HIS

Later Yesterday

“Why here? You don’t eat at this kind of place Eunmi.” Joonmyun asked in wonder, it was unusual for his fiancé to eat at some artistic themed café yet there they are, Eunmi his fiancé, dragging him in.

“Auntie told me they got the best coffee in town, or maybe the entire South Korea. You might want to try them.” Eunmi winked at him as she dragged him in, the bell door jingled when they got in.

She was so excited that he couldn’t just pop the bubble out of her excitement. However, his fiancé is trying to make him drink a coffee for the hundredth times now. His fiancé is desperate, yet he just won’t drink coffee; and for months they’ve dated, and now soon to be wed, Eunmi still couldn’t understand why he won’t drink coffee. Doesn’t know why. Now she only wished that this particular café where every wall has paintings she couldn’t appreciate hung on could make her soon to be husband enjoy coffee.

Coffee’s are for couple, she believed. She always had the memory of her parents drinking coffee together in the morning, afternoon or in the middle of the night. Enjoying every moment of it, drinking together. Eunmi wanted the same thing with him. Now that they’re getting married soon, she wanted that experience with her parents. But then, she has never seen him drink coffee, and as much as she loves the man, she just can’t stop trying.

Eunmi’s excitement was too obvious and it radiated the entire café. As the bells hanged on top of the door of the café jingled close, they’ve got the attention of the people in.

A guy wearing uniform greeted them good morning, and his fiancé greeted him back excitedly with a “Good day!” but Joonmyun just nodded.

He was frowning- he didn’t like the place. Everything inside gave him goosebumps, he couldn’t explain why. The smell- that old smell, the smell of bread, coffee, butter, but what’s dominating his nose is that smell of papercraft, canvass, paint, he couldn’t even distinguish each. . .it’s all mixing up on his nose.

He stood still while his fiancé looked for seats. There were too many vacant seats, but Eunmi would  always want the special one. He knows she’s keeping her annoyance and remember that there won’t be some waiter who would look for their seats, she’s been used to that in every expensive restaurants they’ve been.

He looked around, keeping his eyes off the paintings; he just couldn’t stand looking on the paintings. Instead, he roamed his eyes on the tables, on the people, and in just four seconds. . . his attention was caught.

Like everything around him stopped, he stood still and the goosebumps hiding under the sleeves of his suit has gotten worse. . .his breathing hitched.

Unconsciously he was walking towards a table, his eyes fixed on its direction. He just couldn’t take his eyes on the sight, afraid it will disappear.

“Emi.” Before he could think of it, he whispered a name. He blinked, and blinked, and whispered again, “Emi.” He was calling the name like it was taking all the air on his lungs.

He was standing in front of a table, a table where a woman, whose brown hair is tied on a tight ponytail, leaving her bangs flowing down. Her head was looking down; busy writing something on a notepad that he didn’t bother about. A coffee was sitting on a saucer just beside her notepad; he was sure she’s alone. He just stood in front of her table, waiting for her to look up.

But she didn’t, he waited. She was enjoying too much of what she’s writing.

He frowned again, he cleared his throat and spoke louder like he’s desperate to be seen, “Emi.” and she moved her head up but her eyes still fixed on what she’s writing, until she looked up and their eyes met.

For one minute they just stared at each other, Joonmyun forgetting about he’s with someone. . .until someone spoke.

“Honey! You met a friend?” Eunmi has her arm possessively wrapped immediately around his right arm, and he didn’t miss that mere second that Emi took a quick glance on his arm, and her head snapped.

“Oh.” She was looking straight, not on his face neither on Eunmi, but just straight. He thought she panicked, but she was calm just after a few seconds.

“So, honey. You know her?” Eunmi asked him emphasizing her possession on him, and he actually doesn’t know how to answer, he waited for Emi to speak, she did, but he wished she didn’t.

“Joonmyun-ssi.” It was too foreign for his ears; he couldn’t stand her calling him in that name.

He was lost, and he couldn’t find his tongue. Eunmi was nudging his arm discreetly, but he was so confused.

“Hello, I’m Eunmi. Joonmyun’s fiancé, I guess you’re his friend?” Eunmi was the one who talked, as she introduced herself, he looked back at Emi, watching how she would react about the fiancé word Eunmi mentioned.

