Mother Dearest

[Part 2] The Rapper's Club

“Daddy, I’m hungry. What’s for breakfast?”

I heard Min Ki talking, but I was too sleepy to answer him. My half conscious brain didn’t even process that he was talking to CAP and not to me until I felt CAP moving around on the bed. I decided to pretend I was still sleeping to see how he would react.

“Why don’t we go downstairs and find something? We’ll bring your mother something back too,” CAP suggested.

Min Ki cheered and there was a thump that I assumed meant he’d jumped out of the bed. There was a bit of rustling before the door opened and clicked shut. I counted to five before sitting up. The morning was already starting off differently than I’d thought. Sure it was just breakfast, but entertaining a three year old first thing in the morning is not exactly the easiest task but CAP had just handled it like a pro. He’d been hesitant last night, but maybe he was starting to warm up to the idea.

While the boys were gone, I took a shower and started packing up my things. After formally introducing CAP, my mom was going to watch Min Ki while I made my new place habitable. CAP and I also had to go see his boss and his boys. I’m sure Mama CAP was on the lookout for us too. I was already tired just thinking about what needed to be done.

“Mama!”

Min Ki announced their return with a giant grin on his face. He was carrying a cup of what looked like apple juice. CAP was a few steps behind him with his arms full of mini boxes of cereal and other breakfast items.

“Good morning,” I said to them both. One side of CAP’s mouth came up in greeting while Min Ki sorted through the cereal.

“This one’s for you Mama,” Min Ki said, handing me a box of Frosted Flakes. “Me and Daddy got the same one.” He handed CAP a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch that matched the box in his lap. “Wait, we didn’t get a bowl.”

CAP smiled. “Let me show you a trick,” he told the little boy. He grabbed one of the coffee mugs sitting on the counter and poured half the box of cereal into it along with some milk. “This is how you eat cereal when you’re in a hurry.”

Min Ki’s eyes went wide. He was so impressed you could see the awe in his eyes. The three of us ate our breakfast in companionable silence and when we finished, CAP turned to me.

“Who are we going to see first?” he asked.

“It depends on your schedule. What do you have to do?”

“I told the boss I had big news for him, so he cancelled everything. He’s ready when we are.”

“Who’s scarier, your boss or your mom?”

He thought for a moment before answering, “My boss.”

“Well, Mama CAP it is then.” I turned to Min Ki who was finishing off his juice. “Come on Minnie, time to get ready for the day.”

******

“Mama, I brought a couple friends with me to see you,” CAP called thorugh the house. He stayed near the front of the house with Min Ki and directed me to his mom’s room. I was nervous like nobody’s business. Mama CAP wasn’t exactly the kind to hold her tongue. She was in better health than she’d been in when we’d met before so there was no telling how she was going to react.

“Who is it?” she asked.

I stepped from around the corner, trying not to hold my breath. “Hi Mama CAP.”

Her eyebrows raised halfway up her forehead. “Well look what the cat dragged in. To what do I owe this visit?”

“I wanted to see how you were doing,” I said.

“I’m fine. I’m still waiting on that son of mine to give me some grandchildren. How long has it been since you left? Four years, right?”

“Yes ma’am, but um…speaking of grandchildren, Minsoo and I have something to tell you.”

CAP had been hiding somewhere nearby and came around the corner, holding Min Ki’s hand. Mama CAP’s eyes were the size of quarters as she stared at the three of us.

“Mama, who’s that?” Min Ki asked.

“This is your granny. Say hi.”

“Excuse me? Did you just say what I think you said?”

“Mama, this is Min Ki,” CAP said slowly. “Min Ki is my son.”

“Son?” she repeated. “As in, my grandson?”

“Yes ma’am,” I said timidly.

“Minsoo, come here.” CAP walked over to his mother’s side. She reached up in what seemed like slow motion and popped him one good time in the back of his head. He winced and rubbed the spot. Min Ki wasn’t sure whether or not he should laugh but I let out a snicker. Mama CAP was definitely not playing. “Why didn’t you two tell me sooner?” she demanded.

“I didn’t know until yesterday,” he said.

“That means you could have told me twenty four hours ago.” She rolled her eyes. “Have I raised you to keep secrets from your mother? You know I’ve been wanting news like this since you were born. Now you’ve put me behind in spoiling the child. What’s his name again? Min Ki, right?” She stopped fussing at us and turned her attention to the aforementioned child. “Min Ki, come here. Come to Nana.”

Min Ki looked at me to see if was okay. I gave him a gentle push towards the woman and took a few steps forward. “Hello.”

“Hi little one.”

“I’m Min Ki.”

“Well Min Ki, I’m your Nana. Do you think you can call me that from now on?”

He nodded once. “Why did you hit Daddy?”

“Don’t you worry your little head about that. He did something bad so he had to get punished.”

“Okay.”

It seemed all was forgiven now that she’d had a chance to talk to Min Ki, but I was pretty sure she was saving up her strength to tell us off when the child wasn’t around. Revealing a secret you’ve been hiding four years doesn’t just go that smoothly, especially not in my life. For the moment, I just watched as Min Ki and his grandmother interacted.

“We should get going,” CAP said after a while. “We’ve got a meeting with my boss.”

“Do you have to go?”

“Yes ma’am,” I told her. “I have to start cleaning the house if I plan on sleeping there tonight.”

“Oh, are you two moving in together? When are you getting married?”

I looked at CAP. Your mother, you answer, I thought towards him.

“I already told you, I’m not getting married,” CAP answered gently.

“Yes you are. You just don’t know it yet,” she said. She gave me a look that suggested that she knew something I didn’t. The atmosphere got a little awkward so I picked Min Ki up, said my goodbyes, and headed towards the door. I could hear CAP and his mom talking about something else but I pushed it out of my mind. Besides, we had bigger fish to fry-namely Mr. Andy Lee.