Heartquake

Avenue of Hope

Chaerin slapped him. Years passed since she last felt Byung Hee’s strongly contoured lips pressed against her less gracious pair. His tongue dared go further. It annoyed her so much; her hand instinctively glued itself to his cheek. The man looked shocked for a second, before the corners of his mouth dropped in disappointment and his eyes mischievously gleamed. Chaerin frowned when he merely shrugged his shoulders and took two steps backwards. She arranged her clothes and motioned for him to follow her outside the kitchen.

“You’ll be staying in my mother’s room...” she trailed off and stopped in the middle of the small hallway. “It’s the room on the left.” Byung Hee opened the door right away, but before he could glance inside, Chaerin’s voice alerted him. “And I’m on the right if you need anything. The bathroom is outside.” Byung Hee didn’t seem fazed about it. It felt great merely having his feet on the ground. He had been dealing with land sickness for the past week, which slowly faded. Or maybe Chaerin’s presence soothed him. “If you need a shower, I’ll warm you some water. Just ask.” She almost vanished behind the other door.

“Hey Rin...” the pet name she hadn’t heard in such a long time forcefully came back. Chaerin turned around to Byung Hee with softened eyes. “Thank you... for everything.” He smiled back and nodded for her to go on. He was sure the kid wanted his mother right away to answer some questions.

Chaerin stood longer than necessary and watched Byung Hee’s back being covered by the closing door. It still felt like some kind of nightmare and the moment she would burst inside the room, Byung Hee wouldn’t be there. She didn’t want to do that. The illusion of having the other so close, yet not being able to actually see him, was enough. It reassured Chaerin he was there, regardless if that was true or not.

“Dae-Hyun... let’s wash and go to bed, alright?” she turned to the child holding a framed photo. She took it away from him and sighed once their younger selves came into view. It wasn’t like decades past, at least, not physically. Dae-Hyun’s eyes were fixed on Chaerin’s hands. He wanted to steal the picture away from his mother and gaze again upon the stranger’s figure. He decided it was better not to go against her will. The kid jumped off bed, grabbed Chaerin’s hand and exited the room back to the kitchen. Chaerin wet a towel and gently brushed it against his face. Dae-Hyun didn’t want to brush his teeth and almost escaped from his mother’s lack of attention. The pea sized toothpaste forced his gums clean. He hated it so much!

 

 

Byung Hee barely slept. It wasn’t because of the clock’s loud ticking noise. The gentle, calm, rain washed any sounds from nature’s livelier side. The bed didn’t creak at all and Byung Hee found himself staring at the ceiling. He felt weird to be in a bed and not on the floor, on a mattress. He had to ask Chaerin later how come her mother’s house had those facilities. Then again, he did remember sleeping on a bed, as well, when he first visited the place. He worried it will be too short. Surprisingly, the bed fitted him perfectly. He figured out Chaerin’s father must have been a tall. Everything about that piece of furniture could make any man sleep deeply. He couldn’t. The constant headaches and nausea wrapped around multiple thoughts welcomed insomnia.

He felt dreary that morning. He was already a geezer.

Byung Hee rummaged through his backpack after clothes. He didn’t bother changing last evening. He suddenly remembered the shower proposal. From the light outside and the birds’ chirp, Byung Hee gladly embraced the idea. He went outside in the hallway and looked around. The door to Chaerin’s room was wide opened. He peaked inside and saw Dae-Hyun seemingly asleep. He quietly crossed the hallway and entered the kitchen, only to find it empty. On the stove, rice boiled at a low temperature.

Confused, he scratched his head and made a mess out of his already “chic hairstyle”.

Byung Hee decided fresh air might clear his head. He took some boots and escaped regret when he stepped outside the muddy terrain. He noticed Chaerin approaching from afar, dressed in a pair of thick pants and a blouse under a dark blue waistcoat. Her hair was tied in the same bun and, as before, she had no make-up or other accessories on. She was carrying two buckets filled with water. Immediately, Byung Hee jumped to her aid.

“I can handle it.” Chaerin spoke before he could do a thing. The man ignored her and grabbed one of the buckets.

“I need a shower.” He told her and Chaerin suddenly stopped and let the other bucket hit the ground.

“Right now?” she inquired, looking rather surprised. She also didn’t expect to see him dressed as yesterday, with the same shirt and jeans. “Aren’t you cold?”

“This is nothing.” Byung Hee assured her and grabbed the other bucket too. Chaerin protested, but Byung Hee was already far ahead of her. She managed to follow him and gave him directions at to what to do with their contents. Apparently, the buckets were just for that – Byung Hee’s (kind of) shower. Chaerin guessed he would need one. She and Dae-Hyun on the other hand were doing fine. If necessary, Chaerin could go and get some more water. She had been doing the same deed mechanically – going to and fro between the well and their house; it built her some arm muscles. Tap water didn’t always work. That morning, when she turned it on, it barely poured enough to wash the rice. She placed a large bowl on top of a tree stump in front of the house’s stairs.

