Agent K, Master of Sass

CRI Academy
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

“People most often think of forensics as examination of body, but that isn’t it. In fact, criminalistics is one subdivision of forensic sciences. The terms criminalistics and forensic sciences are often confused and used interchangeably. Forensic sciences encompass a variety of scientific disciplines such as medicine, toxicology, anthropology, entomology, and of course, criminalistics.” Mr. Soh’s continuous blabbering echoed through the lecture hall. It was the last class before a long weekend, and Sehun was bored out of his mind. He sighed deeply, if there was one thing he hated about CRIA, it would be the forensic course. His brain just wouldn’t let him bend his way around the subject. In fact, Sehun’s lack of forensic knowledge was often what caused him to misinterpret a case, like last time.

“Evidence used in criminalistics can include biological evidence, trace evidence, impression evidence, controlled substances and ballistics. Biological evidence is usually bodily fluids such as and blood. Trace evidence are items like hair and fibers. Impression evidence like foot prints, impressions of car tires and fingerprints. Criminalistics is usually investigated in a crime lab!”

“Usually investigated in a crime lab!” Sehun quietly mocked Mr. Soh, impersonating his high excited pitch quite well. Behind him, Jongin snickered.

Unfortunately, that caught Mr. Soh’s attention. “Oh Sehun,” he called.

Sehun silently cursed, but still stood up. “Yes, professor.” God knows how much Mr. Soh hated students that don’t paying attention during his lectures. He’d be lucky to receive only a light scolding due to Mr. Soh’s favoritism of Sehun.

“Pay attention,” Sehun nodded and apologized before sitting back down again. Then he automatically looked to his right.

Luhan’s head was down; resting on his two arms with his shoulders slouched. The boy was sound asleep.

Not fair, Sehun cried on the inside. He looked back at Mr. Soh, who definitely didn’t seem to have a problem with Luhan sleeping during his class. Sehun doubt Mr. Soh did not spot Luhan sleeping, that man had the eyes of an eagle. Despite teaching a class of around one hundred students, he can always spot students that are slacking off.

I just hope he won’t fail the test. Unbeknownst by him, Sehun started caring for his ‘rival.’ Mr. Soh would always have a test prepared each class to test whether students were paying attention to his lectures. It was also a way to make students pay attention in class so they don’t fail the test, especially when the tests count as major summative. Sehun failed a couple of times to know how it feels like already, and for some reason, he didn’t want Luhan to fail.

Should I wake him up? Sehun debated in his head, a scowl mutated his lips at the thought of waking up his enemy. Nah, why should I care?

Time flied fast; with occasional glances back and forth between Luhan and the blackboard, then diverted back to Mr. Soh, the end of class came. 

“Students, put away your textbooks and notes, it’s time for our test.” Sehun watched as Mr. Soh started passing the paper around and turned his head towards Luhan again. The boy did not stir one bit.

Sighing, Sehun kicked the leg of the metal desk Luhan was lying on. The vibration of the metal sent the honey haired boy jerked up from his position. Just in time, the test was passed to him. He looked at it with a hint of annoyance and confusion so cute that made Sehun wanted to cry mercy. With a shrug, Luhan took a piece and passed it back.

Sehun silently prayed for Luhan before tearing his gaze back to his own test.

For the next ten minutes, only scribbling of pencils on papers could be heard. Occasionally someone would drop their erasers and had to go retrieve it, perhaps hoping to steal a few glance of their neighbor’s answers along the way. A few suppressed groans from students that were stuck on questions. But none of those caught Sehun’s attention, he too, was stuck.

The loud screech of chair against the floor was what made him raise his head up, so did many of the other students. Luhan stood up, fluidly and gracefully. He flung his backpack onto his back, grabbed his test, handed it to Mr. Soh, and walked out the door.

Sehun’s jaw dropped, the expression on his face could pass him as a fool right now. Murmurs were sent across the lecture hall.

“He finished already?”

“Wow.”

“Did he hand it in blank?”

No. Sehun saw, each of the question blanks were filled with neatly printed characters. He looked at the chair Luhan sat for a long time, eyes sparkling. Sehun had really gone crazy, all he could think of now was the way Luhan walked out the door, and how he calmly handed in his test. Sehun could feel his heartbeat escalating.

That was hot. So cool.

♔♜♔♜♔♜♔♜♔

“So did you find anything?”

“Not much,” using his side jaw and shoulder to hold the phone, Luhan took out some leftover of roasted duck and beef. “But I highly doubt that kid is a suspect.”

“Oh~ I see that you developed a crush on someone already.” On the other end of the line, Baekhyun joked.

“Shut up.” Luhan defended, now putting his food on the dining table. “I just can’t imagine someone like him murdering people.” It’s true, for someone like Sehun, who is cocky, inexperienced, and unintelligent – no offence to him – Luhan can’t quite see Sehun stabbing someone with a knife.

“But how would you know?”

“A detective’s instinct.” Luhan proudly stated, Baekhyun snorted at the other end. “Anyways,” he decided to change the topic, “I heard about your father, how is he doing?”

“Just an injured leg, nothing my old pop can’t handle,” Baekhyun said with a swing, but Luhan could sense the worries in his voice.

Luhan sighed. “You know it’d be much better if you FBIs can just tell me what I am really looking for.”

