Stormy Weather

Avenue of Hope

One day passed since Seoul welcomed him. His sister got a well-deserved holiday with her family. Byung Hee couldn’t reach her at all. With the leftover money, he rented a studio apartment cheaper than any hotel room. 

Byung Hee couldn’t call his parents. His mother would definitely have taken him back and she might have cried over his slight disfiguration, but he wasn’t so sure when it came to his father. The sole reason he chose the Marines over other fields was because of his father. His bombastic stories cluttered each dinner meal. Mainly, he exaggerated his duty to the country and how a military man like himself should teach the new generation. He made it clear they’d have to act better with elders and to respect their Korean roots. His impressive tales of unknown voyages and wars he had fought ended in the same depressing note. After an accident, he was forced to leave as he could not condemn his existence to office work. The former marine could no longer use his leg, so going out on the sea was not a viable choice. He loathed paper work and any other mission that did not involve action. He resigned, received his final payment and bought a farm big enough for them to live and prosper on. How proud his father had been when Byung Hee last visited the farm and announced his recruitment. His mother shed tears; they weren’t of joy as she instantly compared his future to that of his father’s incident. His mother knew well Byung Hee could not continue his life as an entertainer if he’d sacrifice his legs. He couldn’t care less – it was an honor to restore his father’s name through his own and carry on the family legacy. Ironically, he was also the only one to focus on arts, rather than study his way up to become an elitist. Nevertheless, nobody could take away his voice. He gambled everything on that single idea rooted deep inside.

Byung Hee rarely lived in penurious manner. He enjoyed spending time with oneself. Army had been his 180 degrees change. He kept a tight grasp on his last paycheck. He fumbled with his wallet and he continuously checked his pockets. If any tried to steal from him, they would find out just how rough the Marine Corps could be. Plus, he was once again too ashamed to ask for money. That is why he found himself walking aimlessly. He wasn’t sure anymore if he could trust people. Not even his band members – actually, he wasn’t sure if the guys had waited for news or abandoned him too. Yet, again and again, his mind drifted to her smile and perky jokes. His feet traced paths to the café they used to frequent. Bubble tea seemed like a good idea at that time. He hadn’t eaten or drank anything sweet for a while.

Before he could enter, two familiar figures emerged from the building. One carried a coffee while she gingerly fixed her sunglasses. The other typed at his phone and sketched a half-smile. The time it took Byung Hee to figure out who they were, the couple made their way around the crowd. He hastily ran after them.

Byung Hee stretched his arm and stopped the taller one. Cheondung almost dropped his phone from the sudden pull. The worst got the best of him as images of rabid fans sent a shiver down his spine. Who could be so rash? His shock became greater when he recognized the one staring back at him. The stranger’s face compelled Cheondung to shuffle his mental library. The only familiar face had to be overlapped with the one in front of him. Cheondung immediately dragged Byung Hee into a tight embrace. He couldn’t hold back after realization hit him. His friend, long lost, felt real. Cheondung finally forgot about nightmares.

“You’re alive...” he uttered as Byung Hee pushed the younger one away. He gave Cheondung’s shoulder a light pat.

The one clad in fashionable clothes wasn’t as impressed. Her eyebrows twitched under the sunglasses’ frames and stretched into a fine line. Dara’s stern look did not cross through her shades. She ignored their small reunion and walked away from further embarrassing herself. She repulsed Byung Hee. He had her utmost disdain and would not grace the man with her presence. She had no mercy left for forgiveness. What he had done could not be looked over.

Byung Hee followed Dara. He was desperate. He had so many questions, yet none of them gave him courage. Dara was ready to cross the street when someone grabbed her arm. He opened his mouth to start invading her privacy, but was interrupted. She turned around and slapped him hard over his face. The scar flashed before her eyes. Pride made Dara puff her chest out and for her hands to attach to her waist.

“You’re not in the army! Let go of me!” she snapped at his rude gesture. Her fingers relaxed enough to remove her sunglasses. Bitter brown eyes froze in front of anthracite orbs.

Byung Hee could feel anger building up inside of him. He wanted to tear everything around him. He wanted to scream in agony as he could not hold any longer his confusion.

“I just need an answer!” he almost yelled, which tensed Dara.

“Please, sister...” Cheondung tried to ameliorate the thick atmosphere between them. He cared dearly for both and could not take sides; not this time.

“You hurt her! You ruined her!”

“What? I haven’t done a thing!”

“You were better off dead!”

“I want to see her!”

“She doesn’t want to see you!”

“At least tell me where she is!”

“I won’t!”

“Tell her I’m back, I’m alive, please!”

“She hates you! off!”

Byung Hee’s heart skipped a beat. Why would she hate him? Was it true? Maybe Dara was lying. She had to lie Everything spiraled from that moment on. Byung Hee kept his façade, yet his insides were blazing.  

"I love her"