D-10

The Price of Falling in Love with an Angel

 

                                    

 

 

You woke up feeling dizzy. You looked around your room. The sky outside was already a dark blue. A few hours must already pass since you felt asleep in your cry. The bedside lamp was lit dimly. You wonder if Daehyun made it like that. You wiped your eyes several times and saw Youngjae reading a book on the chair next to your bed.

“Oh noona, you woke up?” Youngjae closed his book and diverted his attention towards you.

Just how you wished you had no idea who Youngjae is. And that the conversation you eavesdropped few hours ago was nothing but just a nightmare.

You straightened your body and looked around.

“Where is Daehyun? I thought we still have 10 days left,” your voice croaked.

You saw Youngjae flinched at your words.

“I know about it. I heard your conversation with Daehyun,” you could feel tears were going to fall again but you mustered every bit of your strength left and held it in.

“I don’t know. Maybe he went to relax his mind somewhere. But he is not here,” he said softly.

“Youngjae sshi,” you wanted to say more but were cut off when Youngjae interrupted.

“Noona, just call me Youngjae. No need for the ‘sshi’.” Youngjae smiled. You wonder if all angels could flash a warm smile, but just like Daehyun, Youngjae spread warmth into you when he smiled.

You smiled back at him faintly. Strangely, just like how you felt about Daehyun before, you felt familiar looking at Youngjae but you could not recall the memory of knowing him before.

“But Youngjae ya. You know what? When I first discovered Daehyun’s existence, I felt this strange familiarity, and I felt the same looking at you,” you finally managed to ask this. You have been dying to ask Daehyun about this but somehow you always forgot to ask him.

“Noona! You really can’t remember us????!” Youngjae looked at you in disbelief. In a blink of an eye, Youngjae appeared next to you. You wonder if Youngjae is the better angel compared to Daehyun because Youngjae seemed to be the more defined angel judging by his abilities.

Youngjae pressed his palm on yours. The familiar warmth spread in your arms, up to your head.

“You two filthy beggars! Don’t come here and show your faces everyday! Go somewhere else!!” an old man’s voice barking echoed throughout the alley.

You saw your nine years old self peeping at the two even younger boys as they kept their heads down after being scolded by the old man.

The two boys walked away from the shop. You tiptoed, following them from behind.

“Daehyun aa. No food again, today?” one of the boys asked.

“It’s okay! We’ll try to ask some more, Youngjae. Don’t lose hope!” Daehyun tried to encourage Youngjae but you knew even Daehyun was not so sure himself.

You felt your cheeks hot with tears rolling down. Not the young you, but the real you.

The young you walked faster, trying to catch up with the young Daehyun and Youngjae. The boys turned their bodies away; to your directions so abruptly you almost crash into them.

The boys scanned you from top to toe. You felt yourself blushed.

“Let’s go. She’s just another rich girl,” Daehyun walked pass you, pushing you using his body.

Youngjae just followed.

“Jamkkanman! Wait!” you screamed at them.

Both of them stopped dead and looked at you.

“Can you guys follow me?” you asked shyly. Not knowing how to refuse such a cute girl, they just followed.

You brought them to the nearby playground. You saw your parents there, all kind of foods served on the mat. When they saw you and the two boys, they waved and smiled at the three of you. You ran towards you parents and the two boys were unsure of what to do but you saw your mother stood up and went close to the boys. She embraced the boys and brought them to where you and your father sat.

Awkwardly, they joined your family. You father smiled at them encouragingly and you started to eat the food and although shy, Youngjae and Daehyun started to dig in.

You saw tears rolled down your mother’s cheeks when she saw them eating like that. It was honestly heart-breaking when you saw Youngjae was crying when he eat the foods. Your mom brought him closer to her and hugged Youngjae tightly.

“Anna ya. You should have brought them to omma and appa sooner,” your mother said softly to you.

“Mianhae omma. But I just saw them a few days ago. I tried to talk to them but he always ran away from me,” you said pointing at Daehyun. Daehyun hung his head low and said sorry.

“It’s okay. As long as we are now here,” your father patted Daehyun’s small shoulders.

