The Rabbit and The Turtle

Protection (HIATUS)

 

"UNNIE!" Krystal shouted at her sleeping sister. Jessica has been released from the hospital and she's to be starting school again. The blonde rolled in bed away from the angry voice in a failed attempt to make it go away by ignoring. The younger sister grabbed the covers and pillows away from her sister to get her up. Jessica didn't do anything but curl herself into a ball for warmth. "If you don't get up right now, I'll put cucumbers everywhere in this apartment and in everything you own." Krystal hated resorting to such threats because her unnie turned violent. 
 
On cue, Jessica shot out of bed and glared at her sister. "Don't you dare. You know I'm allergic and could die."
 
Krystal shrugged indifferently. "Ehhh, at least you're up now. Go get ready. We have to go to school."
 
Jessica walked to their shared bathroom, closed the door, then opened it up again to make the I'm-watching-you gesture to her little sister. Krystal threw a pillow and told her sister to hurry up. 
 
 
 
 
Jessica and Krystal ate their breakfast quietly. The blonde was zoning out. She was thinking about if she should tell Krystal about her little deal with the spirit world. The younger Jung was so happy when her sister returned back to immaculate health. Jessica felt like her rational dongsaeng would not believe her. She opted not to tell her, yet. This would take time. 
 
The blonde also thought about how she would protect Tiffany. First, she had to get close to her. Jessica had deemed that nearly impossible, considering the way they are. Second, she'd have to train with her. Never in her life did she think training with the supernatural would ever come into her life.
 
She thought about if Tiffany even knew that she was this great being. Nothing about Tiffany seemed to point toward the supernatural world when she was stalking the bully during the last week. Tiffany seemed like a normal, happy-go-lucky girl with the world under her submission.
 
"Unnie! Time to go!" Krystal threw her used napkin at her sister's head. Jessica nodded and they left their small apartment for school. 
 
 
 
 
 
******
 
 
 
 
Jessica and Krystal parted at the school's gate because Krystal went to her friends. Jessica sighed and walked to her classroom in a spaced out manner. She was still formulating a plan to get closer to Tiffany. Everything she thought of came out as Jessica being the creepy one and Tiffany hating her more. She ruffled her hair in frustration as she stopped at her locker. 
 
Opening her locker, a can of worms shot out at her face and toppled to the floor around her. Clearly not amused, Jessica looked around for the culprit. She spotted on Tiffany Hwang snickering with her two best friends, Kwon Yuri and Im Yoona. The blonde sent them an icy glare and picked up the paper worms and threw them away. Jessica gathered her books into her backpack and walked to the Three Musketeers. 
 
The guilty party of three froze when Jessica started walking towards them. Jessica had never done that before. The anti-social blonde only ever ignored them until the next prank occurred. Jessica's glared turned into a smirk hen she saw the three girls all flustered at her new reaction. The blonde stopped right in front of Tiffany. 
 
"Morning Hwang," she said sweetly. Too sweetly. Jessica knew she probably sounded creepy, so she decided to change tactics. 
 
Tiffany's face turned into one of fear and tried to back away. Yuri and Yoona, being the great friends they are, ran away as soon as Jessica stopped. "M-morning?" Tiffany wasn't sure why she had gotten all nervous so suddenly. Jessica hadn't been this close to her since that time in the third grade when Tiffany pushed Jessica on the soccer field during P.E. 
 
Jessica took Tiffany by the hand and dragged her to a empty classroom. School wouldn't be starting for another 30 minutes, so Jessica had time. Tiffany let herself be dragged for an unknown reason. She was still in shock at Jessica's sweet voice. 'Had her voice always been like that?' she wondered. 
 
The blonde sat down at a desk, leaving Tiffany standing. She inhaled, trying to summon up the strength to say what she was about to say. "Tiffany, I know you don't like me, for whatever reason. But I want to call a truce with you."
 
