Chapter 21

Chemistry

Sehun thought that having to whisper everything he wanted to say for Tao to repeat was going to get annoying very quickly, but at least it gave him an excuse to be closer to his boyfriend, to press his lips next to his ear intimately and make him blush and push him away. Until they were separated by the schedule conflict of course, then he just had to write out what he wanted to say.

Now he was sat on his lap, which he'd objected to at first, but allowed eventually,

“You’re more injured than me, it’s not fair,” he'd insisted. Sehun scoffed silently at him- it was only his throat that was injured so sitting on his lap like this was totally fine. For the most part, he let his chin rest on his shoulder, more a spectator to the conversation than participator. Tao and Jongin end up playfully fighting over a packet of sweets and running around the canteen after one another, until Jongin nearly fell over some people they didn’t know.

He returned red faced and stuttering excuses, and while some of them- Tao and he- try to behave tactfully, Luhan is literally on the floor laughing his off. Still as red as a tomato, Jongin sat in his seat, using the laughing boy as a footrest, which only made him laugh harder. Sehun couldn't help but think him weird. Later, at lunch Sehun needed to buy food, so he dragged Tao into the queue with him, so he could vocalise what he wanted to order for him. 

While he was talking to the dinner lady, Sehun blew in his ear, and he elbowed him in the stomach,

“Do you want food, or not? ‘Cause I’m happy to let you starve,” he threatened, trying not to smile. Sehun left him be until his food was in his hands, at which point he did it again. But to his surprised Tao turned at the last second, blowing back at him as if he'd expected it. Sehun squinted at him, noting the smugness radiating off him.

Sat down with the others, Sehun began methodically feeding his boyfriend chips, until Kyunghee suddenly exclaimed,

“Oh my god! You two should totally do that lady and the tramp thing, where you share spaghetti and meet in the middle! Only with those instead of spaghetti!” She points at the tray of chips between them

The both of us ogled at her and simultaneously say “no”. She looked disappointed for a moment, deprived of her in-real-life romance movie, but when Jongin offers to try it with her, she became her animated self again, tossing the offered food at his face. Jongin looked so hurt and offended afterwards, Sehun suspected that there might have been a hint of honesty underneath all that teasing. 

They caught the bus home together again, and Tao held Sehun's hand slightly tight the whole time, glaring at people nearby with distrust. Sehun his hand with his thumb in an attempt to be reassuring, and he smiled falsely at him. He felt bad for him, the trauma that he'd been feeling after the kidnapping was all his fault too; he was basically the cause of everything bad that had happened lately. But he knew if he voiced these thoughts to him, Tao would tell him to shut up. Besides, he was selfish, and he didn't want to give him up.

They decided to hang out at his house tonight, and they were sitting on the sofa watching some drama thing with a convoluted plot that Tao chose, him sat with his feet across Sehun's legs. He didn’t really understand this drama. Seemed a bit pointless to him. Subtly, he tried to reach for the remote, making his hand crawl like something from a horror movie towards it. Unfortunately Tao noticed him, and they had a hand war on the sofa. Tao won, and they kept watching the sappy drama.

"I have to watch it because I need to catch up with it, this is my mum's favourite so I have to," he made his excuses. Sehun didn't believe a word of it.

The next day followed similarly, except that they went to his place instead of Tao's, since the night before Xiao-Xing had kicked them out of the living room because she wanted to watch something by herself, and gave Sehun the evil eye when they went into his bedroom.

But when he unlocked the door, which is made to be more of an obstacle than it should because Tao was being impatient, fingers sliding under his shirt naughtily, his parents were sat in the kitchen looking very serious and poring over some sheets of paper. They jumped, startled, when the door swung open, and Sehun watched Tao's face drop from excited to anxious. Sehun's dad stod up and stepped forward,

“Sehun, we’ve been contacted by Mr Evans,” it felt to Sehun like there had been some kind of cosmic shift, the only thing holding me down being Tao’s arm around his waist. Mr Evans? The only reason he would contact would be if he was making them move house again. He shook his head, recoiling; he didn’t believe this. He didn’t lose control, how could anyone know?