Chaerin walked back inside to search for some towels and soap. When she returned, the former marine bared his chest in the sunlight. He washed his hands inside the bowl and splashed his face with water; frozen water. It woke him up. He checked his stubble with his fingers and a grave look adorned his eyes once he touched the scar. He seemed unbothered by the water’s coldness. Chaerin couldn’t stop staring at his back and risked coming closer. She took a better look at his clean chest. She expected the usual hair that brought forth most of their heated discussions. She found instead more scars and partially healed wounds. Byung Hee took the soap and mixed it with water. He started washing his chest and most of his upper body. Chaerin simply watched closely. She desperately wanted to ask what happened. The only information she got was from the radio. The villagers weren’t very happy to have her around the pub, so she had no access to television.

Flashes of their tender moments stunned her. She blinked twice and tried hard to suppress her hormones. Byung Hee eyed her and once again was disorientated. Chaerin seemed to be looking past him, at some distant memory he had no access to. He took the towel and soaked his face in it before getting rid of the excess water and the soap remains.

“...I could have heated you the water.”

“You can wash Dae-Hyun with that... or you. I can handle myself.” He smiled and put the towel on his right shoulder.

“Speaking of which...” Chaerin crossed her arms around her chest and her legs involuntarily laid one upon another. “I need some stuff from the store.” She tried hard to sound normal and not show how uncomfortable the whole situation was to her. “The one near the bus station.” She still wondered how Byung Hee found her. He could have simply given her mother a call. Then again, she wouldn’t have been at home during that period. Her father’s memorial gave her mother a chance to visit Incheon, for a few days, each year.

“I know it. I got some directions from there.” He took the bowl off the stump and placed it near the stairs. Byung Hee took a sit and proceeded washing his feet. “I’ll go. Just tell me what to take.”

“I’ll write you a list.” She said and hurriedly left Byung Hee without a second glance. Inside the house, she held her hand above her heart and inhaled deeply. Dae-Hyun appeared from her room with his eyes blocked by strands of ruffled hair.

“Dae-Hyun, come, let’s wash your face!” she eagerly told him as Dae-Hyun merely groaned. Most children were hyperactive. He was no exception, unless he had just woken up.

Byung Hee subtly tried to make out both of their silhouettes from outside. He sketched a smile shadowed only by his dark eyes.

 

 

“Have you found the house?” the woman standing in front of the store asked Byung Hee as he left with the goods. He smiled and took a sit near her on the bench.

“Yes, thank you grandma.” He politely answered and scooped the ice-cream from inside the bag. He craved sweets more than he first admitted.

“That poor woman.” she sighed and shook her head. “First, her husband dies in the army.” Byung Hee suddenly stopped munching on his early dessert. “Then, her daughter comes pregnant with that bastard of a child.” He figured out she wasn’t talking about Chaerin, but her mother.

“What do you mean?” curiosity got the best of him. He fetched the extra water bottle he bought for later and offered it as a token to the old woman. She gladly accepted it and drank half of the bottle. Judging by the hoe leaning against her leg, she had been working all morning.

“...about her husband or her daughter?”

Byung Hee hesitated for a moment. “Both.”

“Her husband was a marine... a fine man, just like you.” Byung Hee felt flattered. He kept a straight face as not to give her satisfaction. “Then their ship was attacked one day and he died on duty.”

“Oh...” somehow, it felt so familiar to Byung Hee, he couldn’t shake off the sentence’s toxicity.

“Poor woman, she had to raise that kid alone. She was pregnant at that time.” Byung Hee nodded and urged her to continue. “Then her daughter comes back here one day with her big tummy, but no man. She probably fooled around and paid the price. She had that son of hers.” Byung Hee’s grip tightened on the shopping bag. He let the insult slide for that moment. “I actually go often there. You know, their neighbor has great milk.” She laughed to a joke known only to locals. “I have never seen a male put foot in there, unless it was a rooster or some other animal. I have no idea what cursed both of them.”

Byung Hee had enough. He thanked the lady and offered to buy her some ice-cream before departing. The path back was long and exhausting to his mentality. He couldn’t stop thinking about her words. Who was the one lying? Then again, she’s old. And as much as rumors go around faster in the rural area, he was sure Chaerin could have easily hidden some other guy if that said person worked in the city or something. Maybe he visited as often as possible and provided everything for her, her mother and Dae-Hyun.

Speaking of the kid, he found him kicking a puddle with some broken sticks. Brown water dropped like the recent rain from withered leaves.  The bowl he used was back on the tree stump, full of milky water. Byung Hee kneeled down and their eyes met again. Similar orbs questioned each other’s movements.

“What’s wrong?”

“...it’s dirty.” Dae-Hyun finally spoke in a more or less correct Korean. He eyed the ball near the stairs covered in mud and grass. Byung Hee understood him perfectly.

“Everywhere is dirty too. It will get dirty again if you wash it then play with it.”

