Chapter 12

Chemistry

Tao was waiting for Sehun to turn up and meet him after college was over, like he usually did now that they were together. To tell the truth, he didn’t expect him to be so cheesy and, well, romanticJust looking over the messages he'd sent last night made him smile;

To Tao:
im going to sleep now, sweet dreams honey <3

Since he went to his house just a few days ago, and they became a couple, they encountered only a few problems with people treating them badly. For example once, a couple of days after they had ‘come out’ to their friendship group, word had gotten round and a group of clearly homophobic idiots tried to confront them.  Unfortunately for them they chose to do so in the middle of the canteen, in front of all their friends who immediately jumped to their defence.

And then after Jongin and Kyunghee were done ‘protecting’ them (they actually made a great team, despite their constant bickering,) Sehun had pulled Tao onto his lap again, and nuzzled his face right in front of them. He'd been embarrassed at the time, and hidden his face away from the others, who were hooting at them, but almost every night since then, he'd thought back to it and blushed.

When he asked him out, he must have unleashed some kind of cheese monster. Not that Tao was complaining. He checked his phone one more time to see if Sehun had sent him something saying he was going to be late, but there was nothing there. He pocketed it and leant against the wall behind him, staring at his lengthening shadow.

He noticed two suspicious looking men hovering around nearby, one completely bald and the other with hair that tickled his shoulders, and started to feel slightly wary. They kept looking around, as if searching for someone. Should they even be on school grounds? Even though they were hanging around a van some kind of vague logo on the side, they didn’t look like hired hands, the kind of people who did maintenance work. One of them, the bald one, inclined his head in Tao's direction. Suddenly Tao felt worried.

Were they murderers? Rapists? Was he in danger? He rapidly texted Sehun, to tell him to hurry up. He didn’t want to get abducted. Tao's phone buzzed, and he unlocked it to see what Sehun had replied with,

don’t panic, love. give me 10 mins to pack up <3’ 

He smiled. He supposed that was a bit of a stupid idea anyway. Murderers? There? He lived in a nice neighbourhood, nothing like that ever happened around there. Tao texted him some more, until he knew he was only a few minutes away, for sure. Suddenly, something blocked out the light, making him look up, and cry out in alarm. It was the men who were standing around, suddenly they were a lot closer.

Up close they looked even more terrifying, tattoos poking out form under their collars and sleeves, the acrid smell of cigarettes wafting from them combined with their leering expressions. They both towered above Tao in terms of height, and muscle: each one equated to two of him, which was no easy feat considering Tao was tall.

“Are you Tao?” The one with shaggy hair asked Tao. A cold shiver ran down his spine. Why did they know his name? Should he answer? What did it matter, they probably already knew the truth anyway, and lying won’t get me anywhere good. He nodded, hesitantly, not taking his eyes off them. He felt cornered, trapped, backed up against the wall with both of them standing there so imposingly.

“Good,” he grunted. There was a short, tense, silence before the bald one’s arm whipped up abruptly, pushing something against Tao's face. He yelled, utterly terrified, and tried to turn his head away from the attack, kicking out with his feet. His voice came out muffled through the fabric covering his mouth. 

Struggling against his captors pathetically, Tao tried to hold his breath, because it was obvious they were drugging him, but they were much stronger and more patient. It didn't take long before he succumbed to the sweet narcotic, and felt his limbs going slack. He couldn't keep his eyes open, and the last thing he saw before everything went black was the sky as his eyes rolled back into his head.

-

The first thing Tao was aware of when he slowly drifted into consciousness was a pounding headache, so bad he couldn’t even open his eyes at first. He groaned lowly, massaging his eyes with his hands. He felt a little cold, and when he rolled over, he couldn't feel his duvet shifting. He must have kicked it off during the night. It was also too bright. And his limbs ached.

Something was very wrong.

He didn’t know what yet, but something was definitely not right. He tried opening his eyes again, but the throbbing pain behind his eyelids wouldn't let him. Something bleeped, shrill and painful, but he didn’t recognise it as any alarm he'd set on his phone. Maybe his mother-?

