of a tree. Luhan listens as Yoona told him stories that her mother used to tell her before as bedtime stories. She tells her about dragons, knights and a princess being saved by her prince.

 

“And they lived happily ever after.”, she ended her story and turned to Luhan. “Did you like the story, Luhan?”, she asked her happily.

 

Luhan smiled and nodded his head in reply He really didn’t like the story. He’s not fond of bedtime stories and fairytales because it always ends happily. If only life is like that, maybe his mother wouldn’t die and they would live happily ever after, as Yoona always says. But the fact that he wants to make Yoona smile made him lie to her. She is very innocent maybe because they’re still young but not him.

 

He already saw how cruel the world can be. He saw how a person is being executed at such young age. He saw how his own mother died because of illness and he can’t do anything to prevent it.

 

“Really? I like it, too. My mother told me that I would someday meet my prince and we will live happily ever after, just like the story.”, she explained enthusiastically.

 

Luhan smiled. He will be her prince and they will live happily ever after. Luhan looked at Yoona in bewilderment that suddenly stood up and started to walk away from him.

 

“Where are you going, Yoong?”, he asked her as he followed her.

 

Then, he saw the reason why she walked away. She went to sit beside her stepbrother whose appearance is not normal for any human being. He is the new queen’s son and his name is Yi Fan. Luhan went beside Yoona and listens to her.

 

“Why are you alone, Yi Fan?”, Yoona asked as she held Kris left hand.

 

Yi Fan looked at her. “Aren’t you scared of me?”, he asked with eyes full of sadness.

 

Yoona smiled at him sweetly. “Why would I? You’re my brother, right?”, she questioned him.

 

“Well, everyone’s scared of me because of my appearance. Also, I’m not your real brother. I’m just your stepbrother.”, he reasoned out.

 

Yoona pouted. “Not because they’re scared of you does not mean that I should, too. You’re a kind person and I know it. You won’t hurt anyone, right?”, Yoona fought back.

 

Yi Fan smiled. “Yes. I won’t hurt anyone especially you.”, he assured her.

 

Luhan, who was listening all the time smiled at Yoona.

 

*******

 

It was late in the evening when Yuri finished the chores. She lay in her small bed and closed her eyes. She remembers the time when her mother would comb her long hair and would tell her stories about her parents’ love story. She would always think back then that she would someday find a guy who is like her father, someone who will treat her well and will love her with all his heart.

 

She sighed. Maybe someday all her dreams would come true. She would make it come true. She would do anything just to get out from this hell. It would just be a matter of time. For now, she would endure every hard works her stepfamily is giving her.

 

She stood up and went to freshen up. When she was about to enter the bathroom she saw something. A kitten? She thought. How could a cat enter their house? She looked around and saw the kitchen window open. She sighed. Maybe someone forgot to close the window. She closed the window and went to carry the kitten. She smiled at the kitten and went inside her room. She put the kitten on the floor and went back to the kitchen to get some milk. She placed the little bowl of milk in front the kitten. She smiled when the kitten drank the milk. She sat on the floor and watched the kitten drank the milk.

 

She sighed. She would keep the kitten. It would be her only friend for now. But the fact that she already had a friend made her smile. She caressed the kitten’s back gently. The kitten went to her and lie on her lap. She smiled and continues to caress the kitten. “Thank you.”, she mumbled. Thank you for staying with me. She thought.

 

That night is different for Yuri because she now has someone whom she can talk to. Even if it’s only a kitten, it is important for her because now, she’s not alone anymore.

 

*******

 

“No! I won’t let you?!”, Joohyun’s weak father yelled.

 

She told him that she wants to work at the palace in his place. But her father became frustrated at her decision. She knows the reason why. She knows that her father won’t allow her but she still insists.

 

“But, father. You would lose your job at the palace if no one would work there in your place. The queen will fire you and hire another one.”, she reasoned out. His father sighed in frustration.

 

“Do you know what my job there? It’s difficult. It’s-.”, he paused and Joohyun waited patiently for his father to continue. “It’s dangerous, Joohyun.”, he finished with a lower voice.

 

Joohyun held her father’s hand and smiled at him. “You’re getting old and weak, father. Please let me take care of you. I can handle the job you left at the palace. Trust me.”, she assured her father.

 

His father looked at her with worried eyes. “I can’t. You’re only 14 for goodness’ sake. I can’t let you work at the palace at such young age. I just can’t, Joohyun. Please, listen to me. I still can work and my fever’s gone now.”, he said with a pleading tone.

 

He looked at his daughter with eyes full of care and love. Joohyun sighed and nod in reply. She felt his father hug her tight. She smiled weakly as she hugs him back. She knows that no matter how determined she is, her father still has the last say.

 

“I love you, Joohyun. You’re my only daughter and I won’t let any danger near you.”, her father muttered lovingly.

 

“I’m sorry for being stubborn, father. I’m sorry.”, she mumbled but still, her father heard her. Her father smiled. He doesn’t regret adopting her. She’s the only treasure he has. She’s his little angel.

 

******

 

 

 

I've updated for the second time this day because I'm going to be busy this week. We'll have our final exams that's why I don't think I will be able to update sooner. But, I will really try to update as soon as possible. SmileLoveEnjoy. :)

~ Kai