Fighting

Protection (HIATUS)

 

Hundreds maybe a thousand of sweaty Asian men and women, ruggedly built foreigners, and unbeknownst to Jessica and Tiffany, a few demons thrown into the mix. In the downtown convention center, the redhead and her protector are cramped into the large building for Martial Arts convention. Tiffany's not into this kinda of sport, or any at all for that matter, and Jessica hates obscenely large amounts of people, and this place definitely held an obscenely large amount of people. However, they both have their reasons for being at the convention. 
 
 
 Jessica and Tiffany stood near the entrance because the protector had to look through the program for the people he needed to find. Heechul's email had said that they would both be presenting in the convention. When the blonde found them and the times of their presentations, she let out a relieved sigh. These people wouldn't be presenting until Sunday and in the afternoon. That meant Jessica could leave this crowded place of overindulged Marital Arts enthusiasts and real people to the skill. 
 
Tiffany noticed the blonde's sigh and wondered what it was about. Jessica was the one who suggested this little excursion, but now it seemed she wanted out and found a way. "Jessi, what's up?"
 
Jessica looked at Tiffany's furrowed eyebrows, "Oh. Just the people I wanted to see won't be presenting until tomorrow. So I guess we can just go home and then come back?" She really wanted to leave. 
 
"You just wanted to see specific presentations? That's no fun! You paid for these tickets and now you want to leave? Don't waste opportunities, Jessi."
 
Technically, Jessica didn't pay for the tickets, Heechul had given them to her, but she had to pay for the hotel. Jessica's parents left enough money for her and her sister to be set for life, but Jessica didn't use that money. She had other means of procuring that money. Tiffany did have a point though, why waste a good thing? "If you want to stay, we will."
 
"It's not about me."
 
"Then what?"
 
"It's about you wasting an opportunity."
 
"Well, if you don't want me to waste an opportunity, then we stay. No complaining from you though!" Jessica wagged a finger in the redhead's face. 
 
Tiffany smiled, "Yes mam!"
 
 
 
 
******
 
 
 
A woman and a man dressed casually stood next to each other from the conference room over looking the convention. 
 
"I sense a lot of power here," the woman said not looking at the man. 
 
The man nodded and continued looking at the mass of people. Something was off to him. "It's not all human though."
 
"Yeah... Demons, a number of demons."
 
"Are they that stupid not to know we're here?"
 
"Obviously. I'm more worried about why they're here."
 
"Something attracted them here."
 
She turned to the man, finally looking at him. "You think it's a human?"
 
"Maybe," he shrugged. "They couldn't be trying to get into the running for the chance at our training."
 
"But what if they are?"
 
"Those demons would be stupider than I thought to risk their lives like that. I think it maybe a human." He put a hand on her shoulder, "Don't worry about it so much. If they really are here after a human, chances are that person will be coming to our presentations. We just wait."
 
The woman's face softened, "You're right. I'm getting too old to be worrying over such things." She brushed his hand off of her shoulder, "You know better than to touch me. You haven't the right to anymore." The woman spun on her heels and walked out of the room. The man just sighed, defeated. He would never win against that woman. 
 
 
 
 
******
 
 
 
 
"Jessi I'm hungry!"
 
 
"Jessi my feet hurt!"
 
 
"Jessi I'm tired!"
 
Though Tiffany had said she would not complain, the girl was doing just that. They had only been walking around for two hours at the most. She started complaining 30 minutes into it.
 
 
Jessica sighed for the umpteenth time and decided that she should give her cargo a break. She had ignored her as punishment for going back on her word. "Fine. Sit on this bench and I'll go grab us something to eat."
 
Tiffany smiled but shook her head, "No, I'll go with you!"
 
Jessica pushed the redhead gently to sit. "You were just complaining about being tired and whatnot. Just wait here and I'll be right back."
 
"Okay," Tiffany relented and crossed her arms and pouted. 
 
Jessica nodded and left to get their food. 
 
 
 
Tiffany continued to pout at the blonde's retreating figure. Tiffany Hwang knows she's a pretty girl, she's been told so countless times. So, she knew that people were oogling at her. She tried to make them stop by not pouting anymore and keeping her face Medusa stoned. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to stop some guy from hitting on her. 
 
