Deal

Protection (HIATUS)

 

Sunny and Heechul covered their ears as Jessica screamed a dolphin pitched scream. Banshees had nothing on this blonde's vocal capacity. Jessica was more infuriated than shocked. Protect the person she hates? That's a no, stamped, sealed, and sent. "I'd rather die again than do that," she said adamantly. 
 
"Why?" Sunny asked. This is not going as she planned. If this goes wrong, she would have to explain to her uncle and that would not be good for any of the worlds. 
 
"Umm... Maybe because she's antagonized my life since grade school?"
 
"I'm offering you a chance to live again, and you're turning it down?"
 
Jessica did want to be alive again, but was it worth being attached to the person she hated the most? "I... don't know. Give me some time."
 
Sunny sighed. This was harder than she thought. "I can give you a week. I had some of my people work to make your physical body in the human world in a coma. If you don't have an answer for me in by the end of that week, I'm going to have to lock you away."
 
"Lock me away?"
 
"In a prison. I can't have rogue spirit wandering between the worlds."
 
"But I haven't done anything!" 
 
"It's your choice. Protect Tiffany and be alive or prison for eternity."
 
"Okay. One week. Can I ask you a question?"
 
Sunny nodded. 
 
"Why do I have to protect her?"
 
Sunny cleared . She should have prepared herself to answer this question. This was a rather sensitive topic. "Well you see... Hmmm... Tiffany is a special kind of human. She has potential to be something great, but until that  happens, she needs protection."
 
Jessica spaced out again. Tiffany Hwang, the reason for her misery, was some great being that needed her protection. What a trip. 
 
Heechul spoke, "I'll send you back to the human world and you can spend your week mulling things over there. You obviously can't talk to people nor touch them. You can only watch over. However, those with stronger sixth senses can feel your presence, animals too." He took the still spaced out Jessica, made her bow to Sunny and led her to his motorcycle. 
 
 
 
 
******
 
 
 
Heechul dropped Jessica back in the human world in front of the hospital building her body was at. She nervously walked into the building and made her way to her room. She had checked the nurses station for it. Jessica had always hated hospitals, a place of life and death. For her though, there was more death. 
 
 
She stood at the door and looked at her little sister beside her bed. Krystal is her only family left. Their parents died three years ago and it's been just them since. Their extended family didn't want to take the burden of two more mouths to feed. If she stayed dead, Krystal would have to be all alone. Jessica would never want that. 
 
Krystal's head was resting on the side of Jessica's bed. She had fallen asleep. The blonde walked over to her sister and tried to pat her sister's head, but her hand went right through. Something she didn't want to get used to. Jessica felt her heart drop as she noticed the tear stains on her little sister's cheeks. "Unnie is sorry, Soojung-ah," she whispered. She couldn't stay there and watch her sister's sadly dream, so she left. 
 
 
 
Jessica had gone to her school once morning came to observe the masses. No one seemed to know or care that she almost died the day before and was now in a coma. Not like she was surprised or upset, this was to be expected. Jessica wasn't exactly the world's nicest person. People at school seemed to steer clear of her because of the icy aura she emitted and her straight, emotionless face she kept up. She also has quite the temper, so those whom had messed with her ended up on the receiving end of a ferocious beast of a girl. 
 
 
These people were the least of her concern, especially Tiffany. That is until yesterday. Jessica ended up following around said girl all through the school day. She noted how Tiffany never seemed to be alone, except yesterday. Tiffany looked so happy, never once did a smile leave her face. It left Jessica wondering, did she even know that the girl she had made life a living hell for, saved her life and almost died for her? If she did know, did she even care? 
 
Tiffany's bullying had only hardened Jessica's shell growing up. She never knew why Tiffany bullied her and she never tried to find out. She just ignored it the best she could. The only thing Jessica would not stand for though, was if Tiffany decided to bring Krystal into the while thing. Thankfully, Tiffany didn't. 
 
 
Observing Tiffany all day made Jessica more indecisive than she was the day before. If Tiffany hadn't bullied her, the blonde would have probably agreed without a second thought. Tiffany was so kind to her friends, teachers, classmates, strangers even. Why couldn't be nice to Jessica?
 
 
 
 
******
 
 
 
 
"Jessica," Heechul called out. A week has passed and he was in Jessica's hospital room, where the blonde was waiting. 
 
 
Jessica had spent the week following Krystal and Tiffany alternately to decide. She looked at Heechul and nodded, following him to his bike. 
 
