The Last Supper

CRI Academy
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The clouds seemed like they were fighting over for a spot in the gray sky, thunders rumbling, perhaps getting angry at the unpredictable weather. In fact, the entire sky was growling, suppressing something ugly just waiting to be released. The air was slightly stuffy and suffocating that Luhan had to close the window of his car, it looked like it was going to rain soon. One thing Luhan disliked about spring was the way it can change its face like a six year old, unforeseen, radiating torrid happiness and immediately crying two seconds later.

Lying on the shotgun seat was the letter Luhan had just received yesterday. The letter looked like it had just been dipped in a pool of blood in the dimly lit car, the ogreish feeling it gives off slightly getting on Luhan’s nerves.

He sighed.

Nobody liked to be striped of the opportunity of a relaxing weekend, especially after all the Luhan had been through this week, it was stressful and tiring for him both physically and mentally. Still the letter had caught his interest; Luhan felt that if he didn’t go he would miss out on something important. He had always trusted his instincts; it got him out of many hells and troubles before.

The car climbed up the hills circling the mountain in a twenty degree angle, a tad bit dangerous for other drivers but not Luhan. He was driving a white Audi R8 Kris gave him the day he arrived, which was also the day he left. Luhan didn’t wanted to refuse, plus he rather enjoyed free things so he accepted the gift from his ‘generous’ boss.

Luhan believed he owned it to the built in GPS in his car to bring him to this place, or else he’d be another lost pup wandering in the forest.

Sitting on top of the hill was merely a parking space; there was another car there which Luhan assumed was the owner’s. A Ferrari, he took notice of the car logo and decided the owner must be very rich, and what he saw next confirmed his belief.

An enormous castle sat on another mountain top right next to the parking lot, with the thundering and gray clouds in the background it might as well be taken as those Dracula castles in horror movies. A single sturdy yet dangerous looking bridge made out of wood and rope connected the castle and the hill Luhan stood on. Luhan stride his way across the bridge, not the least bit scared when the bridge wobbled due to the incoming wind. He wondered whether or not the owner of the place liked thrillers and adventures. Luhan doubted a scaredy-cat would live in a place like this. The doorknob was made from some high quality red wood; Luhan paused to give it a look before ringing the doorbell.

The door opened without a sound, not even the slightest creak that normal wooden doors would make. Luhan was first greeted by the fresh airy feel of the inside before he noticed the maid standing in front of her.

“Good evening,” Luhan greeted out of courtesy.

The maid greeted back, bowing in a ninety degree angle. “You must be here for that too,” she said in a curious tone that made Luhan wondered. “There are others that came before you here already. Please, come inside.”

Luhan took a careful step forward, taking off his outdoor shoes and into the comfy slippers the maid had just taken out. “Who do you mean by others,” he asked politely.

“Luhan?” The maid’s reply was no longer needed when another voice answered Luhan’s question, he turned and spotted an equally surprised and curious Sehun.

“What are you doing here?” They both asked in unison.

Sehun scratched his scalp, still feeling a little bit embarrassed whenever he sees Luhan. “Jongin, Kyungsoo and I all got the same letter about the place so we came to check it out.” He spoke in a rush, slowing down only to ask Luhan the same question.

“The same as you,” Luhan replied shortly, sinking into his own thoughts.

“Um,” Sehun hesitated, unsure of how to continue the conversation anymore. “Do you want to go see how Jongin and Kyungsoo are doing?” He offered awkwardly.

Luhan nodded and followed Sehun.

“Oh by the way, Hanbyul is here too. Do you know him?”

Luhan shook his head even though he knew perfectly well who the name belonged to, that name on the suspect list that still hadn’t been crossed out yet.

“Well, he’s a funny guy, I am sure you will grow to like him.”

Jongin was busy arguing with someone in the living room, Kyungsoo and Hanbyul standing at the side looking as confused as ever, a middle age man who Luhan supposed was the butler judging from the clothes he wore stood by the entrance.

“What do you mean you didn’t send us the letters?” Jongin’s eyebrows were folded in a way that only happens when he is very annoyed or angry.

“I told you I didn’t send them and my servants didn’t either, you must have been prank on. Go home boy.” The owner said, patience running thin.

Kyungsoo was the first to take notice of Luhan. His eyes trailed away from the two and landed on Luhan, letting out a little yelp then a tiny smile, “oh, Luhan-sshi1.”

Successfully catching the others attention, Luhan now bathed in the stares of individuals. Nodding at Kyungsoo, Luhan showed his recognition before walking towards the other stranger in the room. “Hi, my name is Luhan,” he spoke formally yet confidently, “was it you who sent this letter?”

