HER

Later Yesterday

She looked far, kept her eyes at the door where they just left. Having the image of his back on her mind, just that image- just the image of his back. . .she’s keeping that image on her mind.

She didn’t expect to see him, never.

That one minute they looked at each other would be the greatest memory she’d ever have after four years. Those eyes. . .who looked at her like the first time they met. Those thrice he called her by her name, it keeps recalling in her ears.

She missed him, she always miss him; and seeing him now just proved how much she missed him so much.

He was still the same, but ore handsome the last time she saw him. Will always have the clean shave of hair, would always have his shirt tucked in, his belt always looped losing one hole. It was a habit she made him wore. She couldn’t help to smile that he kept those after years, it made her chest ache.

It was the moment she wanted to stand up and hug him, hug him so tight, have his smell fill her nose. . . she almost did, not thinking whether he’ll get mad or not, until that someone called him—honey, broke her plan.

He’s marrying, just the thought of it made her eyes hurt. After four years, he’s finally marrying.

But why after four years, when he could’ve done it years earlier, the question of why it took four years for him to marry bugged her.

And the sudden urge to know the woman who he will be marrying soon crept up to her. She wanted to know her, why her, how did she. . .and everything, and it hurts that she’ll know she could give anything he wants and how she failed.

She shouldn’t cry, she must not. But the tears are starting form on her eyes, it was stupid.

As much she wished she didn’t see him, he didn’t call her; she wished she didn’t.

How could he call her and get her attention, when it was him who told her that he never wanted to see her again. Why?

“Teacher Emi!”

Someone called her broke her trance; she snapped her head towards the voice. She immediately smiled at the little boy.

“Micky!” she handed out her arm to reach for him, Ace is one of her students in the kindergarten she’s been teaching.

“Tao hyung bought me these!” the kid brought up his arm showing her packed muffins.

“Aigoo! Did you ask for those again?” she worried it’ll be deducted again from the salary of the man the kid has always liked of.

“No, I gave those. And stop worrying about my salary Emi, those muffins just cost a little.” And the guy who she know just changed from his uniform showed from behind, crouching down patting the kids head.

“But-“

“No buts Teacher Emi, why not we leave now so Tao hyung can’t take my yummy muffins back?”

She and Tao laughed with the silliness of the kid, “You naughty kid,” and Tao just messed the kid’s hair. “It’s Saturday, why are you with this naughty student of yours anyway?” Tao asked her.

“I just have to take care of him for awhile.” She smiled looking at the kid, pinching it cheeks. She doesn’t really mind taking care of him, it was the first time she was asked to take care of him.

“I think I always see you with this kid,” he frowned then looked down at the kid, but actually it was the first time. “Where and why are your parents not taking care of you huh?” he teased the kid, despite his age, Tao could be really infantile.

But the kid just pouted, not wanting to answer.

“Stop it Tao, don’t make the kid cry.” She landed a light slap on the guy’s shoulder, “I think I should go home. I’ll see you again,” she paused thinking “Tomorrow, I’ll be here in the morning okay? Ready my pancakes!” she grabbed her bag on the floor, preparing to leave.

“What about our date Emi?” Tao whined a joke trying to get her attention.

“Since when did I promise you a date?” she threw her head back towards him, giving him an incredulous look.

“Teacher Emi, you are dating a panda?” Ace pulled her arm. And Tao’s eyes immediately went wide. “Yaa! After those muffins I gave how dare you call your hyung a panda!”

Both just giggled, and looked down at the kid whose hand is holding her tight “Ignore that panda okay?” she winked.

“Let’s talk tomorrow Tao! Bye!” she didn’t even wait for Tao to reply, she knows he’ll just annoy her. Tao has always been like that, annoying her most of the times, but she never gets mad. She knows the guy just wanted her attention and he’s succeeding. He would never fail to make her laugh. Sometimes, she would think Tao is serious about his dating joke, but she always think he’s still young and just teasing.

For four years, she never dated. Didn’t see anyone, not letting anyone to see her in that kind of manner. Not that no guy has liked her, there were too many who showed interest, she just couldn’t accept for some certain reason. She thought Tao was the only guy who she has kept in touch with for a while, and she’s somehow thankful.

“Are you going to make me an apple juice again when we get to your house Teacher?” the kid was busy munching his muffins along the way they walk to her house.

“Yes sir, I am going to make that tumbler of yours full so you won’t ask again.” she giggled. She thought it was the image of a mom and a child; a mom walking her son on their way home, their hands swaying as her child jolly walked. She sighed.