“But I don’t want to play! I want to get it inside!” Dae-Hyun suddenly protested with such ferocity, it took Byung Hee a while to drop his huge smile. “...but mom won’t let me because it’s dirty.”

“Want to wash it then?” Byung Hee placed the bag on the stairs and grabbed the toy in question. Dae-Hyun stood up and followed the stranger to the tree stump. Byung Hee soaked the ball in the water mixed with soap and gently cleansed it. Dae-Hyun leaned against the stump and watched with curious eyes. Before him, the ball regained its colorful mantle.

Chaerin picked up the bag and watched them. Joy encircled her dry heart and blew new life to its beat.

 

 

The sun settled. Dae-Hyun had to brush his teeth that evening too. He had fun all day long with the stranger. He found his name was Byung Hee. Dae-Hyun called him uncle instead because he sometimes looked like their neighbor who he also called uncle. Both had funny things all over their faces. He suddenly stopped what he was doing and spit into his glass.

“Uncle!” he shouted. Byung Hee left his meal and watched the kid. “What’s on your face?”

“I’ll tell you some day.” Byung Hee gave no details since he could not invent a credible story about his scar. Neither could he tell the child about the horrors of war. Dae-Hyun obviously wasn’t pleased with the answer. He took it for granted and wiped his mouth. His voice filled the hallway in search of his mother.

Byung Hee remained alone in the kitchen. Another storm ravished darkness through a dance. His thoughts were chained to the sound of heavy liquid diamonds hitting the windows. He stood there for a good hour until Chaerin’s footsteps disturbed his serenity. The food grew cold. Byung Hee heard her sigh when she lifted the tap and no water came.

“Rin...” it was for the seventh time that day his voice startled her. “...who’s the father?”

Chaerin turned around and, with great grief, she chose silence.

“You lied to me, haven’t you?”

Byung Hee dropped the chopsticks and cared less where they landed.

“Or really haven’t... what should I believe?” his forehead touched his palm as he loudly exhaled and constrained his rage. “That you met another?”

“You left.” Chaerin lifted the tap again; still no water. She had no excuse to terminate their conversation.

“For army!” he argued and violently pushed the chair backwards, scratching the floor. Chaerin leaned against the sink, not happy with how the situation was turning around. “I had to leave. And you know I loved you dearly.” His voice grew weak and he almost stumbled on his words.

Chaerin couldn’t hear that. She feared the truth so much it deprived her of other senses “Do you even know what love is?” Chaerin tried to regain her composure. Byung Hee grabbed her arms.

“I only know that I love you, that I’m willing to take somebody else’s child, able to love him too. I want us to be a family, no matter what. I want... no, I need another chance.” He pleaded like a desperate hero in search of his beautiful maiden.

“For who? For us or just for you?!” Chaerin finally snapped. “You came back and the first thing that annoys you is that I might have slept with another?!” Her voice grew stern.

“No, it’s not...” Byung Hee let go of her. Her ferocious presence tackled with his mind.

“You don’t care how I ended up here? You don’t care I have a child that needs a real father? You don’t care that I live opposite of how I used to?” Chaerin couldn’t control herself anymore. Three years passed. Frustrated, her chance finally came to let it all out and shout as much as she could.

“I do!”

“Then act like that! What gives you the right to come and accuse me of anything? What gives you the right to love me?” her eyes were menacing.  “Love doesn’t need explanation! But don’t mistake it, I love Dae-Hyun more than anything right now.” Her lower lip trembled. Soon, her whole body did the same. It was so obvious; Byung Hee couldn’t keep his hands off. He wanted to hug her and calm the blonde down.

“Because Dae-Hyun... Dae-Hyun was the only reminder of you.” Chaerin pushed him away and shouted some more before her voice suddenly lowered. Her fingers twitched with the need of covering her face. She felt so ashamed.

“Because he’s your son. I tune in daily and try to catch some news about the army.” Her muscles tangoed with her quivering bones. She wanted to go under her skin and rip it apart.

“I nearly died when I heard that ship was hit... your ship. Your name was all around the media!” she covered . Her eyes dimmed with tears. She blocked them all before giving them a chance to fall.

“And all I had left then... was Dae-Hyun... Dae-Hyun’s eyes and smile that resembled yours... that’s all I had.” She covered again. Her waist hit the sink’s edge. She couldn’t endure anymore the agony and it all came crushing down.

“And now you come here and ruin everything! Why are you hurting me? They say you’re dead then suddenly you appear here.” She yelled and held her stomach. “Please... don’t leave again. Don’t make me cry again in front of our child, please.”

Byung Hee pulled her to his chest. His hands soothingly covered her head and back. Her tears moistened his clothes as his chin hit her forehead. He placed a kiss upon the spot and brought her face against his. Chaerin saw she wasn’t the only one shedding tears. Their kisses were salty and left both of them breathless in a fraction. They parted and connected, each time more bittersweet than before. Byung Hee’s shivering fingers touched her cheek and wiped away any traces of pain.

“I love you.”