Chapter 4

Complicated Fairytales

CHAPTER 4

 

 

Each passing days, the beauty of the princess grew and everyone in the kingdom adores her. She is often times the talk of the town; how beautiful she is, how kind she is and how brave she is to remain at the queen’s side. What the people don’t know is behind her beautiful face and a contagious smile is a soul who is yearning for a mother’s hug and a father’s security. She thought that she can move on but it was only when Luhan was still in the palace.

 

Ever since the day Luhan came back to Verdana, Yoona became gloomy again. She would attend parties held inside the palace, greet every person she passed by with a smile and show how she became stronger after her parents’ death but once she’s inside her room, she would cry and call her parents’ name every night. She would have nightmares about their deaths, wars etc.

 

Every time she’s alone she would miss Luhan’s company. She would miss the way he would let her rests her head on his shoulder, the way he would caress her hair gently and the way he would kiss her forehead to assure her that everything would be fine.

 

She sighed. Every person she loves is slowly vanishing into the thin air. She had no one else to talk to. No one comforts her whenever she feels gloomy. She really misses Luhan.

 

“You’re alone again?” A deep and husky voice said which made Yoona a bit startled.

 

The person sat beside her and she smiled at the person. “I’m sorry if I startled you. I was just worried about you.”

 

Yoona smiled. She’s wrong. She still has someone who never fails to make her smile, her stepbrother, Yi Fan.

 

Yi Fan is a kind-hearted person but everyone fears him because of his appearance. For them, he’s a beast who can kill anyone mercilessly but for her, she is her guardian angel, her stepbrother. She treasures him so much because he never tried anything to make her cry. He doesn’t like it when she cries. He would hurt anyone who would try to hurt her just like what happened a few days ago.

 

She can still remember it, someone tried to harass her when she’s alone inside her room. Fortunately, Yi Fan passed by and heard her yells. He attacked the guy, who is a new servant in the palace, and almost killed the guy. He was really mad at that time that he never let any guy servant to enter her room. He became strict and fierce. But because of this, people started rumors about him; how merciless he is like his mother, how aggressive he is and how he is like a monster. She hated them, for judging her stepbrother. They don’t know anything yet assume things. She hates it.

 

Yi Fan cleared his throat to gain Yoona’s attention that is spacing out, again. “I’m sorry.”, she muttered and smiled weakly at him.

 

“You’re thinking about him again?”, he asked. Yoona sighed and nodded her head in reply. “You’re falling for him?”

 

Yoona stared at him for a moment with a confused look. “W-what?”, she asked.

 

Yi Fan smiled at his stepsister’s innocence. “He likes you. Well, that’s what I’ve observed when he’s still here.”, he explained. Yoona laughed at what he said which earned a confused look from Yi Fan.

 

“`You’re really funny, Yi Fan. Luhan is just a childhood friend, a best friend, a comfort zone, a brother-like figure, like you.”, she explained, “And he won’t fall for me. I’m just, I’m j-just.”

 

“You’re just his what?”, he eagerly asked.

 

Yoona sighed, “I’m just a sister to him. That’s all. Nothing more, nothing less.”, she explained as she looked up at the sky.

 

*******

 

It was already evening and Yuri’s stepmother and stepsisters are now asleep. She’s inside her room almost finished packing her clothes. Tonight will be the end of her sufferings. She will now be free from her abuse family. She will start a new life all by herself. She can do it; she’s not Kwon Yuri for nothing.

 

She heaved a deep sigh and grabbed her luggage. Her luggage is just a medium-sized one which contains only few and necessary things.

 

When she was about to walk she felt something on her feet. She looked down and saw her friend cat. It was nuzzling on her feet as if telling her not to leave her there. She carried the cat and silently left the house, the house which is filled by her and her parents’ memories, the house she once called home.

 

She smiled genuinely as she stepped outside. It was as if she was never this free before. She looked around and thought of how would she start and where. She sighed at the thought of it. She should have been more prepared. But, at least she’s now free from her stepmother’s wrath and stepsisters’ unending orders. She stared at her little friend and smiled. At least she has the cat.

 

She started to walk away from the house without knowing where she would end up. As she was walking along the quiet streets, a lady, who seems to be in a hurry, bumped into her accidentally. Books and scrolls scattered on the ground as the two bumped each other. The lady apologized to her without looking at her.

 

Yuri bent down to help the lady pick up her things and as she was picking up a book, she read its title. Manners of the Heart.

 

The lady looked at Yuri as she was focused on the book. “I’m sorry, again.”, the lady apologized as Yuri came back to reality.

 

“It’s nothing. Uhm-“, Yuri hesitated. “You write books?”, she asked which earned a nod from the lady.

 

“I’m a scholar in the palace. I-“, the lady paused as she saw Yuri’s luggage. “Where are you going?”

 

“No-nowhere.”, she muttered.

 

The lady smiled. “I’m Kim Tae Yeon. Would you like to come with me in the palace. You can stay with me. It’s dark already and it would be dangerous for you to stay outside.”, she offered.

 

Yuri’s face brighten up as she heard the lady. She nods and at that night, she didn’t know that fate is now being kind to her.

 

*******

 

It was a peaceful night in their neighborhood but not inside Joohyun’s house. Her father is not really well. His coughs were a bit louder than before and his face was paler. She doesn’t know what to do. She always smile to her father whenever he told her to rest but Joohyun would just smile and tell him that she’s fine staying awake.

 

But, the truth is that she’s really tired and needed rest. She’d been doing the chores all day and then takes care of her sick father. Her father held her right hand which made her back to reality.

 

“Are you alright, father? Do you need anything?”, she asked patiently.

 

His father smiled. “I am fine. I think I can go back to work tomorrow.”, he informed her but coughed hardly.

 

Joohyun frowned at what her father said. “No. You won’t go back to work. You’re still not okay. You’re still weak.”, she complained softly.

 

“But, Joohyun, if I won’t work, who will work for us? I need to work, Joohyun.” Joohyun heaved a sigh and held his father’s hands tight.

 

“I will work for us, father. I will replace you at the palace. I can do it. Trust me.”, she said His father frowned.

 

“No. Joohyun, I can’t let you work at the palace. I can’t. He- he might hurt you.”

 

“My decision’s final, father. I’ll work at the palace and will start next week. I promise you, I'm going to be alright.”, she declared which her father just sighed in reply.

 

That night, the sweet and obedient Joohyun was now replaced by a determined and brave Joohyun, who will do everything for her father. She is willing to do anything for her father. Tomorrow morning, she’ll head to the palace to inform them about her decision.

 

 

 

*******

 

Well, two chapters in one day. I know I said that I won't be able to update but, I change my mind. I'll update today and maybe after my finals I'll update again. But anyways, thank you for reading. Your comments are my inspirations. SmileLoveEnjoy :)

~Kai