It wasn’t a long walk until they reach her house; her house Joonmyun left her. After they got divorced, he wanted to sell it, have it down, he wanted to get rid of their house. But she begged for it, not taking any money from him, any support, not even his name, all ties gone, just leave her the house and her ring.

She just couldn’t let go of the house where everything with them started, grew and unfortunately ended.

“Are you not lonely living alone here in your house Teacher?” and for how many times, the kid asked her again.

“You’ve been asking me that question for so many times now Ace.” She smiled at the kid, as she unlocked the doors.

“I am always curious, I could live here with you-- we could live here with you.” The kid proudly suggested.

And at the mention of we, she smiled. She didn’t answer, for sure the kid would just insist about his great idea, and as a teacher she must have the patience.

As the doors opened, the kid ran immediately inside, straight to the kitchen, pulling a chair on the dining table—excited for something.

“Careful Micky!”

“Apple juice!!!” she just laughed at the kid’s eagerness sitting on the chair, his legs dangling. She always wished her house isn’t too quiet. She thought of Ace always making noise inside her house and she will never mind, any kid and she will never mid. She will never mind being woken up by a kid’s noise.

As she look around her house, nothing has changed, still the same. And with Joonmyun’s sudden show awhile ago, her memories stirred.

How every part of the house would have their memory, flashbacks filled her thoughts.

“Teacher Emi!!!” the yelling broke the flashbacks; she must not have those memories again.

“I’m preparing it okay? Relax.” The smile on her face just won’t disappear.

Ace was talkative, and how it would annoy other people, but not her.

“Teacher, you should build up a juice shop,” he started talking, “But you must only sell apple juice.”

She giggled, “Then it won’t be called a juice shop, but an Apple Juice shop.”

The kid didn’t reply, she glanced at him and saw him frowning in deep thoughts, she laughed.

She was putting the apples on the juicer when the door bell ranged.

“I know who that is!” Ace yelled frantically.

“Who’s that?” she teased as finish the juice.

She looked on her watch, it was still six o’clock. She frowned, so early. It’s supposed to be seven. There couldn’t be anyone else who might be buzzing her doorbell unless it was. . .

She got anxious, praying it wasn’t who she was thinking. She walked fast to the door, but the kid was faster.

Ace jumped off the chair, and she didn’t miss to shout to be careful again, the kid was too excited to open the door.

“Appa!”

And relief washed through her, it wasn’t him. It was even stupid to think it was him, he would never step his foot here.

“Hey there my boy!” and the guy standing so tall leaned down to carry his son. Bringing up the plastic bag he got, “I got us dinner!”

She smiled watching the scene, it was so beautiful, and she wished to see it every time.

“Kris! You’re early huh? You’re supposed to be here at seven.” She walked towards the door, welcoming her expected visitor.

He chuckled, “I wanted to have dinner with my son actually,” he was looking to his son, and then to her. “You like to join? I actually bought food good for three.”

She wanted to decline, she never liked being in a situation like this.

“Please Teacher Emi.” And Ace started to plead, with her palms facing each other.

“Yeah, begged you pretty teacher.” Kris whispered to his sons ear, if he couldn’t make her agree, he knows his son can.

She thought for it for awhile, and smiled how cute the two are teaming up on her.

“Okay, okay, but not here in my house okay?” she never let anyone get in her house. Especially not a father and a son, maybe a female friend, but never anyone else.

“Yay!!!” Ace cheered, and Kris has to tighten his grip on his son afraid that he might fall.

“Hand me that plastic bag, and concentrate carrying your son.” She was laughing as she gave her help on carrying their foods.

“Yes ma’am.” Kris replied like a student, and Ace was just too happy he keep on moving on his father’s arm.

Kris, was good friend she thought. She still couldn’t accept the idea of being friends with him, but they’ve been in good terms because of Ace; Ace always being the naughty one in school, as a teacher she would always ask for his guidance and as much she was looking forward on meeting his mother, and have a talk-- it was always Ace’s father, Kris would show up on her. Until she found out that Kris was a widowman, his wife died giving birth to Ace. With that, Ace grew up without a mom, and only has his father Kris to live with him. And for seven years, Kris didn’t remarried, and she thought he wanted to keep it that way.

She couldn’t help to sympathize with the kid, growing up with no mother. And how stupid it may seem, she thought of acting his mother instead.

But then, she still wished to have that family with her ex husband-- Joonmyun, it’s impossible with him. . . but she still loves him.