Dead

Protection (HIATUS)

 

 

"Yes, you're dead."
 
Jessica looked at the person, expressionless. On the inside, she was running around like a town crier screaming fire. "Look Miss-"
 
"I'm a man," the person said, slightly jilted. In Jessica's defense, he was rather girly looking. He was tall, lanky but had the body of a skinny woman, and had long hair in a ponytail. 
 
"Really? You sure? 'Cause I mean, you look like a woman to me."
 
The girly man glared at her, "Yes I'm sure." He burst, "It is my body, you annoying brat!"
 
Jessica put her hand up in a 'stop' motion. "Whatever. You said I'm dead?"
 
"Yes, you are. You were quick to accept the fact, most people take time." The man cleared his throat, "I'm Heechul, your spirit guide!"
 
The blonde raised her eyebrow, "Spirit guide?"
 
"Yes! I guide spirits through the spirit world."
 
"..."
 
"..."
 
"Do I look like an idiot to you?"
 
"You're dead, in spirit form right now, and you think I'm lying about being a spirit guide?"
 
"But I thought when you die, you go into the white light or get to hell or whatever."
 
"Lies, honey. Crap made up by people like the Boy Who Cried Wolf."
 
"So spirit guide, what the hell are you doing just standing there? Why aren't you guiding me?"
 
"I need to explain some things first."
 
Jessica motioned for him to continue. 
 
"Your death was... unexpected to say in the least. So currently, the spirit world has no idea what to do with you."
 
"Unexpected?"
 
"Well," Heechul started  cautiously, he did read the girl's profile. "You're not the nicest of people, so you saving that girl, was definitely beyond comprehension. You were supposed to let her get hit."
 
Flabbergasted, "Let her get hit? I'm mean, not heartless! How could I just let someone get hit by a speeding truck when I could help?" This Heechul was making her out to be some demon.
 
He shrugged his shoulders, "Anyway, I need you to come with me to see the big man-"
 
"God?!"
 
"Also a lie kid. Just come with me so he can explain more. You're giving me a migraine." He gestured to a motorcycle next to him.
 
"What, are you gonna ride off with me like Haggrid?"
 
"Yes. Now get on." Heechul situated himself of his bike and waited for Jessica to get on. 
 
Jessica sat and held his shoulders as he started it up, "No helmet?"
 
He chuckled, "You're already dead!"
 
"Right," she said embarrassed. He revved the engine for effect and took off into the sky. 
 
 
 
 
******
 
 
 
 
They flew/rode over the River Styx and arrived in front of a great enormous gate. Heechul got off wordlessly and walked through with Jessica following along like a puppy. This was ludicrous to her. 
 
 
The spirit guide and his charge walked through a large office-like building. Heechul expertly dodged some workers carrying stacks of papers while Jessica struggled not to knock over the workers. Unlike regular office workers though, Jessica noted that these workers had horns. "Where are we?" she whispered to her guide.
 
He looked over his shoulder, "I didn't tell you? The spirit world's headquarters." Heechul came to an abrupt stop an the blonde nearly ran into his girly frame. They stood in front of a tall desk, "Here we are! The boss should be here."
 
"Woah Missy! Spirit world?" she shoved his shoulder and glared at him.
 
He shoved her back, "I'm a guy!"
 
"You don't look like one," she scoffed and shoved him again. "Explain."
 
 He shoved her once more before explaining. "The spirit world is a place for spirits and other supernatural beings. This building is HQ. Here is where the big boss regulates and manages the underworld so that demons aren't freely going in between there and the human world."
 
"So... There's like three worlds in the universe?"
 
"Very good. Gold star for you!"
 
"Shut the hell up. Where's this great boss of yours?"
 
"Good question..." He mumbled and scratched his head, "I don't know either."
 
 
Suddenly, a being appeared right in front of them, scaring them both. "Hey guys!" the being squealed happily and waved at them. She had too much aegyo for Jessica to handle. 
 
"Oh mini boss! You scared me!" Heechul ran a hand through his hair and breathed heavily to calm his racing heart. 
 
Jessica, wide-eyed and stars struck, gaped at the being before her. This person was shorter than Jessica, had blonde boy-cut hair, was overflowing with aegyo, and most of all, looked extremely young. She was wearing a business suit and heels. 
 
The 'mini boss' waved a hand in front of the blonde's face but got nothing. Heechul shoved a spaced out Jessica to bring her back. It worked because she immediately shoved him back, hard enough for his thin frame to stumble to the side. He straightened himself and bowed to his boss and motioned Jessica to follow. "This is big boss's niece, Soonkyu. She's like the number two in charge of the spirit world." Jessica could only nod. 
 
Soonkyu chuckled, "Oh Heechul, I told you I'm going by Sunny now. It's less intimidating and it makes me sound like an ahjuma. Please call me Sunny." She smiled at the blonde and held out a hand for a shake. 
 
Jessica shook Sunny's hand, "Uhhh... Nice to meet you... I guess. I'm Je-"
 
"Jessica Jung Sooyeon. Age 17. Senior at Soshi High School. Unpopular and unlinked. Unfriendly, hence the lack of friends. Smart, but extremely lazy. Seems to only love sleep and her little sister," Sunny rolled off her tongue.
 
Jessica was left nearly speechless, "Ho-"
 
"How do I know? It's my job to know. I read your profile of course. Quite a boring read, I might add."
 
Jessica glared at Sunny and scoffed, "Well sorry for having such a boring life, your majesty." Even if she was in the face of a being of great stature, so to speak, Jessica could not hold back on her sarcasm. 
 
Heechul shoved her, "Show some respect kid! She's next in line to be the ruler of the spirit world!"
 
"Relax Heechul. It's fine. Glad to know she's as refreshing as her profile says," Sunny smiled happily. Directing her attention back to the blonde, "Did Heechul explain to you why you're here?"
 
"Something about my death being unexpected and you guys having no clue what to do with me."
 
"Okay. I'll make this clearer. You were not such a great person while you were alive-"
 
"Was it my fault other people were just stupid?" she interjected. 
 
"No. Continuing on, therefore, not even the great diviners could foretell that you were going to save that girl and get hit yourself. So, seeing as there's no place for you yet in either the underworld or spirit world, I have an offer to send you back to the human world alive."
 
"Okay?"
 
"But there's a clause, a catch if you will. You have to protect Tiffany Hwang."
 
"Tiffany Hwang?! The reason I'm dead in the first place!" the blonde exploded. No way in hell would she do that. 

 

 

 

________________________________________

A/N: Anyone read or watched Yu Yu Hakashu? I kinda got the idea from there, but please don't think I'm playgerizing. I'm going in a completely different direction with this, I just wanted to use the beginning premise of it.