Tiffany stayed quiet and blinked a few times before returning to her normal self. "Truce? Do I look like the kind of person to give in, Jung?"
 
"Why do you hate me?" she asked instead of answering sarcastically like she would have. 
 
"I...don't hate you. I just think its fun to mess with you. You don't retaliate like I thought you would. Though it's kinda boring that you don't do anything." Tiffany explained as if was simple math. 
 
Jessica close her eyes and shook her head. She has just deemed Tiffany a psychopath. The blonde's cellphone rang and she checked it, a text from Heechul. The spirit world seemed to get great coverage. He sent her a digital copy of the files and a reminder that she had to be with Tiffany at nearly all times. "Can't you just stop?"
 
"Why?"
 
"I know you're a nice person, so why me?"
 
"I don't know..." Tiffany looked away from Jessica's probing eyes. She mumbled, "You're the only person to turn me down when I tried to make friends with you."
 
Jessica's eyes went from inquisitive to confused. "You never tried to be my friend."
 
Tiffany looked back at the blonde with squinted eyes, "Yes, I did."
 
"When?"
 
"In the first grade. We were in the same class and were seat mates. I introduced myself to you and you just looked away and ignored me, then fell asleep." Tiffany remembered this very clearly. Jessica was the only person to reject her.
 
Jessica looked up at the ceiling, searching through her memory for that moment. Then it clicked. "Oh! I remember that, kinda. First day of first grade, right?"
 
Tiffany nodded. 'Where's she going with this?'
 
"I didn't ignore you, well I did, but I didn't mean to be mean. I got sick the week before school started and was still recovering during the first day of school. I had a sore throat and it was hard to talk. When you introduced yourself, I wanted to too. But I didn't because it would've hurt too much, so I kinda just ignored you. When I was better, I tried to talk to you and introduce myself, but that's when you decided to be mean to me." Jessica had no idea something so trivial to her, packed such a punch for Tiffany. 
 
Tiffany absorbed everything Jessica said and felt stupid. She spent the last 11 years teasing and bullying this blonde girl in front of her for something stupid when they were 6 years old. Tiffany had a very strong sense of justice, that's why she never understood her actions toward Jessica. Tiffany bowed on her knees in front of Jessica, "Please accept my apology for hurting you for the last 11 years! I'm so sorry!"
 
Jessica panicked and pulled Tiffany up by her shoulders. "You don't have to bow to me! Don't ever do that to me. A simple sorry is enough, you weird redhead."
 
Tiffany sniffled, holding back her tears. She's a crier. "Thank...you Jessica.... I'm so...sorry!" Tiffany burst and her tears flowed without restraint and flung herself at the blonde.  
 
"Oh crap! Don't cry! I don't know how to handle people when they cry." Jessica stood still like a cardboard cut-out. She is not the comforting type. "Ummm... There, there?" she patted Tiffany on her back awkwardly. 
 
When Tiffany stopped crying, she let go of Jessica and smiled thankfully at her. "Sorry for scaring you like that. I should've guessed you're not good with dealing with people crying."
 
Jessica shook her head and her face held a soft smile, "You're apologizing too much. Just once is enough. I'm sorry that I'm pretty useless when it comes to other people expressing their emotions to me."
 
When Jessica smiled just then, Tiffany could've sworn that her heart stopped beating for a second. The redhead couldn't help but wonder, if she hasn't bullied Jessica for so long, would the blonde smile like that more? "It's okay..."
 
"So... Friends?"
 
"Friends!" Tiffany held her hand out for a shake and Jessica took it. She had just successfully checked off one thing on her to do list. "We should get to class. Time seemed to have fast forwarded, class will be starting in a few."
 
"Yeah."
 
Tiffany hooked her arm through Jessica's and led them out to their own classroom. People stared in awe and wonder at them. The rabbit and the turtle were linking arms and walking to class together happily? Blasphemy. 
 
