HIS

Later Yesterday

Joonmyun woke up late the day after, feeling the heavy weight on his headache and a heavy weight on his chest feeling, an unusual heat of skin on his left sagittal part, and an arm embracing his navel. Confusion added his headache and he moved frowning, having his consciousness to take over, he saw her fiancé Eunmi beside him, and he was all too.

It can’t be, he’s been saying on his mind. He couldn’t have slept with her fiancé, not when he’s drunk.

He sat up, making sure a hard pressure is pressing on his offending temples, he groaned waking up Eunmi.

“Eunmi,” he nudged her arm trying to be gentle, but the woman didn’t make a move. “Eunmi,” he continued on until she stirred.

“Oh,” his fiancé woke up yawning, “Honey, you woke up.” Rubbing her eyes with her knuckles, Joonmyun looked at her as if finding an explanation, but his fiancé remained tired and sleepy.

“What happened last night?” he finally asked, wanting to keep his annoyance. And as much as he can, he doesn’t want to think that his fiancé just took advantage of him.

His fiancé sat up, facing him pulling the sheets to cover her chest, “You were drunk last night and well,” she paused, he saw her eyes scanning his face, “we slept together, it was. . .good.” a smile crept up her lips like some satisfaction was made, but his frown deepened.

“We couldn’t have slept together, I am drunk.” He was keeping his voice low, low and calm despite the firing annoyance in him.

“Honey, you were drunk. You probably didn’t-“

“Who tended me last night, you?” he didn’t let her finish; he’s not sure how to handle her lies. He couldn’t have slept with her, impossible.

It was her time to frown now, annoyance starting to draw on her face, “Why? What’s wrong of sleeping with me?”

“Eunmi, I am asking-“ he tried to be calm, he knows it was this again.

“Kim Jun Myeon what is really wrong about sleeping with me?” her annoyance was now obvious, “Since you proposed you never slept with me,” she paused, trying to think of what to say next, “If you didn’t get drunk last night, this probably wouldn’t happen!”

Dealing with an annoyed woman, is the last thing he wants to do in the morning, not when he just woke up from a hangover. Running his palms on his face and pulled his hair, he exhaled. True, he hasn’t slept with her since he proposed, he just don’t want to. She’s been giving him the way to do it, but he just can’t, he’d rather sleep with a in the club than her.

He groaned, “Okay, okay, okay, I slept with you okay? So you were with me all the time I was drunk?” it’s been what’s bothering him. It was stupid, but he’d rather have a stranger tend him all the time he was drunk than Eunmi.

It took seconds for her to reply until she said, “Yes, who else?” she paused and looked away, “Now I get to see you drunk. But honey, can you not get drunk again?” she laid her head on his shoulder as she wrapped her arms on his waist.

Something is wrong, he thought. He was sure he saw Emi last night, calling him Suho or was it just another dream that’s been hunting him since they divorced? , no. It was her, I know.

“We need to get going, I need to go-“ he stood up, grabbing his boxers and pants on the floor.

“Can we just stay here for the day?” his fiancé said, hopeful.

“No, I need to go work and finish things.” He needs to get out of there; the disturbing feeling is suffocating him. After having his clothes back, he immediately headed out the room, and on his way out, a basin and a towel grabbed his attention on the kitchen counter, a sudden rush filled his mind, I knew it.

*8*8*

Calling his secretary, he was driving somewhere else. “Minhee, cancel my schedule today. And if anyone looks for me, tell them I’m working on something very important. Okay?” he waited, for his secretary to reply, “Eunmi? Tell him I am busy, not anyone unless it’s. . .yes, unless it’s him okay?” and he hung up, focusing on his drive. Looking on his watch, 11:37. It’s Lunch.

The moment Joonmyun woke up, the first memory he had was Emi saying “he isn’t my husband,” and as that fact gave him satisfaction, the next thing happened enraged him, Eunmi and him were said to have slept together. But it won’t stop him from meeting Emi today, for why. . .he doesn’t know.

He just wanted to see her, and now thinking about meeting her, it was stupid since he doesn’t even know where to see her. And as his mind keep recalling of the things they talked about, where she could be possibly at, he remembered the café and immediately drove there.

