Falter

Avenue of Hope

Cheondung, by his real name Park Sang Hyun, wouldn’t exactly call the mood serene. A mellow song described a pleasant ambiance, one he battled against. Under normal circumstances, he avoided all available seats near windows because he didn’t want to become a subject of gossip to passersby. Somehow, he felt impatient, not necessarily because he was part of a boy band. He knew very well they weren’t that popular as within the international admirers, but Sang Hyun still felt a rather soothing sensation when he avoided windows. He chose middle tables or the occasional, and rare, near counter spots, so their waiter wouldn’t have to stride too far.

Sang Hyun was digesting what previously happened between his sister and his, until then, missing colleague. Byung Hee’s hands found a way back to his bruised cheek. Sang Hyun supposed his “badge of honor” itched, or it was because his sister marked him after their encounter. It intrigued Sang Hyun how they synchronized when they were agitated. Both Byung Hee and Sandara used a wrapped arm around their bodies as shields and faced each other with avoiding glances. Dara’s crossed legs further enhanced her wish to escape from their meeting. She abandoned her coffee for rosehip and raspberry tea. She had kind of a sorrowful visage, different from the raging monster that appeared before the former marine.

Sang Hyun knew his sister was sorry. He also was sure her intentions were of good nature and had no apparent reason to distrust her. Behind Sang Hyun, his glass of terror had tall plants emanating grass scents. They crawled over his skin with their mere presence and left moist trails underneath his clothes. Shades of green flourished, from the lighter wasabi paste variety to the deep emerald spruce. Flowers bloomed here and there with brilliant colors. Orange, reds or the mysterious indigo dominated the scenery. Sang Hyun was stuck with a jungle background and two beasts ready to jump at each other’s throats if not for the public. He silently hoped Byung Hee was still a gentleman in front of ladies.

Dara pulled strands of hair which she trapped between her lips. She nibbled away at her fingernails when she brought locks to . She was ill-tempered. Her outbursts were swinging from one extreme to another until she no longer recognized her stable side. She hated those moments; she reached them during complicated situations. Could she call it a personalized self-defense? It was worse when she had no recollection of her acts. Then, unfortunately, she was very aware of her involvement. Truthfully, at first, she was jealous that Chaerin had gained a partner who appreciated her. When that aspect changed, Dara couldn’t exactly put her finger on what bothered her so much.

‘I love her’

Dara snorted inside her mind. She recalled how Chaerin proudly, and publicly, confessed her love for Teddy. Chaerin accompanied the man only with attractive adjectives meant to place Teddy high on her life stairway. Dara compared it with a silly teenage crush. Not that she was more mature; she just didn’t want to warp reality to her liking. In some way, she envied her for finding the strength to keep her eyes on the same soul. One day, it was during recording that Teddy announced his engagement. Dara couldn’t describe Chaerin’s puzzled countenance. She had to see it to actually understand it. Vividly printed in her mind, her body shuddered to that contortion of emotions. Chaerin’s little rainbow world collapsed in an instant. There was no pot of gold at the end, just ruins from a better era. Heck, that towering rainbow never touched ground. It floated among clouds and holier air. Chaerin could never swim on its arc, no matter how hard she worked. She wasn’t depressed or angry. Her state could not be fully explained by Dara’s sole intuition. There was absolutely nothing – she was as empty as a human being could become. She lived, but not entirely. That’s why, for a while, it was becoming harder and harder for her to cross paths with the one she had admired and wished to spend the rest of her life with, the man that carefully learnt her in order to create what fitted her artistic demeanor. Dara was amazed when Chaerin participated at Teddy’s wedding. She had guts. Dara wasn’t sure it was a wise decision. Luckily, after a while, Chaerin could once again smile without remorse. It was great to see she started healing.

Dara had the stupid idea of going out, just like girls, for a couple of drinks. They were foremostly band members. That evening she felt they should be friends instead or complete strangers that embarked into an adventure. There was no knowing what might happen. It was also one of those special occasions when they were allowed to breathe without all the glamour and shutter sounds.

A strange twist of fate brought Chaerin and Byung Hee close that very night. Of course they knew the basics (their names and ages) because of Dara’s baby brother’s affiliation with Byung Hee’s quintet. Chaerin shared enough happy moments together during concerts and such not to take advantage of her knowledge and to engage the main vocalist in pleasant conversation. Dara lacked details of their escapade; Chaerin avoided her. They were there to have fun, to flirt. Anything else had to be prevented. As much as she wanted to help out Chaerin, her contract still forced the blonde to stay single until she reached the imposed age. The following day, she was stunned to hear of her new charming knight that had smitten Chaerin completely.

‘He’s different...’

Dara thought she was just grieving over losing Teddy and that was her way of forgetting. She was wrong and miles away from the truth. Somehow, Jung Byung Hee penetrated Chaerin’s heart like lighting.

“She disappeared...”

Dara finally put an end to silence. She pitied the guy. For a long while, after almost three years of contemplating what Chaerin told her before she left, Dara agreed to their relationship of love and didn’t regard them as enemies. On the other hand, she had no intentions of apologizing for her violent gesture. He still deserved that slap and many other, including a punch right through that smug face of his – or his lack of arrogance that surprised her. Had the army really changed him? Or was she too delusional?

“Sang Hyun... shouldn’t you announce your band mates?”

The third wheel finally snapped out of his reverie and slight fear of exposure. He really could not picture the same Byung Hee as the man in front of him – slightly tanned, rather rough looking with stubble and wild hair. He really reminded Sang Hyung of someone that survived a war – opposite of the image of Jung Byung Hee he assembled over the years, the one that would take an hour long bath, abused cosmetics and who was conscious of his body (more than him). Finally, he excused himself from the table and walked out. He lurked around the café before he dialed Seungho’s number. Their manager already knew, didn’t he? He wasn’t sure about calling Joon; he took it the hardest when the news first erupted. Their hyperactive youngest was also a no-no. Plus, Seungho arrived from the army two months ago. He could be the most capable of handling a bruised man like Byung Hee.

Back inside, Dara enjoyed her rosy liquid. “I’ll tell you where she is” she spoke softly, not to startle him any longer.

Byung Hee finally lifted his view from the floor’s crisscross pattern and turned his attention fully to Dara, straightened his back and clenched his fists on top of his jeans.

“On one condition” she continued as she placed the cup back on its saucer. She enjoyed that café so much that the staff already knew her favorite porcelain and managed to offer her the best of the best.

“I’ll do anything” Byung Hee sincerily answered without hesitation.

Dara was angry.

“You see her then you leave. Forever...