The guy had greasy hair and an equally greasy smile. He strutted up to her like he was something to look at. "Hey pretty lady. Whatcha doin' all alone?"
 
Tiffany's not one to hide her emotions. She had a clear look of disgust on her face. "Sorry, but I'm not alone. I'm waiting for someone."
 
The oil haired guy didn't take that as a rejection, so he sat on the bench next to Tiffany and put his arm over the back enabling him the chance to lean closer to the redhead. "I'll keep you company then."
 
Tiffany pushed herself away from the guy and stood up to walk away. "No thanks."
 
 
 
 
*****
 
 
 
 
"Ahjussi, two cheeseburgers and two cokes please!" Jessica ordered from the American food booth. She thanked her luck for the convention actually having such a booth. The blonde expected there to be only healthy foods and crap she definitely didn't want to eat. 
 
A man that looked about 40 something, stood next to her on the side of the booth as she waited for her order. The man had a happy smile on his face and it seemed that whatever was making him giddy, also made him want to talk to the stoic blonde. "Hello!" he bellowed over the crowd sounds. 
 
Jessica heard him, but decided to ignore him and keep looking forward. 
 
The man tried again, but even louder, "I SAID HELLO! You don't speak Korean?"
 
"I do, ahjussi," she said after sighing. The man was getting on her nerves and she knew he wasn't going to go away soon. 
 
"You train in any of the Martial Arts? Tae Kwon Do? Karate? Jujitsu?" he inquired. 
 
"Yeah."
 
"Oh?"
 
"Yeah."
 
"Not much of a talker, are you?"
 
"Yeah."
 
"Here for any specific reason?"
 
Jessica finally turned towards the annoying ahjussi and attempted to glare at him. "Look ahjussi, I'm just here to look around and mind my own business." She stopped her glare when her facial recognition kicked in. This man was one of the people she was supposed to get to train with. "J-Jung Yunho Kwangjangnim?!" 
 
The man gave a hearty laugh before answering, "Oh? Now you want to talk to this ahjussi? My, what a funny girl!" 
 
Jessica immediately went to attention and bowed her full 90 degrees. "Forgive me for my ignorance of your presence, Kwangjangnim!" 
 
"It's okay. We're not in the dojang right now. Tell me, why you're really here." 
 
"I... Uh... I needed to speak with you concerning something that I don't think I can talk to you about with all of these humans around," she hinted. 
 
He nodded, "If it's really something of that importance, come by my presentation tomorrow and prove it." Jung Kwangjangnim left the blonde frozen. 'Prove it?' she thought. 
 
Jessica went to run back to Tiffany, but the hamburger ahjussi called her back. She had to turn around and get the food then run back to the redhead again. 
 
 
 
 
******
 
 
 
 
Tiffany was held back from leaving by the greasy guy. He grabbed her by her wrist and pulled her back so that she flew into his arms. She struggled in his grip to get away, but he held he closer and tighter. Tiffany felt like she was going to suffocate. 
 
To avoid suspicion, he smiled and leaned to whisper in her ear. "Stop struggling and come with me princess. I won't hurt you of you do."
 
Tiffany leaned away from the guy's disgusting breath on her neck, but nodded. She didn't want to make a scene in front of all of these people. She planned her possible escape options as she let the guy drag her along. 
 
 
Jessica saw Tiffany in the grip of an unknown man and made a beeline to the redhead. She couldn't help but think about what a bad protector she was to let Tiffany be in the possession of some guy. 
 
 
The blonde reached the redhead and pulled her from the guy, back hugging her. Tiffany was surprised to say in the least. She hit Jessica's arms that were around her waist until she realized it was her blonde friend. Jessica glared at her before letting her go and setting the redhead behind her. 
 
"What the hell?" the greasy kidnapper shouted at Jessica. He lunged at her with a closes fist aimed at her jaw when she just shrugged. 
 
Jessica easily dogged the sad attempt at the blow noting mentally, that he was too easily reactive. A plus for her. 
 
He tried to punch her again, this time aiming for her stomach. Jessica stepped back and grabbed his wrist and dragged him to he right side, twisting his arms in the process. 
 
Failing to shake his wrist from the blonde's grip, he swung his left arm and punched her on her back. Jessica's grip loosened and he took advantage by yanking his arm back and kicked her behind her right knee. 
 