Already been pestered by the same question before, the owner was tired of repeating himself. However, he still took the letter Luhan held before him and opened it.

The hard paper card fell on the carpet floor; no sounds were heard except for the man’s harsh breathing. Luhan was about to pester until the owner yelled, “werewolf, werewolf! It’s real, it’s real!” He collapsed onto the floor, knees trembling.

“What’s real?” Luhan demanded.

The owner waved him off, calling the butler over. “Jinho, take the guests to the guest rooms, call them when dinner is ready.”

♔♜♔♜♔♜♔♜♔

Sehun was sure something was off about the letter.

He knew his own popularity as a detective and he admitted that it was only within a portion of Seoul. For someone outside of Seoul to send Sehun such a letter just spelt suspicious for him, especially when he had known Kyungsoo and Jongin had also received the same letter.

“Let’s give it a try.” Jongin offered, Kyungsoo agreed because heck it was Jongin that asked, while Sehun was a little bit hesitant about it. He was glad he came now though, or else he wouldn’t be able to see Luhan till Monday.

The butler led them to a hallway with multiple doors and gestured them to the last five. “Please help yourselves. The maid will give you a call when dinner is prepared.” He bowed and quickly left.

“This is exciting,” Hanbyul spoke. He was the first to arrive at the castle. “I feel like I am in one of those movies.”

Jongin shrugged and went into the farthest room of the hall; Kyungsoo followed and took the room beside it. Luhan went in the room across Jongin and Sehun seized the chance to take the room beside Luhan’s.

For Sehun this was a perfect opportunity to get closer to Luhan, he could almost imagine him and Luhan getting closer over this event. Sehun chuckled out loud as he thought of different schemes to do so in his head.

His imagination only allowed him to develop one idea before someone knocked on his door. Sehun assumed it was the maid calling him for dinner and it was.

The owner was already sitting at the head seat of the large dining table. His brows were knitted together, kind of like Luhan when he thinks, except less attractive.

“We have two other guests.” Soon Luhan, Jongin, Kyungsoo and Hanbyul came in and the owner finally spoke up, sounding a little bit squeakier than earlier. “They went to their rooms and should be joining us soon.”

“Who are they?” Hanbyul asked curiously.

“Two young ladies.”

“Fancy seeing you guys here,” a new voice joined the conversation.

“Victoria-sunbae and Krystal-sshi.” Once again, Kyungsoo was the first to address them.

Exchange of greetings filled the room for the next minute. Luhan frowned at the growing uneasiness from his gut feeling; his sixth sense nagging him about something.

“Did you receive the letter too?” Hanbyul asked once again.

Victoria nodded.

“We both got it and decide to come over together,” Krystal stated, “there was a little accident on our way here and Victoria-unnie had to change the gas. Did we miss anything?”

“Not really, we will fill you in later.”

“Please, shall we begin our feast?” We invite you, Detective Luhan, to the feast of the Full Moon. The owner gestured the guests to take their seats and the chief came out pushing a cart of food, followed by the maid with another cart of food.

Individuals dipped their heads in thanks as food was placed before them, it was indeed a feast. Scrumptious beef, chicken, vegetable… Luhan eyed the beef sitting in front of him and slowly picked up the silverwares.

Silver…

“I see that you made the steaks Medium Rare this time.” The owner sliced a piece of the beef in his place with the silver knife on his right hand.

“Yes, just the way you like it.” The chief responded politely and the owner nodded, placing the slice of beef into his opened mouth.

Dare you to come, and experience the slaughter of tributes.

Luhan pounced. The chair he was sitting on just seconds ago fell backwards with a loud bang. The owner chewed on the meat as he watched Luhan’s action wide eyed. If he was going to make a judgment about being rude, he never got the chance to.

Now face planted on the surface of the table, fingers twitching, the owner made gagging noises.

“Call the police, now!” Luhan shouted.

“Zip-zap,” the whole castle fell into darkness just as the demand left Luhan’s lips.

There was a scream, a clap of thunder, then silence.

Ten seconds. Luhan counted. It took ten seconds and the lights made tiny vooming noises, like a dozen of annoying flies, and went back to life, instantly illuminating the dining room.

Luhan grasped the jaw of the owner, lifting his head to the side. He heard the maid letting out a gasp as she saw the horrid looking face of her master.

No breathing.

Luhan removed the two fingers placed before the owner’s nose and leaned into his face a little bit more.

Almond.

Instant death, almond scent. Cyanide pill.

“Cyanide poisoning,” Luhan stated. “He’s dead

Please log in to read the full chapter