"Tiffany," Jessica whispered and slowed them down. 
 
"Yes?"
 
"I think I should head to class first..."
 
Tiffany furrowed her eyebrows, "Why?"
 
"Well, your make up is... kinda... kinda messed up from you crying. You look like a sad raccoon." Jessica said cautiously. Girls are sensitive when it comes to their make up. 
 
"Really?! Oh shoot! Okay, you go first. I'll be right there after I fix myself. Thank you for telling me!" Tiffany said before running off to the restroom. 
 
Jessica was seated in her assigned seat in the back of the room next to the windows. Tiffany walked in and smiled blindingly at the blonde and waved. Jessica smiled back awkwardly. Everyone in class was looking at her. She sighed, something she'd have to get used to. 
 
 
 
 
 
******
 
 
 
 
 
Two weeks of their new friendship and the blonde and the redhead have gotten closer. Tiffany has even deemed them best friends. Jessica has gotten comfortable with Tiffany's friends, Yuri and Yoona. Yoona had become especially attached to the blonde once she joined their little circle. 
 
 
 
Jessica was sitting outside on the roof of the school's building. Heechul was supposed to be there already. She looked around and cursed at an imaginary girly man to pass the time. 
 
"Hey, blondie!" he greeted as he appeared in front of her. 
 
Jessica jumped back in shock and then punched his shoulder. "You! Where's your bike? You scared the crap out of me!"
 
He grinned, "Oh, sorry. I don't really need my bike when I have no one to . I can just appear anywhere I want."
 
"Okay, just don't scare me like that. I react violently. There's more where that came from!" She wagged her tiny fist in his face. 
 
"Alright, down girl." he chuckled. "Now let's get down to business-"
 
"To defeat the huns!" she sang with a smirk. 
 
"You kid! Pay attention, this is important. You have to get Tiffany to go meet with those people in the files I sent you. You two really need to start your training. You got lucky that demons haven't attacked you yet."
 
Jessica nodded, "Hey wait."
 
"Yeah?"
 
"If Tiffany is this sought after, why haven't any demons come after her yet?"
 
"Our reports are that some demons are just taking their time as others have yet to pinpoint her location."
 
"Ahhh. Another question."
 
"Shoot."
 
"Does Tiffany know about her significance in the worlds?"
 
"Research says she has knowledge, yes. But we're not sure if she believes in it."
 
"Hmmm..."
 
"That's why you need to hurry up and go meet with those people by this weekend."
 
"This weekend?"
 
"Yes. Luckily, both of the people you need to meet will be in the same place. I sent to an email with the details." Heechul looked towards the door of the roof, "Gotta go. You got company. See ya kid!" He then vanished into the air. 
 
 
The door opened and Jessica looked at who was there. "Hey Jessi!" a bubbly redhead greeted as she walked to the blonde. 
 
"Hey!" Jessica greeted back cheerfully. It's gotten easier to be like that with Tiffany around. 
 
Tiffany hugged Jessica, "Who were you talking to?"
 
Jessica let go of their hug and feigned ignorance, "What are you taking about? Before you came up, I was alone."
 
"I could have sworn I heard someone." Tiffany's eyebrows furrowed. She had that gut feeling something was up. 
 
Jessica rubbed the space between Tiffany's eyebrows and chuckled at the now pouting redhead. "You worry too much!"
 
"No I don't!" she swatted away the hand. 
 
"Hey, Tiff?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"Wanna go somewhere with me this weekend?"
 
"Where?"
 
"Martial Arts convention."
 
"A what? And for the whole weekend?"
 
"A Martial Arts convention. It's like ComicCon, but for Martial Arts. Yes for the whole weekend. Come on, it'll be fun!"
 
Tiffany tottered her head side to side, thinking it over. She's not a fan of stuff like that, but with Jessica, it might be fun. "Okay, I'll go!"
 
"Great! Let's get to class!"