 
 
When they arrived, Jessica successfully dodged the office workers and walked lazily to where Sunny should be. The two bowed and they all got right to it. "Your decision?" Sunny asked. 
 
Jessica sighed and shook her head, "I know I should say yes, but there's this nagging feeling that says no. Even if I agree, what would I be protecting Tiffany from and how?"
 
"Those are understandable worries. Demons... Demons are what you would be protecting her from. How you ask? I'll explain that more if you agree."
 
"Demons..." Jessica mumbled. 
 
Heechul just stood on the side and watched the two. As the big boss's right hand, he knows exactly what the repercussions of Jessica not agreeing would be. It would definitely not be good. The downfall of the spirit world. The girly man also knew that even with this risk, they couldn't say anything to sway the blonde intentionally, free will and all. 
 
"So what do you say?"
 
"I'll agree because I can't leave my sister alone. She's too young and has lost too much already."
 
Sunny's bright smile returned to her small face and Heechul let out a relieved sigh. Everything was going to be okay, for now. "Great!" The business woman went up to the desk and made a quick call. she hopped down and fished out some files. "I have made the arrangements for your return back to the world of the living." Handing the files to Jessica, "Once you return, you will need to find these two people. You and Tiffany will need to start your training."
 
"Training?" Jessica flipped through the files. These people did not seem so bad. 
 
"Yes, training. You can't protect Tiffany if you have no skills. Honestly, you have great potential, but you're a bit rough around the edges. Training with Tiffany will help you both," Sunny explained. 
 
"Okay. Send me back then."
 
Heechul chuckled and shoved her shoulder good natured-ly. "Okay you demanding kid, let's go."
 
Before Heechul could pull her away, she managed to ask another question. "Sunny, if you're the number two, where's the big guy?"
 
Sunny continued to smile and wagged her pointer finger at Jessica. "My uncle is on vacation. Hence me wanting to take care of your little predicament before he gets back. He's a nice man, but when he gets mad, it's not pretty. The last time I messed up, Vesuvius erupted."
 
Jessica nodded in understanding and allowed Heechul to drag her to his motorcycle. 
 
 
 
 
******
 
 
 
 
In Jessica's hospital room, she and Heechul stood on both sides of her bed looking down at her body. Jessica knew she was skinny, but being in a coma for a week made her look terrible. She tapped her foot impatiently on the tiles as they waited for whomever it was that was going to put her back. 
 
 
"Could you stop your tapping? It's freaking annoying," Heechul said as he flipped his hair. 
 
"Sorry miss." Jessica stopped her tapping and smirked at the guide. 
 
"Could you also stop referring to me as a female?" he said exasperated. 
 
"Why are you so girly?"
 
"Well... Technically I'm no gender."
 
The blonde smirked again, "So you're aual?"
 
"I do not reproduce with myself, no. I do not reproduce at all. I'm just look like a male."
 
"That makes you an infertile guy."
 
"Whatever."
 
"You could pass for transgender."
 
"Shut up kid." 
 
Jessica knew when to stop, "Fine. When's the great Oz coming?"
 
 
"I'm right here," a voice said from behind the two. 
 
Heechul smiled, "Thank you for coming. Jessica, this 'Oz' is a shaman. He's here to restore you back to your body."
 
"Hey there. Can't I just... You know... Lay back down and magically meld back together?" It made sense, sort of. It was like that in the movies. 
 
"No child. I have to cast a spell first," the shaman laughed. "But then the rest is much what you said."
 
Jessica walked the shaman to her bed, "Then get a spelling!"
 
The shaman placed a necklace on Jessica's spirit and then her body. He then cast his spell, when he was done he gestured for Jessica to do her thing. Jessica laid her spirit self into her physical self and with a flash, she was back. 
 
 
 
 
******
 
 
 
 
The blonde girl woke up groggily. She looked around her room and saw she was alone with no necklace on. Jessica thought it was all just a really strange dream, but then a long haired man walked through her room door, literally. She groaned, "Damn... Here I thought I was out of this."
 
Heechul chuckled, "Sorry blondie, but no such luck for you. Though you are pretty lucky, coming back to life and all."
 
"Whatever."
 
"Now that you're back, don't forget your job."
 
"About that..."
 
"Yeah?"
 
"She doesn't like me. Protecting her means I have to be close to her."
 
"And?"
 
"How the hell do you propose I do that?"
 
"Your problem, not mine!" Heechul scampered out of her room the way he arrived. 
 
"That damn woman!" Jessica hissed. She has gotten herself into something she had no clue about.