Sinking In

[Part 2] The Rapper's Club

Baro was the first one to react. He turned to CAP, took his hands, and looked him dead in the eye. “Congratulations.” Nothing else, just that one word. He then stood up, brushed his hands over his jeans, and left. He didn’t look back at me or anything. I wasn’t sure how I felt about his behavior because I was still trying to process everything else. CAP was Min Ki’s father. How fitting.

“Are you okay?” I heard CAP ask me. I nodded dumbly.

“I’m still letting it sink in.”

“I guess you’re really disappointed.”

“How could you say that?” Okay, so I wasn’t jumping up and down with joy, but I wasn’t exactly disappointed. “It’s a bit of a shock, that’s all.”

“We should go somewhere else and talk about this.”

I agreed and we left together. Min Ki didn’t seem to sense that everything had changed and he was usually an observant child. CAP drove to the one place I would have never thought of- Chan Hee’s place. It made a lot of sense though. No one here would overhear something they shouldn’t. Besides, Chan Hee and Jin Ae were family. On top of that, they were probably on pins and needles waiting to hear the news.

“Jin Jin,” Min Ki said when he pulled up.

“Huh?”

“Jin Jin lives here.”

“You remember Jin Ae?” I asked.

He nodded as I got him out of the backseat, making a mental note to add a car seat to my list of things to get. The three of us made our way to the front door and Jin Ae let us in quickly. Min Ki almost knocked her over when he toddled over to her and attached himself to one of her legs.

“Hi Jin Jin,” he said. “We went to the park today and I played with some other kids and then me and mama rode the bus to this place where they put the cotton stick in my mouth and I talked to the nurse and-”

“Slow down little one. What are you talking about?” Jin Ae asked.

“We got the test results today,” I answered.

“I’m guessing CAP here is our little one’s father?”

I nodded.

“Well CAP, how do you feel about fatherhood?”

“I-I’m not quite sure yet.”

Chan Hee came out of his office, took one look at the situation, and slowly started nodding at us. He gave CAP ‘the look’ and I was grateful that for once it wasn’t directed towards me. The men disappeared into the office and Jin Ae and I chatted while Min Ki wandered around the lobby.

“How did the other one react, the squirrelly boy?”

“He…” How was I supposed to explain him? I just shrugged. “He told CAP congratulations and he left.”

“That’s all?”

“That’s all.”

“Are you okay?”

“I guess. I haven’t had enough time to think about it.”

“What about the little one?”

“I don’t think he quite understands what’s going on, but I’m sure he’ll start getting it soon. I mean, we’ll probably be talking about it a lot in the next few days.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, we have to tell my mom and Sungmin, plus CAP’s mom…his boss and by extension his group mates.”

Jin Ae nodded sympathetically and the men came out. CAP looked a bit uneasy but Chan Hee was smiling like nothing happened. As long as I wasn’t called into the office then I really didn’t care.

“Mama, I’m tired.” Min Ki walked up to me rubbing his eyes. I stood up and picked him up with me.

“Okay Minnie. Let’s go home.”

I nodded to CAP and we said our goodbyes before leaving. When we got back to the hotel Min Ki asked the one question I hadn’t been expecting.

“Is Daddy staying with us tonight?”

I froze in my tracks. How exactly was I supposed to answer that? I glanced at CAP who’d heard the child’s question and was staring at him. He looked at me and I just looked back like ‘what am I supposed to say’?

“Daddy, are you staying with us?” Min Ki asked. His eyes went really wide and innocent.

“He called me-” CAP’s voice faded out like he couldn’t make himself say the word. I was a little astonished as well but I wanted to know what CAP was going to say. “Is that what you want?” he asked me.

“I-That’s up to you,” I finally said.

He seemed to think about it for a moment. “What room are you staying in? I’ll come back later.”

I gave him the information he needed and went up to the room. By the time I got Min Ki settled there was a knock on the door. I let CAP in and he set his duffle bag down by the door.

“Are you sure about this? We don’t have to jump into anything right away,” he said.

“Min Ki wants his father to spend the night with him. I don’t see any harm in that. Besides, we can talk about our relationship before we go talk to your mother tomorrow.”

He gave me a half smile and we both got ready for bed. It was a bit of a tight squeeze to have the three of us on the standard double bed but I had to admit to myself that it was kind of nice to have my little family together.