Chapter 7

Chemistry

Over the next few days, Tao came to a decision. He was going to pester Sehun until he was allowed to visit his house, and if he thought anything was wrong, then…he’d cross that bridge when he came to it.

So during the next few days, Tao dropped numerous hints about wanting to visit his house.

“Sehun, what days are you free?”

Ok, so he wasn't exactly subtle.

“Uhh, why?” Sehun's eyebrows furrowed, and he shook his head to move his fringe out of his face.

“Umm...” , he totally should’ve thought about what to actually say, “do you want to meet up somewhere..?” Tao trailed off, because he sounded like an idiot. And that wasn’t what he wanted to say, why did he have to be so inarticulate? Sehun was looking at him in confusion. He managed to open and close his mouth a few more times before giving up, and turning back to the chemistry work.

Sehun patted him on the back.

“Tomorrow ok with you?” he asked, smirk evident in the way he formed the words. He turned to him, gaping slightly, but couldn't say anything.

“I’ll take that as a yes, then. See you tomorrow” he patted Tao's head, and continued with his own work, leaving Tao staring at him stunned. Tao watched him for a few seconds longer, before doing the same.

After that Tao managed to force himself to focus on the chem work, because despite finding it difficult, he really enjoyed it. But he was stuck on this one question and he had no idea what the answer was, and he could see that Sehun had already answered it. Tao couldn’t see that answer from where he was sat though, so he leant over him. He saw him trying to cheat and pushed him away from his work with a disapproving noise, and covered his work with his arm.

“Please, just question eight?” Tao begged him quietly, keeping an eye out for the teacher. Sehun shook his head,

“Cheat,” he accuses, sending a mock accusatory glare, which Tao returned, with his eyebrows so low over his eyes he probably looked ridiculous. They were so intent on making faces at each other, unconsciously getting closer that-

“Am I interrupting something, boys?” they jerked away from each other in surprise. The teacher had been standing in front of them for a while apparently, judging by the smattering of giggles that rippled across the classroom.

“No,” Sehun and Tao mumbled, turning back to their work, red in the face. Tao kicked him under the table after the teacher had gone back to the front.

“This is all your fault, if you’d just let me see instead of- ow!” he hissed, reaching under the table to rub at the sore spot where Sehun had kicked him back harder.

 

 

The next day Tao ended up sitting on Sehun’s lap in the canteen because there weren’t enough seats to go round again. But he really needed to pee, really bad, but he didn't want to get up. So naturally he was squirming at little, until Sehun shoved at him, telling him to sit still for godssake. But he couldn’t, so he decided now might be a good time to relieve himself. He got up and announced to everyone that he would be right back.

Which he was, feeling much better, but upon returning, he was met with a scene that left him feeling somewhat disgruntled; his place had been taken by none other than Kyunghee. When did she even get here? As he meandered over to them, he wasn't sure how he should be reacting. But he knew that he didn’t feel too good about this, whatever it was. He told himself that it was because if Kyunghee asked Sehun out, then he’d most likely say yes (who in their right mind would say no to her? He could admit to having a small crush on her when they first met,) and then he’d spend a lot less time with him.

As Kyunghee was in a conversation with Jongin on the other side of the small table, he hovered behind them unsure of how to alert them to his existence. He eventually resolved to touch Sehun’s hair, which was just as soft as it looked. He looked up and over his shoulder at him and Tao felt a bit better after seeing Sehun's expression lift on seeing him, and then he nudged Kyunghee,

“Hey, he said only until you came back." Kyunghee defended, "How long have you been standing there?” Tao couldn’t help the smile that fixed itself on his face, as Kyunghee moved over onto some other chair volunteer. Tao took his rightful place on the throne of Sehun.

“Can you get me my bag?” Sehun asked, as he was pinned under Tao's weight. He tried passing it around to him but he just left it on his lap and got his homework out from behind him, unable to properly see. It dawned on Tao that he was feeling the opposite of what he'd been feeling a minute ago.

“What homework is this? It’s not chemistry, is it?” Tao asked, suddenly afraid.

“No, it isn’t, don’t worry. Can I use you as a desk? I can’t exactly reach the table,” he laughed against Tao's back, and it made him feel slightly uncomfortable, in a way that he didn’t remember ever having felt before.

"Sure," Tao replied weakly, wondering why it was suddenly so hot in there.

So he rested his writing pad on Tao's lap and reached both arms around him. One to write with, and the other to keep him from falling off. Tao watched him review his most recent drama project. He was using terms that he didn’t understand though, so he switched to watching his hand around the pen. The tendons on the back of his hand flexed, and all the way up his arm too. He was a lot stronger that his physique let on. Tao's face began to heat up, and Tao looked away quickly. Kyunghee was watching them amusedly, and seeing his reaction to Sehun just then, she maked a heart shape them with her hands, and used it to frame them. Tao was torn between playing along as a joke, or vehemently denying it. In a pressured decision he thought he was going to regret the moment he did it, he pressed his cheek against the top of Sehun's head and smiling dumbly.

“What?” Sehun inquired, drawn from his exercises then saw Kyunghee’s heart and hugged him laughing.

“Oh, hold that pose!” Kyunghee exclaimed, getting out her phone. Mortified, Tao immediately attempted to disengage, but Sehun held him still, despite his struggling. Tao heard the noise of the camera, wincing, then Kyunghee's coos of “Oh my god, you guys.” And then she waved the screen in their direction.

“You two would make the most adorable couple ever, I swear,” she told them, bringing her hands up to her face. This statement confused Tao, because he was under the impression that she was after Sehun, like, in a dating kind of way. But oddly enough the idea of it didn't disgust him in any way, like he'd half expected it too.

“Yep, too bad,” said Sehun, ambiguously. Too bad what? Why? He was about to ask just that but Kyunghee intervened with a request to put the image on facebook, for everyone to see. Which Tao obviously objected to, but Sehun said he didn’t mind, and obviously it was his opinion that mattered the most, so she did it anyway. Tao started to sulk.

“Tao. There’s tons of embarrassing photos of you on facebook, I don’t think adding one more is going to make that much of a difference.” says Kyunghee, trying to console him, “besides, it’s not like it’s a bad picture or anything, it's nice.” Tao glared at her anyway, then reached out for her phone, because the brief glance she'd allowed him earlier wasn’t enough. he wanted to look at it again, to see them together again.

In the picture- which she had adorned with a little heart and a bunch of gittery things, to Tao's utter dismay- Sehun's hands were wrapped around his waist tightly and he was being held so close that it looked truly misleading. They could be legitimately together in this photo.Tao dreaded to think what his mother would say, or worse, his sister, when they saw the photo. But he did want it. He wanted it to be true, and this realisation scared him a little. Well, a lot. And he liked Sehun.

Did that make this evening a date?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

one of my favourite authors died today :( r.i.p terry pratchett

comment and stuff <3

tumblr askfm