As he looked on her reaction, he hated that he didn’t see anything. She was just cool about it, and she smiled. “Oh, that’s nice to hear. He’s marrying.” At the mention of marrying, Emi looked at back at him; it was some kind of battle who would win with the eye contact each would give with each other.

And his fiancé isn’t stupid not to notice, she’s sure something is going on between each eye contact they’re sharing and it’s enough to bother her.

“Yes, she’s. . .a friend.” he finally spoke, but seemed to choked on the last word.

“Yes, friends. I’m Emi by the way.” Emi nodded, she takes her eyes now on Eunmi who’s been frowning and immediately smiled when their eyes met. Handing her arm out for a shake hand on Eunmi, and the later take it.

Eunmi noticed a ring on her finger, and her thoughts that have been hunting her the moment she saw how Joonmyun reacted on her disappeared.

She’s married, she thought, and she smiled genuinely.

“Would you mind if we take a seat here in your table?” he suddenly spoke after not speaking for so long when he’s supposed to, shocking both women. He didn’t know why, but the urge of staying with her is too strong for him to ignore. He knows not even Emi thought of the idea of sitting in the same table with him.

But Eunmi is new about this; she was actually not against of it.  She thought Joonmyun has ever had any female friends, and with her woman instincts trigging on, she thought she could be friends with Emi. They’ve been friends anyway. She’s married-- no threat. And she might share some things about him for her to know.

He actually thought Emi would decline about sharing the table, but no-- with a full smile on her lips, “Oh, sure! Sure! I don’t mind.” She gathered her things on the side, she’s always been welcoming, kind, and sweet and it still bothers him.

And as he watch her take her things on the side of the table, the ring on her finger caught his attention.

She can’t be. He frowned.

It’s been four years.

Four years since they last saw each other.

For years since they last talked to each other.

For years since they separated.

Four years since they got divorced, and she can’t still be wearing their wedding ring.

He’s sure it was their wedding ring. He knows the ring so well; he knows how she loves the ring so much that she never takes it off before. But she can’t be wearing it now anymore, it was useless. Why?

He isn’t even wearing any ring right now, and there she is still wearing that ring. That ring that reminds him how they were binded together with what he thought love.

Eunmi started pulling a chair, and before she could, he pulled it for her. They sat beside each other facing her.

He watched Emi take her bag that was lying on the floor, he waited for her hand to show on top of the table again, but the ring was gone. But he was certain he’s seen it.

No one talked after, he just looked at her. Like taking all the sight of her in front of him, and he doesn’t care if Eunmi, his fiancé is there.

He missed her, he missed Emi so much. He just can’t deny it.

“Wow. I actually don’t know how to start this, but I didn’t know Joonmyun has a friend and is a woman!” his fiancé was again excited. A female friend of him will really thrill his fiancé, like she’ll know a lot with her. And sure, Eunmi will now a lot about him with her.

She knows me too much, too well, more than I know myself. He thought, and a he kept the pained expression that would be seen on his face.

Emi just laughed covering , and again he took it in. He missed that gesture, everything about her now. He missed it so much, and he couldn’t find his tongue to speak again.

“So. . .since when you’ve been friends with my honey?” Eunmi smiled beside him, clasping her hands under her chin, she’s excited to hear a story.

The smile Emi had on her face thinned, she looked at him.

“You got to ask your honey about that.” Again, she laughed and took a sip of her coffee.

His fiancé looked at him, and he snapped his head on her. “Oh, I think fou-“ he cleared his throat. “for so long now. Back then at high school.” A high school friend, true. They’ve been high school lovers, now friends.

He saw Emi swallowed as she still looking at him, the look she’s giving him is too hard not to look back. Like her eyes would always seek for the attention of his eyes.

“High School friend.” Emi assured Eunmi.

“High School! That’s been years ago. You still remember each other!”

How could I not, she’s. .  .

And with the sudden memory of their past, his mood changed.

He stood up, “I think we need to go.” His tone was strained, Eunmi was suddenly worried.

“Honey, why?” her arm was held up by him, ready to drag her out.

“Just. . .we need to leave,” he was talking now with his teeth gritting, “now.”

With that, Eunmi stood up. He saw Emi frowning, figuring what just happened.

He immediately turned his back, pulling his fiancé— not bothering to say good bye to Emi.

“I am looking forward in talking with you again soon!” he heard his fiancé saying those in a rush behind him as he pulled her.

He was mad. No, he wanted to be mad.

He needed to be out of that place now, he just couldn’t stand it.