Except for Tao, and Xiao-Xing…and Jongin, and maybe Tao's mum as well. But they wouldn’t tell anyone, would they?

He squashed the doubt that was beginning to form immediately, not giving it a chance to grow; he completely trusted everyone with the exception of Xiao-Xing, and she’d be too scared to tell anyone, he thought, in case they thought she was insane.

“The first reason he called,” He proceeded cautiously, taking note of the frightened look on his son's face, “is that we need Tao to try and identify some of the people who were accomplices in kidnapping him,” he felt himself starting to relax a little: maybe they wouldn’t have to move away. Even if they did, he would refuse, and throw a tantrum like a child. He would do whatever it tooke to stay.

He wasn't going to lie down and let Tao be taken from him again.

Sehun's father eyed him like he was a wild animal, both of them anticipating the imminent explosion. He realised he was clinging onto Tao. When did that happen?

“The second reason is that he thinks it would be…prudent if we visited him for a while.” Sehun shook his head.

“No. Not gonna happen.” He backed away, and started to ascend the stairs, pulling Tao, who still looked utterly bewildered, with him,

“We have to go, Sehun. We don’t have a choice. And you need to go to the police station tomorrow, I’ll phone your mum for you, ok?” The last bit was directed at his boyfriend. Tao doesn’t make any sign of having heard, too busy watching Sehun, waiting for him to lose it.

He shut his bedroom door, and leaned against it, Tao situated between his legs as he pressed his face into his boyfriend's shoulder and focused on keeping his breathing steady. It was a good thing they weren’t in public when they dropped that little bombshell, Sehun thinks. Tao was his hair, and whispering things in his ear to keep him calm, even though he still didn't understand the implications of Mr Evans' impending arrival. He could read his emotional state, and that was enough for him.

A few tense moments passed, until Sehun decide that he was calm enough for now. Tao pressed their foreheads together, and his big, worried eyes made me feel a bit guilty, because the other boy didn’t actually understand what had just transpired.

“Why is this Mr Evans guy a problem?” He murmured softly.

Sehun sighed internally, unwilling to show his trepidation. He should’ve realised he would have to tell him about this sooner or later,

“When I was little, I couldn’t control my hormone thing, and when I was seven, I had this crazy angry rampage, and actually knocked out a few people. Not with my hands, with my hormone implant.” he rushed to clarify when his eyes widened, “Mr Evans is the person who commissioned me as a 'project', and he’s also the one who decided that, after that incident, I be kept away from other people. This year was the first time I’ve been to real school since then.”

He cooed at him sympathetically, “well I’m glad you did” He kissed him gently and the conversation stopped there for a while.

A little later, Tao was sat on Sehun's lap, knees either side of his thighs and head ducked down so their mouths could meet,

“Does this mean that you’re going to leave?” He asked in between biting his lip and on it sensually. Sehun couldn’t concentrate on the question when he was doing that, heat rising between them, so he didn’t answer. Instead, he dragged his hands up, delicately dragging his fingertips over his t-shirt and making it rise up a little.

Tao pulled away, and asked the question again, lips red and entirely too kissable for having a conversation about something right then. Sehun shrugged petulantly: he honestly didn't know what was going to happen, the possibility of him staying was decreasing fast. Tao raised an eyebrow at him for being childish.

“Yes, it probably means I have to go. I don’t know if I’ll come back though, and I have no idea when we’re going,” Sehun mumbled. Tao considered this sitting back and forgetting about what they had been doing before. “I don’t want to go,” He complained, sulking. 

"I don't want you to go either," Tao announced, lifting Sehun's chin up and bringing their mouths back together. But the atmosphere was different to before, now it was less surging heat and more longing, lingering touches. Sehun would miss this if he was made to leave.


yo if you like kaisoo check out neon lights by me and kira

comment and subscribe and all that <3