Hold On Tight

CRI Academy
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The red threads wrapped around Luhan’s fingers, he tugged on one of them, realizing that the threads go on and on, leading to somewhere beyond.

“Luhan?” His mother came in, smiling gently as she placed a plate of food down. “You got to eat before going to school.”

“Yes, mommy.” He found himself saying, voice childish and two pitches higher than usual.

Bai Weiyao ruffled Luhan’s hair adoringly before returning to the kitchen.

Luhan turned his attention back to the red threads. He tugged another one, a little bit harder this time.

Something light smacked his head; Luhan looked up and found his father looking at him, unsatisfied, a newspaper in his hand that seemed like the culprit who did Luhan’s little head injustice.

“Don’t play around when eating, Luhan.” Luming instructed.

Obediently, Luhan released his hold on two of the red threads. Bai Weiyao came and set a plate of omelet in front of Luhan, who immediately started digging into his breakfast.

The two red threads unwrapped themselves around his fingers, they fall and fall until they disappear.

“Mommy, I am going to Kkamjong’s house afterschool today!” Luhan exclaimed.

“Oh? I heard that they got a puppy?” Weiyao answered as she brought two more plates of food from the kitchen.

Luming nodded on the side. “Jungkwan got it for Kkamjong’s birthday.” Luhan answered.

“Don’t forget to call him ahjussi Luhan, he is your father’s friend and therefore your senior.” Weiyao frowned lightly, correcting Luhan. Luhan simply gave a shrug and she sighed, then smiled as she watched Luhan eat happily.

Luhan tugged on a different thread. The dinning room and his parents faded into nothingness and this time, a tanned skin boy appeared from behind, holding something tightly with his arms, excitement radiating from his face.

“Hyung!” The boy panted as he tried to speak. “Look!” He held the creature that was in his arm out for Luhan to see. It looked like a brown toy poodle to Luhan, who was seemingly scared of the bigger human standing in front of him.

“It’s adorable! Can I play with it Kkamjong?” Luhan pleaded.

The boy nodded stiffly, not even bothering to correct the nickname Luhan had called him on. He turned away from Luhan’s shining eyes, he couldn’t bring himself to say no to that.

Luhan smiled, dropping the thread on his hand as he played with the boy and the puppy.

At the end of the day there were no more threads wrapped around Luhan’s fingers, they seemed to have all gone away for some reasons. Wanting a nice hot bath, Luhan started walking back home.

The surrounding grew darker and darker. An eerie feeling crept up his spine until Luhan found himself in complete darkness.

“Mom? Dad?” He asked, voice suddenly no longer childish. “Where did you guys go?”

“I gave you them.” A voice said. “But you didn’t hold on.” A figure appeared, hooded hands holding onto the red threads Luhan had lost.

The scene shook violently and Luhan was met by the image of his parents, lying down covered with blood. A hand came from behind, grabbed him by the throat, choking Luhan in the process.

“And now they are dead.” Death spoke.

“You’re next.”

♔♜♔♜♔♜♔♜♔

His heart was beating as if he had just run a marathon. Sweat glistened his forehead and his breath came out in short pants.

Luhan looked around, heartbeat slowing a bit when he realized he was still in Sehun’s room with the younger sleeping soundly beside him.

He hadn’t had a bad dream in a while. Ever since he came to Seoul, everything had been quite peaceful. Too peaceful. Luhan could barely remember what it felt like to live on the tip of a knife everyday. He looked at his hands, where the threads had sat in his dream. The dream he just had was made from bits and pieces of his childhood, some of which Luhan had already forgotten, awoken just now.

You never know what you have until it’s gone.

His entire body relaxed as he fell back onto the mattress, a sob being forced back down his throat.

God knew how much Luhan craved for another chance, to hold on tight to all the threads he was given. To just hold on and never let go.

Sehun stirred beside Luhan, an arm reaching across the imaginary boundary Luhan had made, making contact with Luhan’s skin. Sensing something warm, Sehun pulled Luhan closer into an embrace.

Perhaps he was too tired, emotionally, Luhan didn’t bother to protest, he allowed the boy to curl up in a ball beside him, arms wrapped around Luhan’s waist.

Luhan stared at Sehun’s features, high nose bridge, pink lips, slightly slanted eyebrows… Looking back at his own hand, Luhan felt the presence of a new thread.

Sehun started snoring.

Luhan closed his hand, balling it into a fist.

This time, he will hold on tight, to protect the little there was left for him.

♔♜♔♜♔♜♔♜♔

Mornings were never peaceful with Oh Sehun.

“I am making omelet for breakfast.”

“But hyung, I want ramen.”

“No, omelet it is.”

“But–” Sehun tried to insist. “Ramen.”

“Omelet.”

“Ramen.”

“Omelet.”

“Ramen.”

“Omelet.”

“Ramen.”

“Omelet.”

The unhealthy conversation continued for a couple of rounds, until Luhan could stand it no longer.

“Ramen.”

“O. M. E. L. E. T. Omelet.” Said Luhan in between gritted teeth, pronouncing every syllable crisp and clear.

“Okay.” Surrendered Sehun, whose expression much resembled a puppy after it had been rejected his favorite food by his owner.

“Good boy,” Luhan offered a smile, happy to get this quarrel over with. Oblivious to the way Sehun’s face immediately brightened at his smile.

The two ate their breakfast in silence, much to Luhan’s delight, while Sehun was just glad to be able to taste Luhan’s cooking once more. Sehun watched as Luhan scooped another spoonful of eggs into his mouth, Sehun’s unstable morning hormones causing him to wonder what it’s like to kiss those lips right now and–

“Sehun?”

“Hmm?” Sehun shifted his gaze to look Luhan in the eye.

“Aren’t you putting a bit too much ketchup?”

Sehun automatically looked down, and let out a single yelp. It seemed that he had been too distracted by Luhan – mainly those kissable lips – and squeezed too much ketchup onto his omelet.

“Hyung–” Sehun looked up with puppy eyes, “can you–”

“Nope. You got to finish it.” Luhan interrupted, his tone filled with amusement.

Sehun’s shoulder deflated, he stared at his now ketchup covered omelet in defeat.

The two boys finished their breakfast quickly; Sehun had managed to eat his omelet after getting rid of the excess ketchup with the back of a knife. Sehun had agreed to do the dishes only with Luhan’s help even after Luhan had threatened to never cook again.

“You are unbelievable.” Luhan voiced as he wiped one of the dishes dry.

“Hmm,” Sehun only hummed, enjoying the presenc

Please log in to read the full chapter