Jessica's leg buckled, but she recovered quickly. She stood up and waited for him to charge again, and when he did, she side kicked him square on the left side of his jaw. The blonde knew he was expecting her to grab his arm again, hence the kick.
 
Apparently, Jessica forgot about her lack of control when fighting, so her kick was stronger than she should have made it. The greasy guy dropped on the floor like he was frozen and was knocked out cold, security took him away. The little fight caused a crowd to gather around Jessica. Tiffany quickly took Jessica into the restroom to, check her up, interrogate actually. 
 
 
 
 
******
 
 
 
"Did you see that?" Jung Yunho asked the woman.
 
"Of course, babo! You think that blonde girl is the one they're after?"
 
"I don't know, but maybe. Her aura is intense. Had I been that demon, I would have been frozen too."
 
"Yeah, I felt it too. She's an interesting one."
 
"She told me she had something to discuss with me, so I told her to come to my presentation tomorrow and prove to me that whatever it is she wants to talk about is worth my time."
 
The woman looked up at him skeptically, "You think she'll do it?"
 
"Most definitely."
 
 
 
******
 
 
 
"Jessi!" she yelled at the blonde who was currently splashing water on her face. 
 
Jessica dried her face with the crappy paper towels and looked at Tiffany's worried, irritated, and confused face. "What?"
 
"What? You have to ask? What was that just now?! How did you, with just one kick, send that guy to sleep?" Tiffany spit fired, literally. The redhead, when riled, spits as she speaks. 
 
Jessica just shrugged and turned the tables, "Why didn't you ask for help?"
 
Tiffany bit her lip and looked away guiltily.
 
"You should think about your safety more often. That was really dangerous of you to just follow the guy. I'm sure you were thinking of a plan, but still..." Jessica sighed. "If you think that you didn't want to cause a scene by protecting yourself, you're stupid. Your safety should always come first. If you don't think so, then I'll be there to ensure that you're always safe."
 
The redhead couldn't say anything. Jessica was right and being really sweet. Tiffany still had something to ask. "Jessi, how are you so good at fighting?"
 
Jessica rubbed the back of her neck shyly and pondered what to say. "I was into Tae Kwon Do a little when I was younger, Jujitsu a bit after that, and a few Karate classes."
 
"I think you're more than a little bit trained in those than you're letting on." Tiffany narrowed her eyes at the blonde, "The whole truth."
 
"Well... I kinda fight a little for hire." Jessica looked down. She hadn't told anyone before now. It's not like she really had anyone to tell.
 
"Jessi... That's dangerous! Fight for hire?! Do you fight guys? How often? Why would you do that? Now who's not caring about their safety?" Tiffany attcked her with a barrage of questions again.
 
"Geez, calm down a bit! I didn't bring an umbrella with me today." Jessica tried for some comic relief, it didn't work. "Okay, I fight sometimes for people who can't or know that they're no match for whomever they're supposed to fight against. Yes, I fight guys mostly, but there's the occasional girl. Not often, just whenever I need some extra pocket money. Why do I do it? It makes me feel better. I do care about my safety. I fight more than well enough to take on the people that I do."
 
Tiffany liked that Jessica was being honest with her, even though she had to push a little. She did not like, however, Jessica's nonchalant attitude about her fighting. "You... Jessi, I want you to stop."
 
"Stop what? Fighting?" Jessica was perplexed. Why did she have to?
 
"Yes. I don't want you to get hurt one day. If you get hurt from fighting and can't protect me like you just said you would, than that would make you a person that goes back on their word. And essentially telling me that you don't care."
 
Jessica opened to argue, but the words got stuck in her mind. Tiffany had indirectly told her that fighting was only allowed when protecting the redhead. The blonde thought about it more, and the more she did, the more she thought that it probably wasn't such a bad thing. Tiffany would have plenty of demons after her that Jessica could beat up. She would still get to fight and do her job. Win-win. Approved. "Okay, Tiffany. I won't fight anymore."
 
Tiffany smiled an eye smile that could charm a con man and hugged Jessica. "Yay! Good, Jessi!"
 
"Yah! I'm not a dog, don't praise me like one." Jessica squirmed out of Tiffany's pigeon hold hug and walked to the restroom door. Tiffany followed obediently, she knew that Jessica wouldn't let her too far away anymore.