“I know,” Baekhyun replied. “But it’s the FBI, what do you expect?” He finished with a hearty laugh, and Luhan joined in. “At least they finally decided to give me a mission.”

“Oh?” Luhan raised a brow, “no more hiding behind the computers anymore, Agent K?”

“Yes and thank god.” He then started humming the tune ‘God Bless America’ which made Luhan laughed even more. “One of our FBI agents went missing while investigating SME. They need someone to go undercover, and my age is perfect for the job.”

“SME the criminal organization?” Somehow, Tao’s face flashed in Luhan’s head at the mention of that name.

“Yea, and I am really breaking the rules to tell you this Luhan.” Even though Baekhyun said so, Luhan heard no hesitation in his voice. “But the serial killing that occurred in Seoul, the case you are investigating; those two victims were FBI agents.”

♔♜♔♜♔♜♔♜♔

Luhan stared into the vacant space of the amusement park with a vanilla ice cream cone in hand.

The engines in his mind worked its way around the mystery, quickly piecing information together like a puzzle.

Two men were killed by a killer in Seoul. Those two men were FBI agents; correction, undercover FBI agents. That’s why Kris told him that the two victims were jobless middle age men and nothing more, the FBI must had covered their tracks up for the convenience of being undercover. But why, why would two FBI agents lurk around CRIA? Is it possible that Oh Sehun is the murder?

Wait, Luhan suddenly realized that he was jumping to conclusions. Let’s back up here, why did Baekhyun mention SME? The puzzle was missing a great piece, the piece that was connected and intertwined with every other one.

Feeling frustrated, he pulled his hair harshly. Luhan swore to himself that Baekhyun is going to get it for making him think from their conversation last night till 2 p.m. in the afternoon.

"What? They were FBI agents?"

Baekhyun nodded at the other end, then realizing Luhan couldn't see, he quickly replied with a yes. "Look, I really have to go and pack up now. My flight is in an hour and I have to rush in order to catch it. I'll tell you everything when I see you."

“But!”

“See you tomorrow!” with that, the line went dead.

Luhan was dragged out of his memory by a wet sensation on his right hand, he looked down. “,” Luhan swore loudly. The ice cream cone had half melted in his hand, its state no longer edible and thus leaving behind a sticky mess.

Asking to meet me in an amusement park on a hot day like this is a big no no. Luhan added that to his list of reasons to punish Baekhyun. Couples holding hands walked by him, making Luhan remembered how Kris had mocked him about still being single. Why do people come to the amusement park for a date anyways? I’d rather read mystery novels at the comfort of my own home. Discontent, Luhan channeled his anger back at Baekhyun. I hope his flight was delayed, ‘cause God knows how much he hates waiting; even better if his plane got jacked.

“Hey now, don’t curse your friend.” The familiar and detestable voice of Baekhyun sounded beside him.

“How would you know I was cursing you?” Luhan retorted. He raised his head to find his friend, Baekhyun. For once, his friend had decided to wear something normal, a plain shirt and blue jeans, but of course, the diva still had eyeliner on.

“Simple, your eyebrows does that crazy V thing when you’re annoyed or angry.” Baekhyun reasoned, holding out his right hand and made a V sign. “I took FBI’s private jet in case you’re wondering why I got here so early.”

“Well spill whatever you need to say or let it rot in your intestines.”

Amused by Luhan’s attitude, Baekhyun chuckled to himself. “Now don’t be a jerk.”

“Who’s the jerky one here?” Luhan bickered, quoting the ‘jerky’ part, silently making a reference to Baekhyun’s bacon nickname.

Baekhyun raised both of his hands, indicating that he surrendered. “Alright alright, do you want information of not?”

♔♜♔♜♔♜♔♜♔

Sehun sat on the edge of the wooden bench, while Kyungsoo and Jongin sat at the other end, cuddling with each other. Sehun sighed deeply, why is he here in the first place? To be a third wheeler? He’d rather be at home, sobbing and lamenting about his lost heart and newfound love with his cat than ing.

Out of all the places, they decided to have a date in an amusement park. Sehun doesn’t get the reason of couples setting their dates in amusement parks. What can you do here? Kiss each other in the middle of a ride? No, Sehun much rather set his date in his own house, or the library. Where they can silently read mystery novels and occasionally exchange a few thoughts of their own on the case. Or Sehun could just talk about his obsession with LN, but he doubted Luhan would like that…

Wait. Sehun’s train of thought suddenly died when he realized what he was thinking. What am I thinking? Stop thinking of him! He bonked his head repeatedly while cursing. Stop it, stop it, stop it.

“Sehun, are you okay?” Like usual, Kyungsoo noticed Sehun’s abnormal behavior firsthand. “Why are you hitting yourself?”

“He probably realized that he’s already stupid enough to become even more idiotic.”

Sehun growled at Jongin.  “You know what? I am going to take a walk by myself.” Sehun stood up and walk away, he could hear Kyungsoo calling from behind but decided to ignore it.

He swiftly turned at one corner, skillfully avoiding yet another couple walking towards him. Then, the sound of crying caught his attention. Sehun looked around and found the source of the cry; it was a little girl standing alone in the middle of a small moving crowd.

He quickly walked over. “Are you okay?” Sehun bent down in order to reach the same level as the girl.

But the little girl only spared him a glance and cried even louder. Sehun was thrown into flurry by the girl

Please log in to read the full chapter