“May I know your name?” your mother asked Youngjae and Daehyun.

“I’m Youngjae. I’m 6 years old,” Youngjae said while his mouth is still full with kimbab. Your mother kissed his forehead.

“I’m Daehyun, 7 years old,” Daehyun said after Youngjae.

“Oh! I’m Yoo Anna. Since I’m 9 years old, call me noona!” you said, proud that you are older than them.

“Eung, arasso noona!” Youngjae nodded enthusiastically.

Daehyun was the quiet type, acting matured as he took the role as the hyung for Youngjae. He also nodded. Your mother moved closer to Daehyun. She took his hands into hers and kissed it. Truly touched but your mother’s action, you realized that tears wet Daehyun’s eyes. Your mother hugged him tightly.

“Daehyun aa, Youngjae ya. From today, call Anna noona, call me omma and call him appa, arasso? We will bring both of you into our house. We will do it legally and both of you will be our sons. Okay?” Daehyun was now sobbing and Youngjae followed him.

“Omma, can’t they just come with us now?” you asked you mother.

“Of course they can! After this, let’s go back to our home,” you mother said and your father smiled happily.

“But, I have to go back to the old house. I need to get my teddy!” Youngjae said.

“Mr Yoo and Mrs Yoo, can we go back there and say goodbye to our friends first?” Daehyun finally said.

“Call us omma and appa. Yes you can. How about this? Both of you go back to the house, clean up your things and take all the belongings. Tomorrow, we’ll meet again, and after that, we’ll live together, forever!” you father suggested.

Youngjae and Daehyun nodded and they both stood up, bowing and saying thank you non-stop. And soon after, they both disappeared; running to their poor orphanage home.

**The scenes changed from the playground to the in front of the poor orphanage building**

You saw yourself and your parents were wearing excited face as the three of you get down from the car. The three of you were about to cross the street when Youngjae and Daehyun called out enthusiastically from the other side. You saw them carrying some stuff with them. Youngjae was so cute with his teddy bear clutching tight to his chest. Daehyun hold Youngjae’s free hand.

Your father asked you and your mother to wait there as he wanted to get the two boys. But, the next thing happened in a great, confusing motion. Before your father could cross the street, you saw Youngjae ran, dragging Daehyun along with him. Not looking at the street, the two boys dashed forward excitedly and that’s it. That was the last smiling faces of the boys you ever saw. Next thing you know, your father ran frantically towards them and you saw your mother kneeled down and cried profusely. Soon, the street was busy with people stopping by to look around.

Daehyun and Youngjae were killed when a lorry crashed straight into them. Your mother put you in the car, not allowing you to see the blood-spilled accident scene. You knew what happened and you cried profusely. Your head sank into your knees.

**The scene changed again to somewhere you’ve never seen before**

You did not see your younger self anywhere, but you saw the two younger Daehyun and Youngjae there. Unlike before, they were so clean and tidy and all white. Suddenly someone else appeared out of nowhere, he looked kind and warm and the two boys did not feel afraid of the stranger.

“Daehyun and Youngjae, since both of you were good boys on Earth, we the Angels of the Heaven ascend your pure souls right onto the Heaven!” the angel smiled warmly at the two confused boys.

“We’re dead?” Youngjae asked blatantly.

“Umm, when the lorry crashed both of you, your soul left your body,” the angel said calmly.

“Ah, so we are not meeting Anna noona or omma and appa anymore?” Daehyun muttered silently.

“I guess not. But both of you are in heaven now,”

“I want to see noona, omma and appa” you saw Youngjae started to cry.

The angel stayed silence for a while. He pondered for a few minutes and since Youngjae’s tears did not show any sign of slowing down, the angel kneeled to level his eyes with the two boys.

“Both of you can be guardian angels. That way, you can be close to them,”

Yougjae stopped crying immediately and looked at the angel with his attractive, curious eyes. Daehyun lifted his up too hearing that and asked, “How?”

“You can be guardian angels, but you can’t stay in heaven. You have to follow your human-partner all the time. Once your human-partner dies, both of you will be free from your duty,” the angel explained.