“Hello,” The voice was deep, gravelly, and Tao definitely didn’t recognise it. He forced his eyes open, in a valiant attempt to ignore the pounding pain, but he couldn't hold them open for long, and he closed them again immediately. In that short time, he glimpsed a middle-aged man standing over him, face in shadow. The only features he registered were a pair of thin wire glasses.

“Who are you?” Tao managed to force out, sounding very hoarse and strained. It was obvious that he was hurting.

“Hold still,” he told him. Scared, he squirmed, attempting to get away from where this unknown man's voice was coming from, but there was a wall in the way. He called for assistance from somebody outside, and Tao heard several hurried footsteps approaching, and then a pair of hands clamping around his head, arms, and legs. Tao started hyperventillating.

"Let me go!" He shouted, writhing under many hands. A sharp sensation stabbed his left wrist. Were they injecting him with something? Another bleep sounded, and slowly Tao began to lose control of his limbs, unable to fight back against his captors. His words began to slur until he couldn't do anything but moan. They held him down until he lost consciousness for the second time by their hands.

-

Waking up a third time, Tao didn’t hurt at all, so at first he wasn't sure whether it was all just a dream or not. He stared at the ceiling for a while, before he realised it wasn't the one in his room. His was light blue, but this one was made up of white tiles. Anxiety rose up in his chest, leaving him nauseous and afraid. He rolled over to survey the rest of the room.

It was fairly empty; the walls were white, weathered by time, which meant they were really a nasty grey colour, and the door was a whiter white, and glossy looking. There was no doorknob. The floor was a thin, dark coloured carpet, which made him worry- carpets that dark in places like this usually hid suspicious stains. He bit his lip.

He seemed to be lying on the only piece of furniture in the tiny excuse for a room, except for the large mirror. His brain supplied the knowledge that it was probably one-way glass, based on his knowlege from TV shows. So he was being watched, for whatever reason. That was creepy. He wondered if anyone was there now, and shuddered. He curled up on the corner of the bed closest to the wall. It wasn't really much of a bed, but at least it had a mattress, albeit a thin one.

He wondered where he was, and what he possibly could have done to deserve this.

The door opened inwards to reveal a young woman, her hair tied up neatly in a bun and wearing a stark white cold mask. Probably to hide her face from him, to keep her identity hidden.

“Good evening, Tao,” he hadn't even thought about what time it would be. Or how long he was asleep. Did his mother know he was missing yet? He was sure Sehun would know he was gone by now; he was maybe five minutes away from where he was. Was it wrong of him to hope he was worried about him? It felt a little selfish, to wish that on someone, despite knowing that that was irrational.

“How are you feeling now?” She asked, sounding almost genuinely concerned. He shrugged in response. Did she really think he was just going to talk to her? Willingly? 

“Have you figured out why you’re here yet?” She seemed to be mocking him. He glared at her, because no, he hadn't. What could anyone possibly want with him? Tao thought she was smiling at him; he couldn't quite tell, because was covered, but her eyes half closed and her cheeks were lifted.

“I’ll give you a clue;" She says sweetly, "it has to do with your boyfriend,”

Sehun? What could-?

Oh. Genetic experiment. Right.

But why kidnap him? Before he could continue down this thought path, she was talking again,

“I’m sure you know, by now, that he’s a mutant.” She says it like its a foul word, and she repulses him; he’s not a mutant, “and I’m sure he’s told you all about how it works. What we need is the knowledge, the ability to do to other people what has been done to him. Can you imagine how useful this would be? No? I imagine not. I shall enlighten you; if we were to ingrain inside someone’s brain, a gland that produces let's say trichloromethane for example, in pheromone form, then that person would be a living knock out grenade.”

Tao felt sick. They wanted to experiment on people, with harmful chemicals, so that they could hurt people? They wanted to use Sehun and his parent's research as a weapon? 

The woman used a small microphone attatched to her collar to call in another one of her colleagues, who was carrying a camera. He pointed it at him, face completely blank.

“All we need now, is some way to…persuade Sehun to give us what we want,” She did her evil eye smile again, and Tao's stomach plummeted.


OOOHH POOR TAOOO

hahaha please dont kill me but do comment ^_-

tumblr askfm