11

The Art of War

“Argh!” I groaned as I came around. I lifted my hands to clutch my head but was met with some difficulty. I looked down and found my hands chained to the wall. “Oh you’re awake.” A voice spoke from the corner of the cell. I looked up and found JR glaring at me. “Let me go! Get me out of here!” I spat and thrashed around but was held back by the heavy metal chains. He wiped his face with his yellow robes before he flash stepped and appeared in front of me. He gripped my cheeks firmly with one hand and imposed a dangerous question, “Have you regained your lost memories?” Upon hearing that, my head began to spin once again, symbols and images flashed through my mind over and over again, as if someone had destroyed the replay button.

 

Flashback

It all happened 1000 years ago, around 1000 A.D. 12 year old me was walking back home from the bazaar after running some errands, when I bumped into something. I fell backwards onto the floor whilst the basket I was holding, spilled its contents all over the ground. It was five towering figures, dressed in yellow robes, with hoods over their heads. “Look where you’re going kid.” One of them said. I didn’t know what had gotten into me when I rebuked them, “But it was you who jumped in front of me first. I’m 100% sure you were not standing here a while ago.” “Hey look kid, I’m busy right now so don’t disturb me.” He simply replied and turned to walk away with his entourage following him closely. Feeling rather upset and displeased, I picked up a nearby pebble and threw it at his head. The entire group spun around and appeared before me within seconds.

 

“What’s your problem kid?” their leader spoke with a stern voice. “Someone’s got to pay for the damages.” I responded whilst pointing at messy ground. “You’ve got some nerve kid,” one of them chuckled beside me. “Hey you look familiar?” another questioned. “Yeah he looks like your son.” A third person whispered into my ear. “Whoa! W-Where did you come from?” I queried with an element of surprise and fell backwards. “That’s enough. Come on, we’re running late for dinner.” The last one said whilst staring down at me. Their leader then smirked, “I got the perfect plan for dinner.” He picked me up and bit into the side of my neck. The next moment I knew, I was slaughtering each and every person in my village. The bloodthirsty me, was craving for so much as a newborn, that I even killed my own family.

 

After realising what I had done, I grabbed a knife and started to pierce myself. “It’s useless my child.” Their leader watched me cautiously. I peered down at my hands and the wounds I caused were slowly beginning to heal by itself. “W-what have you d-done to me?” I muttered under my breath. “Just turned you into a vampire. No big deal.” He answered and cocked his head to one side. Trepidation filled my whole body, beads of sweat and tear left my skin, onto the ground below me. I cried aloud, “No…” before running headfirst into a wall in front of me. “No!” their leader shouted and tried to stop me but it was too late. Blood was gushing out everywhere and voices of the five of them swirled around in my head before my vision went black.

 

End of flashback