Fast Forward

[Part 2] The Rapper's Club

Let’s fast forward a few years, shall we? I know, I know, it seems like we’re skipping over a lot, but to make a long story short: CAP and I got married. Apparently, Mama CAP knew her son better than anyone.  About a week after Baro left for basic training, CAP popped the question and of course I said yes. We didn’t have some big ceremony though. We literally went and got some papers signed, but we did have a huge party.

All of CAP’s boys were there, along with Andy, surprisingly. Minho showed up with a present and of course P.O was there to pick at me like he really was my little brother for tying the knot. My mom and CAP’s were in a corner alternating between crying and demanding more grandchildren. I think Min Ki’s favorite part was the cake.

That was all eleven years ago. Can you believe how time flies? Seriously though, Min Ki is fifteen now. He’s inherited his father’s capacity for drawing and stays as observant as ever.  I’ve yet to figure out where he got that ability, but it’s useful in his studies so I can’t complain about it like I could.

(Where’s Baro? I can almost see you thinking that. Calm down, we’re getting to that part.)

“CAP…we’re going to have to tell him eventually.”

“I know, but is right now the best time? Tomorrow’s a big day for him.”

“I’d rather he hear it from us than anywhere else.”

CAP sighed and started walking towards Min Ki’s room. “Fine. Let’s tell him.”

Min Ki was smoothing his new school uniform reverently, like he couldn’t believe that it was his. Tomorrow was his first day of high school and even though he kept bouncing up and down like he was full of sugar, I could tell that he was nervous as well. Maybe there was a better time to give him the news were about to share, but it was too late to turn back now.

“Min Ki, son, your mother and I need to talk to you about something important.”

Min Ki sat down at his desk while CAP and I sat on the bed. CAP looked at me as if to say ‘the floor is yours’ and I took a deep breath before speaking.

“Minnie…you know you’re a good kid, right?”

He nodded.

“Your father and I want you to know that no matter what, we’ll be there for you.”

“Oh my God, are you two giving me away or something? You’re making me really nervous.”

“No Minnie!” I cried. “It’s nothing like that.”

“What is it then?”

Ugh. Why is it so hard to talk to my own kid? I glanced at CAP and my thought was echoed in his eyes. “What we wanted to tell you is that we’re getting a divorce.”

Min Ki was silent for a moment. He cocked his head to the side and looked at us with one eyebrow raised.

“Is that all?” he finally asked. “I thought you were sending me to live with Uncle Niel or you were having another kid or something.”

“You aren’t fazed by this at all?” CAP asked, voicing my though.

“Nope,” Min Ki said. “You think I haven’t noticed that you two almost never spend time together? Daddy’s been out with the long haired lady and Mama’s been eating strawberry ers again. You’ve both been seeing other people for a while now. I thought you were already divorced.”

Well damn. CAP and I had twin looks of embarrassment at being called out by our teenaged son, but then again, that’s what we got for trying to be slick. The kid was magic when it came to noticing the little details. What made us think we even had a chance at hiding our affairs from him?

“Are you okay Minnie?” I asked him. “I mean, with your dad and I breaking up?”

He nodded. “Mom, I’m a high school student now. Stop calling me Minnie,” he whined. “And I’m fine with it. You two are nowhere near the horror movie level I heard from some of the guys in the neighborhood. You guys are civil with each other.” He shifted a stack of books on his desk. “Besides, Uncle Chunji already told me you guys were only staying together because of me.”

“Did he now?” CAP asked. “Why did he tell you that?”

“He was showing me old videos and stories and stuff from you guys were performing and there was this picture of mama kissing the squirrel man from a long time ago. I asked Uncle Chunji who the guy was and he said, and I quote, that he was the man mama would have been with if she hadn’t gotten caught up with daddy.”

I snorted before I could help myself. That damn Chunji was something else, but he did have a point. “The squirrel man’s name is Baro,” I told him.

“Is what Uncle Chunji said true?”

I nodded slowly. “In a way, although I will say that I didn’t get ‘caught up’ with your father.”

“So you really did love him?”

I looked at CAP, who was looking back at me as though he wanted to hear the answer too. “I still love your father,” I corrected gently, “but we’ve both come to the conclusion that we aren’t doing anyone any favors by pretending that this is what we want. We’re really close friends and I think that’s all we’re ever going to be.”

“Your mother is right,” CAP continued. “At first, it was like any new relationship-it was all passion and excitement-”

“Can you not use words like passion when talking about you and mom? I can only handle so much,” Min Ki broke in.

“Anyway, it started out high, but once I retired and we had the time to actually be together we realized we were just going through the motions. Our minds were telling us that we had this family and we all needed to stick together, but neither of our hearts were in it. Do you understand?”

“Yep,” Min Ki said. “You shouldn’t have gotten married in the first place.”

I popped the back of his head. “That smart mouth of yours is going to get you in trouble one day,” I said sternly.

He rubbed the back of his head. “It was Uncle P.O. that said it first.”

“Excuse me?”

“He said that daddy proposed just to get his mom to leave him alone and you accepted to keep your mind off Baro.”

“What else did your uncles have to say about anything?” CAP asked.

“They told me never to repeat anything negative they said or they’d be dead and I would be in trouble too.”

“Nobody likes a snitch, Minnie, remember that, but your uncles are totally dead. Especially that P.O. kid. Wait til I get my hands on him…”

“Mama…you’re scaring me.”

“She’s harmless,” CAP said. “Her bark is worse than her bite.”

“You’ve never been on the receiving ends of one of her punishments, have you?”

“Go to bed child of mine. You have a big day tomorrow,” I cut in.

“But-”

“No buts. If you want to talk anymore, we’ll do it when you get home.”

“Okay,” he said dejectedly. “Good night parents.”

“Good night Minnie,” I called.

CAP nodded towards Min Ki and we left the room. We sat down next to each other on the couch and CAP turned to MBC where some new reality show was starting.

“I think…I want to meet this girlfriend of yours. Since he knows about her and Baro, don’t you think he should meet them?”

“There’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you about my girlfriend.”

“What is it?”

“First of all, it’s not the same girl from before. She’s actually someone you know.”

My face scrunched up as I wracked my brain. Someone I knew? CAP was dating someone I knew? There was no way in hell he was dating Tonya or Eun Mi. I’m sure that would have come up sometime in the past few years. Who had long hair that I knew? Maybe it was Hyuna? That would be awkward since she did used to teach Min Ki. I gave up worrying about it and turned back to the show. I’d find out soon enough.