“I want to be a guardian angel,” Daehyun said a bit too loud he quickly looked down at his feet again.

The angel chuckled softly and stood at his feet again. He looked at Youngjae.

“I want to be with noona, omma and appa,” he bit his lips nervously.

“OK fine, then. Choose your human-partner,” the angel finally said.

“I like omma and appa,” Youngjae said enthusiastically.

“Only one, little angel,” the angel said softly.

“Appa, mian. But I choose to be omma’s angel since omma is so good,” Youngjae’s voice sounded guilty. You could not help but smiled seeing Youngjae like that.

“Then, I’ll be noona’s,” Daehyun said nervously. Youngjae looked at Daehyun.

“Should I choose noona earlier?” Youngjae shook his head, unsure with his choice.

The angel nodded. He lowered himself again to face Daehyun.

“But, remember, you can never fall in love with a human,” his voice is calm but there’s obvious warning in it.

Daehyun nodded, confidently.

“Fine, Daehyun and Youngjae, both of you can go back to Earth as guardian angels. You can come back here anytime, but you can’t live in Heaven unless your duty as guardian angels is over. And if, you break the rules as guardian angels, you’ll be punished accordingly,” the angel put his hands on Daehyun’s and Youngjae’s shoulders. And soon, both of them were on Earth again, in your old house; where you and your parents planned to live together as a family with Daehyun and Youngjae.

The next scenes appeared one by one, in a fast motion. You saw the angels Youngjae and Daehyun grew up just like you.

Youngjae became this one handsome man. His eyes were just like before, curious and mesmerizing; always there with your mother. And Daehyun grew up to be this amazing, bright young men. Maybe he was always hungry as a human before, he developed this habit of eating a lot as an angel.

The scene moved fast to when your parents died in a car crash. You saw yourself cried helplessly. But there were Youngjae and Daehyun; not leaving your sides at all. Not for a second.

“Youngjae ya, now you are a free angel,” Daehyun said to Youngjae.

Youngjae nodded. “I don’t want to be anyone else’s guardian angel. Only omma’s,” Youngjae cried softly.

“Arasso,” Daehyun nodded softly.

“Noona is all alone now. Daehyun, take care of noona,” Youngjae wrapped his arms around your small shoulders and he cried with you. Although of course at that time, you had no idea that they were with you.

“Do you think noona will see us soon? I mean, she’s so vulnerable now,” Daehyun asked Youngjae hopefully.

“Maybe,” Youngjae shrugged.

But of course, that never happened. As not long after, Himchan came into your life and brought new rays of hope in your life. Somehow, deep down now you realized how disappointed Daehyun felt. He was so sure after those years he could finally appear before you. But sadly, not.

The memories or whatever it is called faded away slowly; bringing you back to the reality, to your current self, in your very own room in the apartment.

You opened your eyes. You could not help yourself but cried profusely. After a few moments, you opened your eyes and saw Youngjae putting his hands on yours encouragingly. He smiled at you. In your tears, you smiled back at him. You looked at him longingly. Your little Youngjae, the one who clutched tight at his teddy bear and excited face before he died flashed in your mind. He still possessed that amazing mesmerizing eyes, the boyish smile.

“Daehyun is here too,” Youngjae whispered at you. “YA!! Come out now, don’t cry invisibly. That’s not fair! Noona already saw me crying. How not macho is that!”

The next second Daehyun materialized himself and appeared into your sight. He was so close to you. Youngjae was now kneeling at your bedside, holding your hands. And Daehyun was on the brim of your bed.

You looked at him intently before you burst into another new wave of tears. Daehyun could not help himself and cried too. He took your shoulders closer to him and he embraced you into his arms tightly. You cried hard in his arms.

You felt Youngjae stood up and he blew some air on your head and soon after you felt very tired and everything went black. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

************

I was kind off emotional when I write this chapter!

I hope you can feel it too :'(

Oh btw, when I write this chapter, I kept on replaying these songs:

Sunggyu - I need You now

C-CLOWN - Far away... young love

SISTAR19 - Gone, not around any longer

and of course

B.A.P - Rain Sound

-jungDAEbaby-