Reaching the café and the eager to open the door he quickly scanned the place to see her but he failed, he went to the counter and asked if is she possibly be going to the place today.

“Teacher Emi?” and his mouth opened remembering he was a teacher, “Maybe later, she always eats lunch here.” And the old lady smiled at him, appreciating that another good looking guy is looking for the teacher who’s been single since then.

“And why are you looking for my girlfriend mister. . .suit and tie?” a guy with such lazy lidded eyes surprised him, leaning his elbow on the counter as he gave him a scrutinizing look. Joonmyun frowned, not because of his sudden appearance but with the girlfriend word.

“Girlfriend?” he asked to clarify, his eyebrows frowning deeper.

The other guy raised an eyebrow, giving him that man-to-man look that only men would understand, when talking about their women. “Yes, that teacher you are looking for is my,” with his thumb pointing to himself, “girlfriend, Teacher Emi Takei.” And now he stood up, gathering his entire stance seeing the other guy must have his height inferiority. And sure Joonmyun has.

“So, who are you and why are you looking for my girlfriend?” he asked again, an eyebrow raised.

“Tao, stop-“ the old lady on the counter tried to stop the guy, who was Tao until Joonmyun spoke.

“Her husband,” and he paused. The word spilled out his mouth before he could think of it, probably to shut the guy in front of him claiming to be the boyfriend. And he succeeded seeing the shocked face on the guy and to the old lady, like their world stopped, but he took them back- “. . .before.”

Both had their mouth gapping, and soft “oh’s” escaped from them.

“So you were the ing bastard?” Tao blurted out, and enough to receive a shout from the old lady who just heard him say such accusation.

“Huang Zitao! Stop talking like that to our customer!”

But Tao ignored her, and now looking at Joonmyun with such loath on his eyes, Joonmyun could feel it skinning him, but he stood still daring him. “I knew it someone broke her too hard, too much, too disastrous, she wasn’t able to stand until now, so the ing stupid bastard was you huh?” seething on his teeth with his lips, he gave Joonmyun his last word, “Don’t worry dude, I promise not to do whatever the ing you did to her okay, so you may leave now and never look for my girlfriend.”

It made him furious how the guy in front of him could talk to him like he knows everything, and even gave him those looks he couldn’t even defend himself. “You know nothing between us.”

Tao, almost leaving facing the other side suddenly stopped and glanced back to Joonmyun, “Oh I don’t?” he walked slowly near beside him, placing his arm around Joonmyun’s shoulder, and its pressure made Joonmyun more uneasy, “You see that seat?” Tao leaned his face near him and pointed a table in front of a painting, a painting, but enough to picture a man and a woman holding the hands of a child between them assisting him to walk. And seeing the painting, Joonmyun knows why already, “She always sits in that table, doing what? What do you think?” Tao asked him but he couldn’t answer. “You know what she would do? She could sit there the whole day doing nothing but stare at that painting. It was stupid huh?”

Joonmyun knows why, Tao doesn’t need to tell him why. But Tao with his arm above his shoulders tightened more as he talked more, “And she would tell me how in love the woman would look to the guy. And oh for the record, she has told me that for almost thirty-four times now since she found that seat.”

It’s only when Tao said he noticed it, his focus was on how the painting showed a happy family, and he never actually noticed how the woman looked at the guy, it was weird how the painting would speak love to its audience.

Pulling his arm, Tao spoke again and Joonmyun felt more restless with him around. “Now you tell me I know nothing? She wouldn’t be my girlfriend for nothing. Just watch her for an entire hour sitting in front there; I think I know the entire story.” He chuckled, “So Mr. Suit and Tie, don’t accuse me of knowing nothing I’ve seen enough, actually too much of her pain.”

His hand shook, and immediately fisted it. Ignoring what Tao said, “You can’t just come up with a painting of how the woman looked at the guy having such happy family, what happened is-“

But he was interrupted, and Huang Zitao’s last words for him hit him hard, “No. Stop. Enough of you.” he paused. “It’s not about the happy family in the painting, nor how that woman is so in love looking at the guy who I think is her husband, gave me what I know.” And he paused again, continuing.

“It’s about the guy, not returning how in love her wife is looking at him, and instead. . .” and Tao looked back at the painting, “He’s just looking all happy and contented with their supposed child?”